2 anchors on the 40.5 bow roller?? how??

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Trying to figure out how to safely carry my 2 existing anchors (1/Fortress 23 and 1/Manson 44Lb Supreme) on my existing bow roller without having to have an expensive bow roller modification, would love to be able to carry both on the bow, but don't see how, I know that finding anyone that has the like anchors and boat my be slim, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Capt. Ron

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Trying to figure out how to safely carry my 2 existing anchors (1/Fortress 23 and 1/Manson 44Lb Supreme) on my existing bow roller without having to have an expensive bow roller modification, would love to be able to carry both on the bow, but don't see how, I know that finding anyone that has the like anchors and boat my be slim, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Capt. Ron
Do you have any photos of your bow area?

Feb 3, 2014
Hunter 44 aft cockpit Miami, FL
If your boat is like mine, another challenge is how to separate the rodes within your anchor locker. I have thought that I would have to glass-in a mid-line separator to avoid tangles. And how I would switch rapidly and safely from one chain to another on the windlass is a mystery to me.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Ron, maybe hang the smaller one from pulpit w/ canvas bag hanging or on deck for chain/rode? Chief

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
For A VERY Short Time

... I had a Bruce on the smaller roller. I don't know what I was thinking since the Fortress has only been wet about maybe a dozen times in 16 years, given what little anchoring is outside of the northern Channel Islands in SoCal. I didn't have the rode attached. Had it in a bag in the locker (with only about 10' of chain). It interfered with the Fortress and was a PITA, so I took it off and sold it fast.

(Edit to add: I now carry a second Fortress knocked down with its rode on a stern locker. Only used it once to kedge off when I went aground in San Diego :redface: )

Jun 6, 2004
- - Port Stanley
Hello Capt Ron:
Funny you ask this question as I was pondering the same question on my Hunter 40 Legend. I have come to the conclusion that I can't put my 20kg Rocna with 275ft of 5/16 chain and a FX23 Fortress with 250ft of chain and rode. Even with my re-constructed anchor locker there is just not enough room for all this chain and rode in the locker.
I am going to add the Fortress as a stern anchor and if need be I can move it forward and use it as a bow anchor. This will kill two birds with one stone. I am going to buy a reel rode holder for the Fortress.
http://www.quickline.us/quickline-flat-rop e-and-reel.aspx
( click on Quick line flat rope and reel at left )
The only issue I still have to solve is how to store the 50ft of chain for the fortress anchor on the stern.
I hope this helps.
Doug

Apr 12, 2009
Hunter 1996 hunter 40.5 Green Cove Springs FL
Capt. Ron

image-3424392375.jpg

Don't know if you will get this pick but this is my set up on a 40.5. Used a curved piece of starboard ? as a separator

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I came to the same conclusion also.
Since I don't need a second anchor for my primary sailing location it has not been high on my list of things to figure out.
I'm thinking that the only way would be to only have one chain/rode and some sort of shackle to connect the rode to the anchor. Probably have to have some short piece of chain on each anchor to hold them in place on the spirit and to make it easier to change the rode out.
I'm not a fan of shackles on rodes for a lot of reasons but the primary would be the hassle of redoing the safety wire each time you switch anchors.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
I came to the same conclusion also.
Since I don't need a second anchor for my primary sailing location it has not been high on my list of things to figure out.
I'm thinking that the only way would be to only have one chain/rode and some sort of shackle to connect the rode to the anchor. Probably have to have some short piece of chain on each anchor to hold them in place on the spirit and to make it easier to change the rode out.
I'm not a fan of shackles on rodes for a lot of reasons but the primary would be the hassle of redoing the safety wire each time you switch anchors.
Thanks all, for your suggestions, I may just pack up the Fortress in a carry bag, and use it as deemed necessary, having said that, Bill because you are on the Chesapeake, and we are planning to come up to the bay for a couple of months, question for you what would be your choice of a primary anchor the Manson or the Fortress I have used both in sand and mud with no issues.

Thanks much,
Ron

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Use the Fortress. More surface area for the mud bottom. I use a danforth style anchor for my legend 37.5, with 50 ft of chain, and then nylon rode. I am in the Chesapeake (rock hall). The only suggestion is to keep the scope 5:1 as storms can come up quickly, and some around me have dragged due to insufficient scope. We have never dragged, even in a blow.

Ben

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I have a Fortress mounted on the bow pulpit. I was worried a line could catch on it but so far no problem. I have the chain coming through the bow roller into a mesh anchor rode bag I keep in the anchor locker. I just lift out on the deck when anchoring with the Manson.
I think Fortress recommends very little chain on their anchors, maybe 25 ft if I recall.
Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
hey Bob, thank you for your response, I was going to mount the Fortress on the bow rail but figured it would be a issue, worried about the head sail getting caught on an edge because the holder bracket would have to be mounted on the side of the pulpit because of the "cut away: of the forward section of the bow pulpit, isn't yours the same if so how and where are you hanging the Fortress?? your right very little chain needed for the Fortress.

Thanks much,
Ron

I have a Fortress mounted on the bow pulpit. I was worried a line could catch on it but so far no problem. I have the chain coming through the bow roller into a mesh anchor rode bag I keep in the anchor locker. I just lift out on the deck when anchoring with the Manson.
I think Fortress recommends very little chain on their anchors, maybe 25 ft if I recall.
Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Thanks Bob, got the pic's, that might work, i'll give it a try.
Thanks much,
Ron

Here are a couple of pics of my setup. I'm sailing in Bahamas so Internet can be too slow for pics or not there at all !
Bob