1995 Hunter 35.5 Leak in Aft. cabin.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35.5 Shady Side, MD
Hi Guys,

I have a leak in the aft. cabin on my 1995 Hunter 35.5 Legend.
The leak is coming from the upper joint between the aft bulkhead and the ceiling where I believe the base (triangular) of the base (circular) of the pedestal is attached to the deck (Photos). I think the leak is coming from one or more of the bolts/screws that attach that base of the base (triangular) of the pedestal. So I believe I need to re-bed the bolts, but I need to know:
How do I get access to the inside of the cover inside the aft. cabin to loosen the nuts?
How is the pedestal attached to the deck, if with bolts how do I get to the nuts?

Thank you.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Old trick is to close everything inside, tape a piece of plastic over companionway, slit the plastic big enough for a leaf blower to fit tube thru, tape plastic to tube and start blower. You are pressuring the cabin. Air has to escape. Have a person with a bucket of water brushing all fittings , etc and where you see bubbling is where you find leaks

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you for your tips.
I was wondering if anybody has removed or re-bedded the triangular pedestal base that attaches to the deck.
How do you get access to the bolt nuts?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............I was wondering if anybody has removed or re-bedded the triangular pedestal base that attaches to the deck. How do you get access to the bolt nuts?
When I replaced the linear drive on my Hunter 386 I had to remove the cockpit floor like you appear to have done AND unscrewed the molded aft cabin ceiling cover to expose the bolt nuts. Hopefully, your boat has an aft cabin ceiling cover that is screwed into the ceiling for ease of removal.

Jan 22, 2008
The molded aft cabin ceiling can't be unscrewed, it is in one piece glued. I would have to cut it and I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. "sail sfbay", do you have a picture of your ceiling cover? maybe I would have to make something similar.
Thank you.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........... "sail sfbay", do you have a picture of your ceiling cover? maybe I would have to make something similar........
Wish I did but I sold the boat. Would have been nice if Hunter designed more access panels and ceiling covers. Thinking out of the box..........cut an access hole and install a round screwed-in acess plate.

Last edited: