2-Burner alcohol stove - Cabinet

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 Oday 28. I need to replace the 2-burner stove with a new Origo 3000 that happens to be the same dimensions. I mistakenly threw out the old metal insulating cabinet with gimbals along with the original 2-burner stove. The Origo replaces the 2-burner just fine and they sell gimbals that are small vertical rails that need to mount into a cabinet. I no longer have a cabinet - it is just an empty cavity now. I've contacted Dometic (maker of Origo) and D&R Marine and Defender Marine so far with no resolution other than to custom fabricate the cabinet. This is not my forte.

Does anyone have a cabinet from this model Oday that I can buy? If I have to build it, what materials do you recommend that would cover the open gap in the galley while also providing heat insulating qualities that I need?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In 1984 O'Day probably used an asbestos insulating tape. Be glad that it is gone.

For insulation use fiberglass exhaust wrap. You will find in the "Performance" section of a decent auto parts store. It is used to wrap exhaust pipes on engines. Comes in different widths.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Thanks - what I was getting at is what material should I use to custom build the cabinet that the gimbals screw into. The old one was steel. I guess stainless steel. I'm told I could build it out of wood and it would be safe from a fire hazard as Origo tells me many stoves and installed into wood cabinets - even their gimbal product ad shows it installed into a wood cabinet. Now I need to find someone to help me build it.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I'm advised that stainless stell 316L would work but is very expensive to fabricate and that oak would work as well and not cause an undue risk of fire near the alcohol burner. Origo's own ad shows the unit installed in a wooden cabinet.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Randall,

Yes a frame built of 316 would work but is probably overkill.

Since I'm not familiar with the stove set up on your boat, I am limited in what I can suggest. However, if there is some air space and any raw wood has some insulating material, like the exhaust wrap, you should be fine.

Wood has a higher ignition point than paper (451* F) so the stove would have to be very hot for a very long time to actually set fire to the wood. The Origo canisters are only good for 30 minutes or so at high temps.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I built an open front box made of stained wood, finished it with teak trim and lined the box with sheet aluminium. The surveyor and the insurance company were impressed. The Admiral was too!
But I kept and reused the old gimbels.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Sounds nice. Can you please post a photo of it? The aluminum is between the stove and the open front box on all sides as insulation? How thick is the aluminum and where do you get it? I'm thinking of using oak. How thick is the wood in the box?

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Randall,

Dometic should be able to tell you what the proper clearances are between the stove and combustible material. It's likely in the installation manual.

If it helps, here are some photos of our stock Origo 6000, which is like your 3000 but with an oven below. You can see how close the wood frame is to the unit. There is a big gap behind the unit but I think that's more for the clearance required to swing on the gimble rather than clearance required for heat as the side clearance is much less. The wood piece with the hole actually folds down so is very close to the back of the stove.

I use the stove every morning when I'm on the boat to make coffee and scrambled eggs and have never noticed any of the surrounding area getting unduly hot.

Attachments

May 27, 2004
I'll try this weekend. Not sure of my camera. It hasn't been used in 10 yrs.
Wood is 1/2 in thick and the aluminium is just sheet flashing from Home Despot.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Great, So the aluminum is a barrier between the wood and the stove? Is it screwed into the wood directly?

May 27, 2004
Yes, and it goes up the sides 2" to contain any spilled alcohol.
No, epoxied to the wood, no holes.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Our 272 origo is built into (top) of teak cabinet.....w/door underneath. the stainless steel origo burner is not in contact with
any of the teak.....I could take a picture of mine tomorrow and email it to you....or mail it which ever you prefer....I can also measure the extent of the cabinet itself under the origo. w/pertinent pictures.....Patrick in Wichita

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Can you consider not using gimbals? Then you can just screw it down to a piece of wood to mount it. Do you really expect to cook while at sea or just when anchored? Only the burners and the rack the pans sit on get hot. The case does not heat up as air flows through it for combustion in the burner.

May 27, 2004
Yes Jibes, but on the odd occasion you want hot coffee while underway, having gimbals, a kettle and 2 pot holder clamps (available from Origo) make life easier and safer.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Yes Jibes, but on the odd occasion you want hot coffee while underway, having gimbals, a kettle and 2 pot holder clamps (available from Origo) make life easier and safer.
If it's just coffee (or tea, or hot chocolate, etc.)you want, you can store boiling water in a vacuum pump thermos and brew coffee using it. Then you don't have to light the stove underway.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I make a 6 cup pot of coffee first thing in the morning on the origo 4000...(2) burner...no gimbals...but normally we'll only drink 3 or so cups so if I'm going for morning sail, I just set the pot in the sink...if it would tip it would not matter as it would go down the drain....thing is it doesn't tip....We also go up in coves, anchor, and do egg's benedict, etc. but it still doesn't tip...I guess it is because we are not usually sailing while I am cooking.. Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Randall, I am going to the lake after running a few errands....will try and take a decent pictures.....can you email me your email address and I'll do as well as I can.....my email is pcoulter2@cox.net in Wichita, Kansas.....my wife fell down the companion way steps and borke her tibia and crushed the internal areas of her knee....also fibia? so she needs some medicine and I have to run to the physicians office....will not be walking for approx. 3 months....not good.....just for fun, I'm going to go to google and search for origo 4000 and see what I get......pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Randall, I am going to the lake, but you need to go to google and type in Origo 4000 stove installations....the very first
hit will give you a ton of photos of the 4000 installed.....keep in mind there are different models...at least the 4000 and there is a 5000 that has an oven.....we do not have the oven, we have the 4000 as is pictured in the photographs....our looks exactly like those pictured....