2000 Yanmar 3GM30F Black Smoke and no power

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Thanks for sharing. These posts are great I agree. I now have a link to the stainless replacement parts that I didn't know existed! Good to know.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I thought I would work off yesterday's Thanksgiving Dinner (and given the 2 degree windchill outside).
Also, thought some might like to see inside a 17 year old Mixing Elbow. By far cutting it in half was harder than doing the whole job.
Take note of the blockages at the seawater entry port and where the exhaust and water mix and exit to the exhaust hose.
No wonder I wasn't going anywhere fast.

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
When you get it fixed, run the engine at high RPM. This will make sure that the fuel burns entirely. At low RPM the fuel does not burn well and causes sooth to deposit in the exhaust manifold.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
If you decide to replace your mixing elbow I highly recommend you look at HDI Marine. They make elbows from 316 stainless. I looked at their products and spoke with the owner at the recent Pacific Marine Expo held in Seattle. Check them out.
HDIMarine.net
360-824-0800
hailey.hdimarine@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2018
Hunter Legend 35.5 Daytona Beach
There is a penetrating oil that is way better than PB Blaster. It's call Kroil. I get mine at a professional nut and bolt shop. Maybe NAPA stores carry it.