1990 hunter 27 with tiller

May 10, 2016
Hunter 27 Magothy river
We owned a hunter 23 for years and sold it 5 years ago. We are excited to get back to sailing and we are going to go look at a hunter 27 with tiller and outboard tomorrow. Can any of you give me some key things to look at with these boats. I completely overhauled the 23 so I am handy. Thanks

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Ok so no one knows anything I waited a day to respond because I had a 23 as well but moved up to the thirty but there similar your 27 has that nice open stern with ladder and a stepable mast and you say comes with a trailer that's nice but it's still heavy 3/4 truck heavy and deep look for rusty keel the keel needs to be completely stripped every 10 yr or so when extensive rust forms to 're seal using epoxy bottom coat blisters are a prob or can be but the small ones can be left alone and will dry a boat kept on trailer for a long time years and years I'd be worried about hull deformation but great boat the motor 1/3 value if inboard the sails 1/3rd value

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
I've sent you several private messages about this boat. You might want to read those.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If I recall that wing keel mfg. by Mars Metals was solid lead, not cast iron. Not sure about that but adding epoxy barrier coating will not hurt that and then of course anti fouling paint and would suggest checking locally to see what works well.

As for the keel bolts, if no water is coming thru, the best way to handle that is to leave it alone,.

Even though there is a hinged mast step, there was no supplied nor offered mast raising system for the boat as the mast was too heavy. I use to be a dealer who introduced both versions outboard motor/inboard diesel engine many years ago at Annapolis and sold quite a few as a dealer. Yes I did make a few mast raise systems for boats to include this one but due to the weight plus now being retired, I will not offere any advice on that.

As for transport, I had a mfg. build a specific trailer for that boat which I pulled with pickup truck either dooley or standard but with diesel or a heavy duty gas engine.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
Yep, my 1990 Hunter 27-2 has a lead keel. I've only been able to raise and lower my mast with the use of a boom truck. It is too hard to handle if you are trying to manually raise it. I've pulled my boat/trailer with my Ford 150 4X4 with a 5.4 liter V8, but it's a real load to handle.

May 10, 2016
Hunter 27 Magothy river
Thanks for your help we purchased the 27 with the tiller tonight. How much paint is needed to paint the bottom of the 27? Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DG You are welcome sir and figure on two gallons of anti fouling paint with two coatings and a third at the water line if memory recalls the many of them thar rascals I painted over the years. Not sure if leaving the boat in the water year round or taking it out during the winter. Send me a personal email by this forum email. As a former dealer who sold a lot of those boats, I recall introducing it. I think I know something.

May 10, 2016
Hunter 27 Magothy river
Thanks Dave, Another question, the masthead light is out, what type of bulb does it use. Before I send up my kid I need to know what we are replacing and I assume it is a simple screwdriver to open it correct? Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
look at the owners manual and it should state the specific mast light but if you do not have the manual look under above boat information. Phil Herring has gone to great lengths to include those manuals.