1987 H31, Rudder Issue? Where to start?

Mar 20, 2021
Hunter 31' sailing sloop 1987 Scudder Marina
I recently noticed that the rudder touches the hull on both sides when it's turned either to the far right or far left. It bottoms out on both sides scraping the hull which now requires repair and paint. I don't know much about rudders or the steering mechanisms of these boats....any advise as to where I should start?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Here is what my H31 (‘83) rudder looks like. As well as a drawing of the rudder assembly it may be that the rudder is just too snug against the hull. A forum member JMCE1587 lost his rudder on his H31 and would know more about it. However I am pretty sure that the depth of your rudder is adjustable.
6D5EFFB5-9664-4FD1-AD22-E7DCECD00E0C.jpeg
FB51EABA-D40C-42A1-8BFC-85C62BA6E05E.jpeg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Here is a picture of JMCE1587’s newly installed rudder.
D18856F1-187D-4AAF-BDB6-03ACC373A00A.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@BMercer welcome to the SBO forum. Pleased you decided to join the crew. Your in good company.

A lot of us did not know much about the boats when we started. It is still a couple of months till spring will call us to sail the waters. Great time to do two things. One go and sit in your boat under the tarps. Explore all the voids and compartments you can find. Open them, empty them. Identify all the wires and hoses that go through them. When the weather warms and the sun shines there is no time to explore. We all would rather go sailing.

And two do some reading about the boats and what makes them go.

It sounds like your rudder swings past the stops that are designed to limit the angle the rudder can travel. If you turn the rudder to a point that it is 90 degrees to the center line of your boat it does nothing to turn the boat. It also puts the rudder in a compromising position where a force hitting the rudder might snap it off. So check the steering system out. Rotate it and learn how the rotation of the wheel drives the quadrant under the deck to rotate the rudder. Then verify that the stops on the quadrant are in place and working.

it will save you having to repair the bottom scratches and scrapes.

When you get the chance Take some photos and post them here. Can really help us to answer the questions you post b

Mar 20, 2021
Here is what my H31 (‘83) rudder looks like. As well as a drawing of the rudder assembly it may be that the rudder is just too snug against the hull. A forum member JMCE1587 lost his rudder on his H31 and would know more about it. However I am pretty sure that the depth of your rudder is adjustable.View attachment 191837View attachment 191838
Wow, great info. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2021
@BMercer welcome to the SBO forum. Pleased you decided to join the crew. Your in good company.

A lot of us did not know much about the boats when we started. It is still a couple of months till spring will call us to sail the waters. Great time to do two things. One go and sit in your boat under the tarps. Explore all the voids and compartments you can find. Open them, empty them. Identify all the wires and hoses that go through them. When the weather warms and the sun shines there is no time to explore. We all would rather go sailing.

And two do some reading about the boats and what makes them go.

It sounds like your rudder swings past the stops that are designed to limit the angle the rudder can travel. If you turn the rudder to a point that it is 90 degrees to the center line of your boat it does nothing to turn the boat. It also puts the rudder in a compromising position where a force hitting the rudder might snap it off. So check the steering system out. Rotate it and learn how the rotation of the wheel drives the quadrant under the deck to rotate the rudder. Then verify that the stops on the quadrant are in place and working.

it will save you having to repair the bottom scratches and scrapes.

When you get the chance Take some photos and post them here. Can really help us to answer the questions you post b
Thank you for the kind welcome. I have done a LOT of work on my boat to date...I'm learning tons, but the rudder and steering system is new to me. I will post some pictures shortly. Thank you, BM

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Could this be caused from a worn bushing? If you can move the rudder back and forth it may be the problem.
Hope this helps.
Don

Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
The rudder post on my 33.5 is held to the radial drive wheel with a 5/8" bolt that passes through the rudder post stock and through a machined hole in drive wheel. The rudder bushing will cause side to side movement if worn but the bolt prevents the post from moving up or down. The area that is rubbing is within the range of motion of the rudder before it gets to the stop. My guess is that either the rudder is swollen from water intrusion or there was a previous repair that wasn't done properly. Seems like the solution may involve dropping the rudder. Not a fun task.

Mar 23, 2020
Hunter 30G Nanaimo
I bought a ‘89 Hunter 30 with a damaged rudder last year and replaced the rudder last summer. The setup is the same as the sketch above, but has a Teflon disc between the rudder and hull and another under the radial drive wheel. Can it be that someone dropped the rudder in the past and placed both discs under the drive wheel lifting the rudder up? If your boat has the aluminum radial drive wheel with stainless steel bolts, I suggest working on the bolts to ensure they are free before getting to the yard. Took many heating and cooling cycles over 2 weeks to get the through bolt loose
iOS Image - 1902659076.jpg
iOS Image - 1655026915.jpg

Attachments

Mar 20, 2021
The rudder post on my 33.5 is held to the radial drive wheel with a 5/8" bolt that passes through the rudder post stock and through a machined hole in drive wheel. The rudder bushing will cause side to side movement if worn but the bolt prevents the post from moving up or down. The area that is rubbing is within the range of motion of the rudder before it gets to the stop. My guess is that either the rudder is swollen from water intrusion or there was a previous repair that wasn't done properly. Seems like the solution may involve dropping the rudder. Not a fun task.
Thank you, I plan on tackling this fix in a couple of weeks. BM

Mar 20, 2021
I bought a ‘89 Hunter 30 with a damaged rudder last year and replaced the rudder last summer. The setup is the same as the sketch above, but has a Teflon disc between the rudder and hull and another under the radial drive wheel. Can it be that someone dropped the rudder in the past and placed both discs under the drive wheel lifting the rudder up? If your boat has the aluminum radial drive wheel with stainless steel bolts, I suggest working on the bolts to ensure they are free before getting to the yard. Took many heating and cooling cycles over 2 weeks to get the through bolt looseView attachment 192469View attachment 192470
Thanks for the information, I will consider all of these suggestions once I get into fixing this...greatly appreciated!