1989 C&C Mk2 Bow Roller and Windlass

Jul 10, 2021
C&C MK2 Charleston Harbor
Hello-
first post to the forums here. I have a new-to-me 1989 C&C MK2 sailboat (Not a Catalina - I've seen prior confusion) and I am loving exploring and figuring out everything about the boat. First detail that I would like to change is that there is no windlass or even a bow roller on this boat. The existing gunnel or pulpit (or what the appropriate name is that protects the bow and connects to the foresail) doesn't look like it would accommodate without revising or removing. Anyone installed a bow roller on this boat have ideas for options for me?

Also, there's a small amount of deck fore of the anchor well hatch that might accommodate a windlass, albeit a compact one probably. Any ideas there?

Thanks!

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't have a C&C and certainly haven't done a project like this. But obviously there isn't a lot of space. I think you could probably put a windlass in the anchor locker by adding structure to mount it on. And you need a place for chain fall. For the anchor roller maybe you can fit the SS arm under the furler with a machined hole in it to allow for the forestay chain plate. That might add up to a custom fabrication. Or maybe a machine shop could make the hole for you. Maybe something like this?
On second view of pics - no that wouldn't work. Can you remove the ramming rod bow chock fitting?
Or maybe cut it from the chock forward and put the roller out the side?
Hopefully someone has a better idea.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Good Old Boat magazine had an article in the July-August issue starting on pg 34 about a anchor locker/bobstay re-do. It isn't the answer to your problem but it might give some insight to the project.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @tfletche to the SBO forums. Congrats on your boat.

Looking at the space in your anchor Locker and the bow deck space, I am reminded of the statement I heard in the Marina office by the maintenance superintendent.

If they were easy to operate they would not call them sailboats.

You are going to be challenged to fix a windlass and a bow roller on the boat with out compromising the locker as it presently exists and the bow chocks you are using for the bow lines.

Bow roller widths are about 4 inches. The challenge would be that as you slide the anchor up under the furler, you will be banging the furler each time your launch the anchor. You could try to angle the roller away from the furler and use a bow bridle to secure the anchor. It looks like you would loose access to the chocks with the roller over the chocks. Then there is the issue of space between the bow and the anchor locker. Just not enough of it.

It is almost like the boat design was for the anchor to be manually handled.

Hope you find a solution. Boats are a series of compromises.