1987 Catalina 34

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm considering a 2.5 hour drive to look at this boat with my wife. We have been burned out on poorly maintained lake boats so this is a risk and I'm not entirely sure my wife will want to even entertain it. It looks good from the pics, has a lot of 'new' stuff listed and I spent 30+ min on the phone with Mr. Rooke of Rooke sails and he and I agreed to a straight shooter approach based on my experience with boat shopping with the wife. Overall I think this could be a great step up from our O'Day 25. But I think I will miss the easy, simple, low draft, abilities of my 25 with this fin keel at 5' 7". I'll have to actually pay attention and be selective and on Lake Guntersville.

I've done some research and this model is listed as a 1991, but according to C34.org wiki the stern should be a walk through transom, which this is clearly not in the pictures. I'm wondering if the walk through transom was an option and not standard? Should I care, or try to get the HIN and double check the year and info?

I've been all over the map with my wife, we sort of have a plan to buy new in 5-10 years on gulf coast assuming kids progress well to school and on, so I'm happy to stick with the old O'Day 25, but she doesn't like the heel in puffy winds and it does get crowded with 4+ on board, especially when family shows up. The deal I'm getting on the 34 offers a very good deal that would be relatively easy for me to swing, so not worried on the cost size. Lake Guntersville is a great lake but has a lot of depth changes, which I never pay attention to so 5'7" has me on the fence, I think if it was the shoal draft it would be perfect for fixing my worries.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/catalina-34-3494024/?refSource=standard listing

Comments, criticism, etc are welcome?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are right, it should have a walkthru transom. Maybe it's an older boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ya I'm really hoping someone confirms it is an option on 1991, can anyone tell me if the HIN is on the stern corner or other locations?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I've done some research and this model is listed as a 1991, but according to C34.org wiki the stern should be a walk through transom, which this is clearly not in the pictures. I'm wondering if the walk through transom was an option and not standard? Should I care, or try to get the HIN and double check the year and info?
Glad you found our wiki. 1991 was the year they started switching, so some earlier 1991 boats would have the standard Mark I transom, while later ones would have the sugar scoop (only a few made - Mark I 1/4!) and then the full walk throughs later in 1991. The HIN should still be on the upper starboard transom. The link below has a HIN identifier, too.

You might be interested in this link with two subjects about why we bought and what to look for:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

We had a Catalina 25 for 13 years before we bought our C34 20 years ago. Can you tell we like our boat? :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
First off, the C34 is only a foot shorter and a little narrower than a C36, so it's a REALLY comfortable boat. Catalinas are well-made, and very friendly sailors.

Asking the seller for the Hull Id Number is a reasonable request, particularly if out-of-town. HIN on Catalinas is on the starboard side, just below the rub rail, all the way aft. It's also on all the owner's papers, such as title, state registration, or insurance, so an easy thing for your owner to give you, but I'd verify it with the number actually engraved on the hull. Use an online decoder to tell you all about the manufacture of the boat - http://www.hinsearchplus.com/hs_userguide.aspx You can also use the HIN to do a search for liens etc. for about $25. This is not nearly as good as the CarFax-type searches on autos, but it will give you an idea if there are outstanding liens such as taxes or environmental.

As far as draft, it usually comes into practice in slow-speeds and anchoring rather than sailing. If you're ripping along at 6 knots, you're not going in places that are even close to 8-foot depths for safety factors, either with a 6-foot or a 4-foot draft boat. You may slowly motor or anchor in such areas, but you certainly aren't going at speed because a sunken rock or log will damage your keel. It's common to hear people with shoal drafts talk about how much more lake they can sail on, but they typically go in the same places that I do. That foot less of draft doesn't make a difference.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Stu Jackson , I figured you see my post. It is a long short, the wife is burned out on old boats after sniffing that new boat smell. And the facts are nobody needs an upgrade, but this one sure did get my attention and I believe it is a good deal on what we have agreed to. In the end I'd be out 5 hours of driving and I'm sure part of my negotiation will include a side shopping trip on the return for my wife in Nashville so it won't be a total waste in her mind:)

Glad you found our wiki. 1991 was the year they started switching, so some earlier 1991 boats would have the standard Mark I transom, while later ones would have the sugar scoop (only a few made - Mark I 1/4!) and then the full walk throughs later in 1991. The HIN should still be on the upper starboard transom. The link below has a HIN identifier, too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Looks very much like my 1986 C34. You will love the volume below, along with the under cockpit cabin.
Many positives with this boat. If I had to come up with a negative it would be the lack of engine access. A 2 and a half hour drive with your best girl is well worth the time....

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When I ran out of local possibilities I had to expand my search and settle on a boat 6 hrs away. Sometimes that's what it takes.
I agree with getting the hull number but more important, know how to read the hull number when you get there.
Yeah, you might want to save yourself the trip but a year off won't make a difference if it is in great shape. Now if . Now if its an 87 or older it might.

@Stu Jackson Were 34's like the C30's with plywood in the keel stubs, ammeters and such? I know most of those issues were corrected on C30s by 89. Does the M25-XP indicate the earliest year this boat may be?

John, Your wife will love the stability of the bigger boat. You'll miss the simplicity of the O'day.

What kind of bottom does the lake have and what's the average depth? Will you miss getting in close to shore like you did on your O'day?
On our bay it is mud, sand and grass with the deepest water about 12'. Easy to run into mud if you don't watch the depth display. Just be sure you have the shallow alarm set. I've always had my depth offset set for water depth. I plan to change it this year for depth under the keel.
And have a good chart plotter to help with staying out of shallow areas.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So my wife actually did like what she saw. She flipped through the pics several times and of course focused on the nice interior space and large wide cockpit . Next Sunday we will drive up to check it out in detail. I'm excited and yet I really like the simple O'day 25. The fact is my wife doesn't like the tender nature of the O'day and it is more important to me to have a happy wife and family sailing comfortable and worry free.

Lake Guntersville is mud and weeds depth in the channel and our biggest sailing area should be fine. I'll loose some area we enjoy but should be ok with a functional depth gage and charts.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I'm excited and yet I really like the simple O'day 25. The fact is my wife doesn't like the tender nature of the O'day and it is more important to me to have a happy wife and family sailing comfortable and worry free.
John,
When I bought the Express 30, I found that it isn't as much fun as sailing the Mac. but it is more enjoyable. (If that makes sense) My wife doesn't like the tender nature either so as a result she goes out more often on the bigger boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Were 34's like the C30's with plywood in the keel stubs, ammeters and such? I know most of those issues were corrected on C30s by 89. Does the M25-XP indicate the earliest year this boat may be?
Plywood cores lasted til only mid-88, I researched that eons ago. By 89 they'd finished with the ammeters, too. Engines not so much although once past 86 (mine) and early 87 they were mostly M25XPs.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Are there any concern with thru holes and valves on this vintage boat like the old Odays with gate valves?

Looks like Next Saturday we will make the trip up to see the boat

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
A 89 I looked at had the same Marelon seacocks I have. They are screwed onto the stem of the thru hull. That model supposedly can break off easily. If the seacock has a round base as part of it, that is flush to the hull, they have probably been upgraded.
Mine turn so stiff I'm replacing them this spring.

Feb 26, 2004
We have Marelon, too. Except for my big head discharge valve which I replaced 5 years ago, no problems with any others.
Newer Mark II boats had the newer Marelon handles. These will NOT be on an '89 boat, but thought you should know:
MARELON THRU HULL VALVES

Please be careful with the valve handles and screws.

See:http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2729.0.html

You should read through that entire topic: Critical Upgrades. You'll be way ahead when you do look at the boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Stu Jackson , glad to read that now. Are the seacocks easy to find, I'd like to look at them all on my inspection. Love to know there locations.

Never mind, just found the c34 manual on the c34 web site, wow! What a resource for a owner . Reading it now for next Saturday.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@John Tubb
I took a look around the C34 web site and came across this thread. There is a link in the first post to a document about buying an older (86) C34.
Great article! In fact, there are so many good ideas for somewhat simple upgrades and storage ideas, I'm putting in my Favorites bookmarks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks @Stu Jackson , I figured you see my post. It is a long short, the wife is burned out on old boats after sniffing that new boat smell. And the facts are nobody needs an upgrade, but this one sure did get my attention and I believe it is a good deal on what we have agreed to. In the end I'd be out 5 hours of driving and I'm sure part of my negotiation will include a side shopping trip on the return for my wife in Nashville so it won't be a total waste in her mind:)
I flew twice to PNW (Seattle & Vavcouver) and return from Long Beach a few years back to look at boats that I ultimately did not buy. If it seems that a wasted five-hr RT drive is potentially too big of a “risk” to upgrade to something your wife might be happier with, then I’d suggest you’re not ready to move up.