1991 P42 Bow Rollers

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Maybe the perspective of the picture deceives me. Terry to you have a shot from one side of the anchor roller that shows the respective heights of the rollers and the guides that from the sides of the anchor-roller assembly? I'm curious about the lead when the boat is "pulling-up" on the anchor as it is "out there".

If it's not convenient, don't feel compelled to do it quickly ;^)))))

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Terry, like other have said the boat trailer rollers are really a very cheap solution. I put one of the tranpartnet yellow ones on mine. Is holding up much better than the stock white one. They are about $10. If you need to shorten the roller up I have done so with a chop saw/ power miter box.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I put one of the tranpartnet yellow ones on mine. Is holding up much better than the stock white one.
I've looked at some of those and they might work. Just need to get a couple that are close in size then trim them as you say.

I'm curious about the lead when the boat is "pulling-up" on the anchor as it is "out there".
I'm going to the boat this weekend and will take some pics for reference. The rear rollers get no rode strain to speak of. The larger front one will get the most and it has held up well and remains in fair condition.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hi Rich, the two rear rollers are 3” wide, 1-3/4” in diameter that tapers down to about a half of an inch to the center. Pin/axel diameter is 3/8”. I’ve looked around for something close off the shelf, and am still looking.

Terry,

1580262959571.png

The are neoprene rollers (not just a soft "rubber") that hold up. They don't crack. You might look for them. (Defender, West, and others sell these at a variety of prices.

Stainless Steel Replacement Wheel for Anchor Roller 3 inches | WIND-W30 -- They are mad in a variety of widths.

Rich Stidger posted above a solution that I'd think I'd implement, if I were you.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
. Hunter built it this way and that is what it is. No dual anchors, but a spare sits in it's own trough to the right of the main one. Our bow roller has two integrated troughs.
I'm sure the second , upper/forward , one is to keep the rode from jumping out the the channel piece. I was at Bacon Sails today and they have a "roller" that is little,more than an inch diameter- should suffice in the front postion. 7 bucks, white delrin. Sorry, I forgot the maker.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
No idea. Setup seems to work just fine since we we took possession from the PO in 2002. It appears the PO accepted the setup when they took possession from the dealer. Anchored hundreds of times over the years and never much of a problem. Always open to a better way, if one exists, but so far the system works well and no need to make a change. I do tweak the process from time to time, however.
It could be the aft roller is there to prevent the anchor from contacting the roller furler drum when recovering. I had that on my boat when new and simply installed a large SS clevis pin to prevent contact.

Dec 25, 2000
It could be the aft roller is there to prevent the anchor from contacting the roller furler drum when recovering. I had that on my boat when new and simply installed a large SS clevis pin to prevent contact.
Possibly, Rick, but unlikely, as our drum is below deck.
I was at Bacon Sails today and they have a "roller" that is little,more than an inch diameter- should suffice in the front postion
Hmm, I'll have to look into that one, Ron. Just might work. Do you recall the pin hole diameter?

Dec 25, 2000
Checked on the boat today and measured the center diameter of the small bow rollers. One inch.

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Terry - are the rollers in the picture feeding into the chain locker or out over the water in the direction you'd drop the anchor? It looks to me like the bow is toward the top of the picture.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry - are the rollers in the picture feeding into the chain locker or out over the water in the direction you'd drop the anchor? It looks to me like the bow is toward the top of the picture.
It is. The aft end of the bow roller contains the two smaller rollers that sort of feed the rode into the locker. Setup does not work very well, so I end up hand feeding the rode into the locker. That way I can keep an eye on the whole operation in order to keep everything in proper working order.

Happy with the operation both launching and retrieving the anchor by hand. Manual (foot switch) electric windlass hoists the anchor as I feed the rode into the locker. Manual drop (launch) by hand seems to work just fine. Not a big deal and all part of the cruising experience. No plan to make any major changes, just a tweak now and then.

Dec 25, 2000
Just installed my new bow rollers from a private source. Looks and works perfectly.

Bow roller  new00001.JPG

Bow roller  new00002.JPG