1985 Pearson 34 centerboard info

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Does anyone have any info on the centerboard itself? weight? construction? pin location?

I am also interested in info on the boat in general. I know that stanchion gaskets can be an issue and to check for moisture around stanchion bases. Anything else? I am really interested in CB info though as I cant find any online.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I had a 1986 36-2 with centerboard. Loved it! On that boat, the centerboard was about 250 lbs made of fiberglass. Pin and attachment cable was at the top as well offering what appeared to be a strange angle. When I bought the boat I full disassembled the cable run, replaced the cable and all unions and also had to rebuild the bottom sheave housing as the bronze sheave fused to the stainless steel housing. after I reassembled and for the 10 years I had the boat, the board came up with ease....... very smooth. Loved it and do miss the benefits.

Good luck

Greg

Apr 1, 2010
Thanks for the reply @NYSail it is hard to find info on this!

Where was the pin located?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
The pin on the board of down is located on the top forward corner........ do you own the boat? Access for me was when in the sling lifted high and then I would lower board to service.
And you are correct about Stanchions..... inspect and re-bed ASAP. Also check the deck mounted jib track..... my decks were very wet there. When I bought boat I re-cored entire deck up to foredeck where is was dry.

Greg

Apr 1, 2010
No, its a boat that I am considering buying. The owner didn't use the board so he "bolted" it in place. Im getting pretty serious about the boat and want to return the board to service before/when I take possession.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
There is a couple sailing the Bahamas on a similar vintage Pearson and have a you tube video blog (Sailing Saoirse) on boat prep before departing one of the videos is about dropping the center board and replacing cable and refinishing the CB. Here is the link.
They are good about replying to posts on their blog. Might be helpful. Good luck.

Apr 1, 2010
Does anyone know what the construction of the centerboard is? Is there wood in there?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
The boat in the video is not a 36-2 as is your model...... centerboard different. Not sure of the construction of the board however if you call Rudy at D & R Marine he may know. He is a great resource as he worked for several years at Pearson on the production of these boats. Crazy the guy bolted the board up..... it was such a pleasure and you could feel the difference in tracking as you lowered it. I would not always bring it all the way down...... sometime just a few feet. Good luck.

Greg

Apr 1, 2010
We talked to Rudy two days ago and he was certain that it was "lead or some other metal" but that was all. its still more than I knew before so I am grateful for that, but not much help for the situation. lead would be fine if drilled through, cast iron... not so much!

Kind of a moot point right now as the seller sort of flipped out when I asked him to see part of the genoa, the entire ordeal disintegrated from there. I have moved on to other boats.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
They are nice boats.... I loved my 1986 36-2 with centerboard. If the board had lead or metal in it it was minimal. On my 36-2 it weighed 250 lbs.... it was 4+ feet long and 2+ feet wide.

Good Luck with our search!
Greg