2 dumb questions about the jib on an o'day 222

Jun 14, 2020
O'day 222 Moored at a lakelot
I'm still very new to this boat (coming from a really basic dinghy) so please excuse my ignorance! Question 1) are most people using the block on the track to route job sheets and Genoa sheets? Of the sparse photos and videos I can find, it seems a good many are doing something fancy and different... Am I missing something obvious or have they just modified their setup beyond stock layouts (looks like some are using barber haulers, others I can't tell but seems to route more directly to the winch). 2) the jib I've got (haven't used yet, just the Genoa so far) is setup for the basic schaefer furling with its own steel cable running the length. But it also has hanks on it. Are they fine when the sail is rolled up? My guess is those are to give an option to mount directly on the forestay if not using the furler..?

Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm a little confused by your post... but I will tell you that ALL sailboats will lead the jib sheets through a guiding block that leads it to the winch. On most sailboats, the "jib lead" or "genoa lead" or "lead block" or simply "lead" (pronounced "leed") will be adjustable.. forward and backward... to trim the sail. A barber hauler does not change fore and aft position, it changes the gap or slot, between the headsail and the mainsail. It's like moving the lead block sideways. You don't really need to worry about barber hauling until you get past basic sail trim.

Your forestay, roller furler, wire luff, sail hank question is not clear to me. Perhaps a picture or a drawing could solve that.

Jun 14, 2020
Thanks! Perhaps in the videos they have additional blocks on tracks further out on the main deck or something. This was one examplehttps://youtu.be/kcBFyZk1VZ4 but either way, it doesn't seem like I'm doing anything crazy then.

Jun 14, 2020
As for the jib... Here's a picture. There's a solid steel cable running through it, my assumption is for hoisting it free from the forestay so it can be furled. But it also has clips which would be jammed within the inner part of it when it furls. I guess in worried that they might wear out spots of the sail from sticking out into it each time it rolls up

Attachments

Jun 14, 2020
Here are two more screenshots of what look like configurations not using the standard jib blocks. I guess I'm just wondering what the advantages of the modification are / making sure I'm not missing something! I haven't been able to get an owners manual yet so I'm mostly guessing at everything :)

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The stock setup for a 222 is with a 110% jib on a wire luff roller furler, the plastic drum Shaeffer kind. It's widely panned. The "eyebrow" jib tracks on the edge of the cabin are standard, and are for adjusting the amount of twist in the jib. The sheets need to route through the block on the jib track on the cabin. Wire luff roller furlers are used just to roll up and store the jib - they are not stiff enough to partially roll up the jib to reef, and though people do that, it won't roll up uniformly. You need a rigid luff furler to reef well. I don't know why there are piston hanks on your jib, that's certainly not standard. As for jib track running down the side decks, yes, this could be added by someone in order to sail with a bigger "Genoa" jib with greater overlap of the mast, and thus the track would need to be mounted further aft than the track on top of the house. Genoas are commonly 135% or 150-155% and could improve speed in lighter winds, but not too light as then the weight of the sail prevents it from setting well in very light air. Because the track on the side deck opens up the sheeting angle, it's likely that a boat fitted with a Genoa will not point quite as well as the original 110% jib. Also, tacking an overlapping sail is a pain.