1984 Hunter 31 quarter berth headliner leak.

Aug 6, 2015
Hunter 31 Havre de Grace
I'm sorry if this has been covered. I can not find a way to search this forum easily, if I'm overlooking a search option for Hunter Owner other than manually going through each page, please let me know. The fiberglass headliner in the quarter berth leaks when we are on a starboard tack. Water runs down the portside carpeting. I'm assuming this water is from washing the boat and rain water. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where this is coming from. Has anyone ever had this issue? Thank you for your time and attention to this.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was a recent thread in with poster @Crazy Dave Condon described a method to find a leak You can search his posts. The short version is to pressurize the cabin with a vacuum cleaner (In reverse), and paint a water/soap mixture around deck hardware and windows until you see bubbles.
Since it leaks on starboard I wold suspect water is pooling somewhere.
The thread name is "Hunter23 Water under floor boards"

• Helpful
Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
I had to remove the heavy rubber rubrail on my H410 to find leaks (large cracks actually) in the deck flange of the deck-hull joint. It looks like the boat had suffered at least one HARD crash on the port side by the boarding gate. I filled the crack with copious amounts of 4200. I inspected the starboard side as well and found some flaws in the gelcoat and fiberglass which got a similar treatment. The aft cabin has been dry ever since.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm off to move a boat or I would find these threads for you, but this topic comes up from time to time. If you search my posts (sorry, but at least its not every thread on the forum), you will find at least 3 threads related to leaks that I responded in. Most were not started by me.

I had a 1983 model H31. Lots of places can leak, but at least one of these threads was really in depth. Good luck.

Dubo

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 340 Deltaville Va
We have used a washable marker with good success locating water leaks. Draw a horizonal line where you suspect a leak. Wait for rain or hose down boat, look for break in line drawn. That should help narrow down point of entry. Wash marker away when done. Do a small test before you start. Not meant for porous surfaces.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ok, found them. Hope these help. Some of the threads are long, but are worth a read because multiple ideas on sources of leaks are mentioned.

Lots of places for a leak to start, then lots of ways for the water to move to a seemingly unrelated place or places.

On my H31 one main issue for the quarterberth problem was the scupper drain passing through the cockpit floor. A lesser issue was the rubber gasket/seal around the manual bilge pump on the transom coaming. Read these threads, take your time, and remember that any hardware should be bedded with butyl tape. Good luck.