1984 C&C 41 world cruiser?

May 20, 2019
Catalina 36 MKI GIG HARBOR
Hi everyone,

I currently sail an Ericson 27 and am looking at upgrading to my endgame boat. Under a tight budget, I'm looking at a C&C 41 1984. I've been reading some mixed reviews from other than C&C owners about whether its really a blue water cruiser or not. While I am a long way from crossing an ocean, I'm just curious, could this boat be a competent ocean crosser? I know anything can float across an ocean with the right people handling it, but some are just made better for it and make it easier.

In the next 10 years, I would likely switch to a boat a bit more live aboard layed out, but for now the C&C has the price that's right with a good amount of space.

If any owners would be willing to toss their experiences, confidences, or lack thereof regarding ocean crossing a 41, I sure would love to hear it before I buy it!

Thanks,

Preston

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the boat was designed for C&C as a pure IOR racer in the early 80's. now you can answer your own question.

you are the 'rockstar', Preston, put your full rockstar racing crew on it and have a great crossing. it's design is at the totally opposite end of the spectrum from say 'shorthanded cruiser' sailing. IOR boats were known to be quite squirrely downwind, narrow on the ends and wide in the middle. comfort was not part of the design.

take lots of pictures and post them here. we like pictures here on SBO.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
I'm not a racer. Which is why I'm not well versed in IOR boats. Spending days and days researching online slowly finding good tid bits. I will likely only use this boat for crusing the Puget Sound, San Juan's, BC, and Alaska, with my kids. All coastal stuff and inland waters for the majority of it, and essentially single handed. When you say "quite squirly downwind", are we talking you just have to keep your hand on it, keep your eye on it, constantly making those little adjustments..or are we talking suit up, strap in, and sh** your pants when it suddenly jibes without warning type of squirely?

May 25, 2012
in a blow, downwind they are extremely demanding. the second of your choices

May 25, 2012
they are nice boats. designed to win races. with a full race crew aboard.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If I were looking for a Bluewater boat in the age and size that you cite, I'd be looking for an 1986 Island Packet 38.

May 25, 2012
IOR boats were designed to beat the IOR handicap rule. fast for their rating. chubby boats were given a break, so they made them chubby. they have that weird bustle at the waterline in the stern to beat the rated waterline measurement. they have huge rudders to try and control them off the wind. the have narrow mains with huge jibs with the mast placed farther aft. none of these things say "comfort", none of these things say "easy to handle". fun boats to sail in lighter air and/or a race crew aboard. back in the 80's my friends loved racing their C&Cs. and they won.

May 25, 2012
keep small jibs up front and she'll be fine. that vessel can do what you want. of course. they were nice boats. they were designed as pure racers. everything is give and take.
my boat is very easy to sail and is very comfortable and safe and SLOW by todays standards. it has long overhangs with lots of extra buoyancy but that extra overhang is known to be grabbed by a following wave and thrown into a broach when sailing dead down wind. however in 46 years with the boat i have never broached it. it's designed as a coastal cruiser not a trade wind runner.
you asked about crossing oceans Preston in the OP., leapfrogging the coast from your home is a different set of priorities.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
We have one that docks next to us, they race and we race, we go out with 2, 3 or 4 crew, they go out with at least 6 better with 8. Is it fast sure is, the only time we see them is at the line. I know the C&C's had wet core syndrome so if you go that direction make sure you have it review very closely. She has beautiful lines as well, but blue cruiser I wouldn't put that high on my list.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you are interested I have a dock neighbor who is selling his Passport 40 1987 which has been meticulously kept, this is (2) owner boat is absolutely beautiful, never has seen salt water, the owner spends more time polishing than sailing. It is currently out of the water, I believe that his wife took ill causing the need to sell, a truly unfortunate thing. If you are interested I can send you the link to the ad, it is priced to sell at 129K

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The right first step in boat buying is to buy a boat that the designer designed for the purpose that you intend to use it for. The right second step is to buy a boat whose PO has equipped and maintained it for the same purpose you plan to use it for.

The C&C 41 may be called a racer/cruiser but it was designed to race. so few of its parameters support use as a cruising boat. No tankage, big jibs, hard to handle, little storage, etc. open cockpits with destroyer wheel. Simply a dead end as a cruising boat, akin to asking "I can get a used NASCAR vehicle cheap, can I use it as a daily driver?"..

You would be going in a completely different and correct direction if you were to consider the C&C Landfall series, where the designer built into the boat the characteristics to make a competent cruising boat.

May 20, 2019
Thank you! Nothing I found online in my research was clear enough. Lot's of people happy with their C&C 41's using as cruisers. None of them talked about handling or anything. (maybe they motor everywhere). My hopes of having found a cheap cruiser have been dashed! But that's a good thing! I didn't know anything about IOR until now.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
HI, looking for a C&C 41 that will take you around the world?? I'll tell you where you can find one. There is an older version for sale in Canada on Yachtworld. Here is a picture of that same boat sailing in conditions that you will hopefully never encounter! I have no connection to the boat - nothing in this for me. It has a new repower, and the price will save you a lot of $$$'s for the things you need to add.

Attachments

Jun 29, 2020
C & C 40 Tall Rig Mk II Clearwater, FL
Thank you! Nothing I found online in my research was clear enough. Lot's of people happy with their C&C 41's using as cruisers. None of them talked about handling or anything. (maybe they motor everywhere). My hopes of having found a cheap cruiser have been dashed! But that's a good thing! I didn't know anything about IOR until now.
Hi Preston This is Jim Maddrey. I just bought a C&C 40 in August in Ft. Lauderdale for much the same reasons that you stated. My wife is from Honduras, we have friends in Columbia, Costa Rica and Playa del Carmen. A faster boat is a safer boat for me for trying to beat a storm back to port and hopefully sailing a little faster. I used to sail a Cabo Rico 38 which is a wonderful boat, but you put the helm hard over, wait 10 minutes and she starts to respond. I got caught in a squall with only 2 of us on board leaving Marathon in the keys , got the genoa furled just before it hit, no time to reef, put on a jacket or get goggles. we got 40 -50 k winds that threatened to round us up but with quick action, thankfully we had the room to turn to port slightly and keep the winds astern. It took full concentration to stay in control of the Nantucket Sleigh Ride between 10 -13 k for about 30 minutes, but we came out of it fine although a little white-knuckled and soaking wet. We battled heavy winds and rough seas 6 - 8 feet all the way home but I felt very safe and secure with the boat.

pete c

Mar 13, 2021
oday 20 Ellington, Ct
Kind of an old thread, but I'll put my two cents in.

The OP sounds like me. He wants a nice boat, but he doesn't want to spend every last cent on it.

Someone mentioned an Island Packet. I assume they missed the tight budget part.

Those old C&Cs are fantastic boats, but they are race horses, which would explain why they can be had cheap. Hardcore racers with deep pockets will be looking at the newer stuff.

I think he should look at older Pearsons and Hunters. They can be cheap, especially the Hunters and they are great cruisers.

I looked at and damn near bought an '88 Hunter Legend 35. Looked to be in pretty good shape and I could have had it for 10 grand.

Is it as good a boat as that C&C 41?

No, but I would guess that it has way more room inside than the C&C, despite being 6 ft shorter. And with a little upgrading, I think it would be just fine wandering off shore if he wanted.