1993 Hunter 30T

Apr 21, 2019
Hunter 30T Luttrell TN
Hello, I'm new here and would appreciate your thoughts, opinions, ideals, comments and suggestions. . We are looking at a 1993 Hunter 30T and wondering if any H 30T owners have sailed to the Bahamas on their boat and how the trip went for them. We are looking to start spending 3-6 months (winters) living on the boat and basically cruise around FL and the Bahamas and possibly other places around the Caribbean. I'm new to sailing and don't have a lot of experience. Will not consider going off shore until I've gained more experience, knowledge and education. With that being said, I see the capsize number on the H 30T is 2.01-2.08 according to where I've looked and blue water boats are typically under 2.0. Being a huge safety nut, I guess what I'm asking is about the boats capability and safety factor to make these types of passages. We absolutely love the H 30T design, but are unsure of the safety factor. I'm hoping others that have these boats or have been on these boats or folks that have friends that have these boats, can share their thoughts and experiences. Thank You in advance.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
With modern weather apps you can pick your passage weather

During your education phase be sure to include weather watching and how to read the weather forecast. This forum is a good place to start

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We don't sail in that area but I'll chime in anyway. That tall mast causes more heeling than some other similar size boats. The rigging isn't real beefy. Having said that, weather would be my greatest concern. With a good forecast or waiting for one should be the answer.

Ken

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I had a 30T on a lake and loved it. When I moved to Florida I bought a 410. You can live and sail a 30 footer on the ocean but I wouldn't for many reasons. Size matters. Comfort, safety, speed, etc.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Love my 90' 30. T stands for tall cabin not rig. I race so I love the power tall sail give me. But if I were to do a lot of long distance cruising I'd put 4 reef points in main. And put reef points in head sail. Boats amazing for what it is.