1998 Hunter 340

Feb 21, 2018
Columbia 30 Channel Islands Harbor
Good afternoon. I'm in the process of purchasing a Hinter 340. most of my sailing will be single handed. With the jib winches located on the cabin top ahead of the helm, one would hVe to leave the helm to make the tack. Wondering if anyone has relocated those winches on the combing?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Consider installing an autopilot, then you would not need to relocate the cabin winches to the coaming / gunnel. All my winches are on the cabin top and I can tack with the auotpilot, leave the helm to release the jib sheet from the winch then pull the sail over and winch it on the other side. Then wrap the lazy sheet onto the wich to prepare for the next tack and go back to the helm.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I have a friend who just sold his 1998 340. He had 2 smaller winches just forward of the fiberglass arch on each side on the flat area on the gunnel. He did 99 % of his sailing singlehanded and those smaller winches worked very well for him. So it would be worth the investment to install 2 new winches rather than remove and relocate your others. I base that on how I saw him sail alone…he was great at it and actually made it look easy.
I’m not sure what size winch they were, but they were just smaller than your smaller winch on the port side. And fit nicely in those areas and didn’t interfere with seating and entering the boat from the sides.
Fair winds sailing your new boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Solo sailing is a blast.
Recommend you get properly sized self tailing winches for your combing install. They make handling the sheets so easy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I sail solo a lot. Even when manning the helm I’ll put the autopilot on for tacking, go forward to work the sheets and then back to manning the helm.
My goal when tacking is to release the working sheet just as the jib breaks and haul in the new working sheet before the sail fully fills. Frequently I‘ll only need to crank a turn or two on the winch. if I’m fast enough the jib will be set on the new tack without cranking on the jib.

I agree with @jssailem, don’t relocate the winches, install new self trailers.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yep…I have primary winches for jib sheets that I can reach from the helm in addition to cabin top winches for halyards.

I single-hand most if the time. I do have an AP, so I can have Otto steer some. But I can tack easily from behind the wheel even without AP.

Greg

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Good afternoon. I'm in the process of purchasing a Hinter 340. most of my sailing will be single handed. With the jib winches located on the cabin top ahead of the helm, one would hVe to leave the helm to make the tack. Wondering if anyone has relocated those winches on the combing?
Congratulations on your decision, I have enjoyed our '99 model for 18 years. This question comes up in one form or another for the H340 (and probably other boats) periodically, for instance, here just 2 weeks ago:

As I said on that thread, you can develop a process to tack this boat single handed by recognizing that you don't need to stand behind the wheel all the time and by planning ahead for the tack. Suggest you sail the boat for a time before you make a commitment to that kind of money but that's me. :)

I also remember much older threads where people were considering doing what you are asking about on their H340s, and the general consensus was the geometry just wouldn't work for the jib sheet, given the angle between the jib fairleads and the coaming positions. The coaming winches that were available on this boat are used for spinnaker sheets.

Jul 29, 2004
He had 2 smaller winches just forward of the fiberglass arch on each side on the flat area on the gunnel. He did 99 % of his sailing singlehanded and those smaller winches worked very well for him.
@sailcapt340 any chance you have a picture (or memory) of the sheet routing from the jib track to that location? Curious how he solved the problem of the lead from the jib fairlead to the winch so as to not cause overwrap.

Jul 29, 2004
Bill's posts from racing his 340, "Sunspot Baby" give a clear picture of the running rigging.. An autopilot is a very good crewmember to have aboard when singlehanding..
Yes, @Bill19233 has a third cabin top winch located outboard on the starboard side, where my turning block/line stopper for the starboard jib sheet is located. Of course he races with crew. Looks handy, but not sure of cost/benefit for me, cruising not racing.

Screen shot from one of his videos

1628442839537.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I've been looking through some photos but most are from to far away to see the routing of his lines. But I do remember a set of small spinlocks (2 pulleys each) mounted where, in your photo, there is a second outside winch. But more forward than your outside winch. His boat had all the sets up for a spinnaker, he just didn't have one. Which, probably accounts for the small winches just in front of the arch.
So dual purpose, but they do work.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
My 340 came with three winches on the cabin top. Two Lewmar 30’s for jib sheets and headsail halyards. And a 40 for the main halyard and main sheet.
I mounted two winches on the cockpit coaming forward of the arch. Lewmar 30’s like the cabin top winches. Someone had a BOGO sale. I use them for spinnaker sheets. I have tried to use them for jib sheets, but they just override with the down angle from the cabin top tracks. You would need to install an angled pad under them. Auto pilot is a better solution IMO. Or in the meantime roll it up, tack on main alone and then roll it back out.
And if you’re on Facebook, check out our 336/340 group. Over 200 members from all over the world. A 340 owner from Sweden just joined.

Last edited: