1985 H31 Stern Bilge

Mar 17, 2016
Hunter 31 Punta Gorda Florida
I've known for several years that my 1985 H31 has a small bilge behind the main bilge. It is under the grate that lies just in front of the companionway steps and just behind the main bilge. It has been dry on previous inspections so I've not given it much thought. However I did find water there recently and discovered that the water was coming around a rubber stopper that was placed (by someone) at the very rear of the small bilge. I've enclosed a few pictures - one showing the water and the plug in the small bilge and one with my temporary fix to stop the leak. The fix is just a 1.5in PVC pipe wedged against the plug with a rubber membrane in between . The pipe presses against the membrane and the rear section to hold in the water leak.

My questions are: 1) why is this rubber plug back here. and 2) were is the water coming from that is behind the rubber plug. I'm thinking the next time I have the boat on the hard I'll remove the plug and glass over this hole.

Attachments

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have the same "stern bilge" on my '83 H31. Don't have a plug there . My understanding is that bilge is there to gather any oil/fuel leaks from the engine and not have the oil/fuel mix with water in the more forward bilge. I have a small amount of water that a acumulates in the aft bilge area. The water is salt, the amounts are insignificant I don't have any leaks in seacocks, I think that it is a very small amount of water that my PSS shaft seal throws when using the engine (only in gear)

Mar 17, 2016
Hunter 31 Punta Gorda Florida
Thanks for the input HMT2; what you say makes sense. It helps to know you do not have a plug there as it affirms this plug was installed by a previous owner. I'm speculating that he kept the boat on a lift and used the plug to drain this bilge area. I'll plan to glass it over when I get it out of the water - I'm not a fan of such modifications.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Capt. Jack,
To be clear, the hole at the engine side of what you are calling the stern bilge is how the manufacturer built the boat. The hole is there to allow fluids that drain into the engine compartment to collect in that area but not mix with the main bilge and get pimped overboard. Here is a picture of my stern bilge.
IMG_2822.JPG