1998 Hunter 410 Windlass Seized

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Severna Park, MD MD
Hello Folks,

As said above, my 1998 Hunter 410 has a Lewmar model RMI or RM1 50\F (hard to read) electric windlass. I have attached pics too. Over this past season the motor would stop working. Sometimes repeated press/release of the up/down switch would move it, other times it would take a light tap on the handle with a hammer to free it up. I am sure it's getting power, the relay is fine (I can hear the click), and the switch is working fine. I am sure it's the motor itself. This last time it was working and I pulled the chain in real tight with the anchor in the track and then it would not release. I tried the hammer method but no luck. I just saw a video on how to free the wheel to manually power/raise the anchor but I can't determine how to do that on my windlass as I cannot find an unlock method.
Here are my questions:

1) Anyone have this issue and know the problem/cause?
2) Anyone have any maintenance manual for this?
3) I'd prefer not to replace it. It's lasted this long so I suspect it's a good windlass if I can repair it.
4) Other advice? I am 3 hrs away from the boat so I cannot answer too many questions.

Thanks

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
well when mine did that about 6-7 years ago it was a broken magnet in the motor

To manually drop the anchor just loosen the not on the top with a winch handle. But to raise you handle man handle it or tie a line to the rode and run ban to a cockpit winch.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am not sure what you mean by hammering. If you are hammering the motor then it may need new carbon contacts replaced. You can do that yourself or take it to a auto shop.

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
well when mine did that about 6-7 years ago it was a broken magnet in the motor

To manually drop the anchor just loosen the not on the top with a winch handle. But to raise you handle man handle it or tie a line to the rode and run ban to a cockpit winch.
There is nothing on top to loosen, unless I'm missing what you are referring to?

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
I am not sure what you mean by hammering. If you are hammering the motor then it may need new carbon contacts replaced. You can do that yourself or take it to a auto shop.
I usually put the handle in the slot, then hit the handle with a hammer as I can't push it hard enough for anything to happen.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I took an other look at your photos and I see a socket for winch handle, but I am not sure what it is used for. On Maxwell windlass the socket is in the centre and when loosened it releases the friction on the clutch so you can let the chain down without using the motor. I guess to raise the anchor you will have to do that by hand.

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
OK, Update, the pic of the drum shows a small "arm" at the bottom of the drum. This is a "Control Arm" and will disengage the drum from the motor and allow the drum to spin freely. It also seems like the motor is the culprit and there is a motor cover which is supposed to be removable without removing the entire motor. Removing this may reveal sediment and dust which may be clogging the motor contacts. I'll go to the boat in the next week or two to try to remove these parts and service. I have had the boat since 2013 and none of this has been serviced, so it's long overdue. Hopefully these motor contacts are ruined!

Oct 11, 2015
hunter 410 sydney
Hi we found with ours that over time water had got down in to the start and motor and I just slowly ceased up over time. We thought we had serviced well but not well enough. new winless was our answer.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 410 Port Washington
Hi
I believe you have the same Simpon Lawarence as on our 1998. 410.
I have had to service it several times over the 21 years of cruising. Last year while on the hard I lowered 200' of chain and it stopped. I wound up replacing the motor from slparts.com in the U.K. And having the gear box repaired by Florida Hydrolics and Rigging. It has worked perfectly since then. Fingers crossed!

If you losen the nut the gypsie will free wheel but you cannot turn the capstan.