1991 P42 Bow Rollers

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The back end of our bow roller on our boat has two small rollers, one above the other, and one large one on the front end. Paid Hunter Marine $30 many years ago for a broken aft end replacement. After years of use the aft end lower one is worn out from use. A company in Texas will make one for $75. Does anyone have any other alternatives? I have a woodworking lathe in my shop. May just buy some Delrin stock and make my own, that is unless someone has a better alternative. I suppose I could swap the lower broken one for the good upper one, but I would still like to find a better source.

Bow roller.jpg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You could buy rollers that are sold for the front of power boat trailers. Don't know what size you'd need, but go to Defender.com and see what sizes they sell, what they run and their composition. I've read of others who said that they worked in a similar application.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Terry- Without knowing the dimensions of the rollers that you need, it is hard to suggest a solution. I found that a standard yellow bow roller for a trailer was a perfect fit for diameter and length, but the hole was only 1/2" and the Hunter original was 3/4". So I made an adapter so that I could use the 1/2" hole rollers. Phil and the SBO crew thought it was a good idea and they offer them in their store. Check it out:

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Rich, the two rear rollers are 3” wide, 1-3/4” in diameter that tapers down to about a half of an inch to the center. Pin/axel diameter is 3/8”. I’ve looked around for something close off the shelf, and am still looking.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Terry- If the main problem is the pin diameter, you could drill the frame to accept a 1/2" pin and then just use a SS bolt. I can tell you from personal experience that trying to drill out a roller won't work. At least the black rubber ones are not drill-able.

Dec 25, 2000
If the main problem is the pin diameter, you could drill the frame to accept a 1/2" pin and then just use a SS bolt.
Hi Rich, pin size not a problem. Just looking for one that is reasonably close in dimensions. I have the tools to modify. Not a big problem or priority. Just looking.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Just ordered replacement rollers from Merimarine in WV. Good reviews fast reply will post after delivery
Made from black delrin

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
How much $?
I looked at their website. Unless I was looking in the wrong place, the 3" rollers started at $55. They are custom made so that may not be a high price. But if a non-custom off-the-shelf roller can be found, the price would be like $5-8.

Look for yourself-

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Ordered fri mid day and they are already on the way
Looked all around and could not find the size i wanted
Also the original beneteau hardware is 12mm center hole the ones available are 1/2 inch
So.....by the time you convert the shaft and settle for a less than size price seemed fair to me
Also most of the rollers seemed to be manued from nylon

These rollers are delrin,will be on the boat long after i am not
Sized up to 3 1/2 dia from 2 7/8 less work for the windless 2 inch width #1 style

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Terry,

Why does the chain rose ( or line) run down between the two rollers? Do you have dual anchors? The line has always gone over roller(s) In my-experience. .

1580056947775.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Terry,

Why does the chain rose ( or line) run down between the two rollers? Do you have dual anchors? The line has always gone over roller(s) In my-experience. .

View attachment 174396
No idea. Hunter built it this way and that is what it is. No dual anchors, but a spare sits in it's own trough to the right of the main one. Our bow roller has two integrated troughs.

I've considered just swapping the lower broken one with the upper good one, but...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Unless things changed dramatically over the years, the Hunter factory never rigged an anchor on a retail sold boat. The dealer did all the commissioning from the boxes of goodies that Hunter shipped with the boat or, had the commissioning crew bring to the site.
And to me, that begs the question, "Did whoever rigged the anchor rig it properly?".

Dec 25, 2000
And to me, that begs the question, "Did whoever rigged the anchor rig it properly?".
No idea. Setup seems to work just fine since we we took possession from the PO in 2002. It appears the PO accepted the setup when they took possession from the dealer. Anchored hundreds of times over the years and never much of a problem. Always open to a better way, if one exists, but so far the system works well and no need to make a change. I do tweak the process from time to time, however.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you use a long chain rode? Have tried to retrieve in string wind?
have had the rode or chain “bar tight” in strong winds?

Dec 25, 2000
Do you use a long chain rode? Have tried to retrieve in string wind?
have had the rode or chain “bar tight” in strong winds?
Primary chain 50'. Yes and yes.