1987 Hunter 23: Mast Light Deck Fittings

Dec 19, 2018
Hunter 23 Humboldt Bay
Hello,

I need to replace my mast light deck fittings: 1) 2-prong male plug at base of mast is connected to wires that travel to the mast light and 2) 2-hole female fitting that is attached to the deck and is connected to wires from the battery/fuse block. The attached picture shows Item 1) on the top in the picture and Item 2) on the bottom in the picture (arrangement of items in the photo was by chance and not by design).

Please, can you tell me how to procure these two fittings or similar (and installed in a straight-forward manner)? It would be easiest if they fit the original 3-hole pattern. But, that is not absolutely necessary: if I must I will adjust to a new configuration.

Your suggestions are welcome,

Mark
Owner/skipper: Coral Rose

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Alll original equipment gone. Replacing plug as it is defective, checking toggle switch, replacing defective wiring and suggested going to auto store to look at gasket material

Dec 19, 2018
Hunter 23 Humboldt Bay
Hi Dave,

Yes, I got your list. I am going to do all that and reply back to this thread with a report on the outcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I opened mine up, cleaned and resealed it. Didn't feel like having to get the same size or tidy up the hole in the deck for a new size.

Dec 19, 2018
Hunter 23 Humboldt Bay
Crazy Dave Condon recommended: "All original equipment gone. Replacing plug as it is defective, checking toggle switch, replacing defective wiring and suggested going to auto store to look at gasket material."

Here is what I did: I replaced the 2-prong plug (both male and female) with the Perko plug sold by the Hunter site store. Then I checked the toggle switch with a multi-meter and it was fine. I replaced the wiring with 16 gauge wire. I replaced the gasket with aviation grade waterproof liquid gasket material (I put on one coat, waited for that to dry (about 2.5 hours), put on a second coat and waited for that to dry (another 2.5 hours) and then replaced the mast light dome glass on the mast light dome fitting. It appears to be completely waterproof: I have not tested it as yet because the boat is indoors during its winter storage period.

After I did all that I proceeded to check all connections with a multi-meter and jumper cables. I found that the mast light was not getting power. The problem was found to be in the post connections on the mast light. I removed the wires, and cleaned everything (posts, wire, and mast light receiving fitting) with a wire brush. After I did that the mast light lit up and it seemed the problem was solved. Thus, the problem appeared to be, not with the 2 prong plug, but with the mast light receiver fitting/connection. To be specific, the problem seemed to be that the mast light post connections were corroded and not conducting.

Many thanks to Crazy Dave Condon and everyone else that replied to this thread!

I hope this helps anyone having this same problem,

Mark
Coral Rose: Owner and Skipper

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As always I appreciate your report. Although it is a mark of a gentleman to say thank you, it is not necessary Call anytime

Crazy Dave Condon