1999 Hunter 420 Passage rudder

hughvr

Oct 9, 2011
Hunter 420 Hudson Point Marina, J Cty, NJ
I noticed over the last several years that my steering under power or sail kept getting worse. I replaced the steering system and autopilot twice. Finally, I could hardly steer on a trip to Cape Cod from the Chesapeake last month so pulled in and locked my steering in place, dove under the boat and physically moved the rudder while my wife watched the quadrant at the top of the rudder post to see if it was moving. It wasn't, but I could swing the rudder about 45 degrees. I did some research and found that Hunter made their own rudders for several years from the late 1990s to around 2003 with a fiberglass stock that had a SS tube attached to the top couple of feet. There were several reports of these failing and the rudder dropping off. I am having Foss Foam Florida make a new one. Anyone else have this problem? Attached are some photos that show the fiberglass shaft before and after it was cut off to sent to Foss, and the SS tube at the end, covered by a plastic sleeve.

Attachments

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
I can only comment about Foss Foam Rudders. I had them make one for my 1982 H36. It has seen some weather, and a grounding or two over the past 4 years. Money well spent! Good call.

Apr 4, 2013
Hunter 420 passage Turkey
Hunter 420 Passage 2002.

We had the same problem and ours broke in Biscay. It was getting stiffer and stiffer to steer - especially under engine power. We had to go into neutral to change course.

Attached are photos, you could put a knitting needle through the folds in the GRP layup. No support from Hunter or Foss Foam as the rudder is not under warranty.
Foss Foam did make us a new one quickly and sent it to La Coruna in Spain, but they took it out of the mould too quickly and the bearing was 20mm off centre. We had to remake it and claim back the cost from them, but they were very difficult to deal with.
Off centre bearing.jpg
cross-section.jpg

hughvr

Oct 9, 2011
Foss made mine from a piece of 3" SS tube and made up the difference at the bottom with a rubber and plastic bushing, rather than a fiberglass tube like they did for yours. That should keep it centered.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
physically moved the rudder while my wife watched the quadrant at the top of the rudder post to see if it was moving. It wasn't, but I could swing the rudder about 45 degrees.
What broke? Was the shaft moving inside the rudder (err...I mean the rudder moving around the shaft) or was the shaft twisting at the bottom or was the shaft spinning inside the quadrant?

On my H376 from 1996 my rudder looks almost identical and I hate it. So glad to see that Hunter recently got with the program and have modern rudders. Well, I should say Hated it, I modified it because the rudder put too much stress on the helm. I added 2 inches on the leading edge to balance it. Now steering can be done with a finger, even healed at 20+ degrees and going hull speed.

So, even though the shaft was designed to take 10,000 lbs of pressure, I guess something else wasn't up to the snuff to handle all that pressure from the original design. I sure am glad I modified mine.

hughvr

Oct 9, 2011
The 1' piece of SS tube embedded into the end of the fiberglass shaft started rotating until it was moving almost 45 degrees. The rudder and fiberglass shaft were all one piece. It was the SS tube at the end that connected to the quadrant and that was coming loose from the fiberglass shaft. I expect the rudder was about to fall off. The photo is of the inside of the tube that holds the rudder post.

Attachments

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
The 1' piece of SS tube embedded into the end of the fiberglass shaft started rotating until it was moving almost 45 degrees.
I see. Glad I modified my rudder to take pressure off that. In my opinion, these rudders were too far out of balance causing too much pressure on the steering gear and now I know, the connection of the fiberglass to the SS tube. Thanks for clarifying that. I will keep an eye on mine from here on out. I wonder how many other rudders have come to this fate.

hughvr

Oct 9, 2011
The new rudder has arrived. Note how they made a very large plastic bushing (about 8" diameter). Very different from the original composite/fiberglass one. Hopefully it will fit.

Attachments