1994 H26

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Merry Christmas all. I have a 94 H26 that I will be working on this winter that has significant tiller slop. It will move about 1" in either direction without moving the rudder. Has anyone rebuilt there's to eliminate this? I feel like I had seen a posting about inserting a wood dowel and drilling it out but I searched and cannot find it. Of anyone has experienced this please let me know. Thank you

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Where is the slop? Between the tiller an rudder head? In the pointless and gudgeons? Or between the rudder head and blade?

I don't think the dowel will fix anything other than preventing the blade from kicking up.

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Thanks for the response Fred. The slop is between the tiller and the rudder head

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
On my boat (1995 H26) there are two plastic spacer plates on either side between the tiller and the head. These are disintegrating and need to be replaced before they completely fall apart. Perhaps you have the same issue. This would definitely cause slop. The plates are about 1/8 th inch thick.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Not the best picture but if you expand this pic you can see the white spacer plates between the rudder head (black anodized) and the wooden tiller

Attachments

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Based on your picture it looks like I'm missing the large white spacer at the back of the rudder that tiller rests on. Do you know of anyone that sells that or will I have to make one? Thanks again!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
dfishere;

Are you talking about a white delrin spacer that the bolt holding the tiller goes thru. I see you have a wood tiller which replaced the original aluminum tiller.

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
I think that is the spacer I'm talking about. All he plastic pieces are missing and I assume that is my problem. My tiller is aluminum and the one shown in that picture is Fred's. Please let me know if you know where to get these and if they will help the slop issue?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
I have temporarily used the stock aluminum tiller with all of the same plastic parts. It seems to work without slop as well.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit;

did I give you any of the white plastic spacers. Give me a call. I tried calling this afternoon. dave condon

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I forgot to say there is white plastic sheets made by Evergreen used in modeling that might fit the bill to cut spacers out with at hobby stores or train stores in various thickness.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
dfisher;

Will you please take a better photo of that piece as I am trying to help you sir. Advise if you want my help as we might have the pieces you are searching for. I will wait till I hear from you before proceeding any further. I know of someone who else offered help but no response from you ever came.

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Thanks Dave. I will take some pictures of the rudder head when I get back in town later this week.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
you are obviously missing the cylindrical spacer as well as the flat spacers. The two rudder head plates should essentially be parallel over their entire surface. From the pictures I am even questioning if your rudder blade is thick enough or if it requires shimming as well, but it is hard to see from this angle.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
dfisher has sent me more information and I intend to help him with the spacers if possible.

Kermit, if you are reading this you rascal, please send those spacer you have to me. If only one, I will have something to go by. Then I will make spares and send to him.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm on my son-in-law's boat at Edisto Island even as we speak. He and his friend are digging clams. Spacers will come next week. Dang it's cold out here!

Attachments