1985 31H chainplate rebedding

Jan 24, 2021
Hunter 31 Nashua
Hi All, I recently started a rather significant refit and coming up shortly I want to rebed my chainplates (along with everything else of course). I have inspected the angle stock that's down below and there no signs of previous leaks but before I start I'd like to have a better understanding of how it will come apart. My question is, is the deck fitting permanently attached to the stainless rod that extends below? If that's the case, once the old sealant is broke free, does the entire deck fitting have to be turned to unthread the rod? I would prefer to rebed with butyl tape but don't see how that would be possible if it has to be turned back in to tighten down. Any clarity is appreciated.. so far, we've already removed the seahood and companionway hatch slides and are now moving on to everything else topside before we start on the interior.. thanks!

Jan 24, 2021
Hunter 31 Nashua
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The tie rod is welded to the deck fitting, so it does have to be turned.. 4200 or sikaflex or something like that may be a better fix than an attempt with butyl tape. It may be that you could wrap multiple layers of the tape on the very top of the rod, same length as s deck thickness but I don’t know if the butyl would stay through the 4-6 turns required. Maine Sail may have some words on that approach?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I would not expect you to turn the deck chainplate. Can you slack the shrouds at the turnbuckles fastened to the chainplate as shown in the owner's manual below, make your repair then re-tune per your manual. Hope that helps.
1617808822428.png

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Send me a PM on questions on this. Did this repair before. Jerry