1983 hunter 34 stability index?

Sep 6, 2016
Hunter 34 City Island
What is the "stability index" of a 1983 Hunter 34? This is a value put out by USsailing.org for blue water races.
Zeek

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A stability index (STIX) will be generated for a boat (and her lucky sisterships) when a user has US Sailing or other national organization create a ORC rating for the boat. That takes time and money; and is a sign of dedicated racing. I doubt one exists for the H34 (I checked); you'd be the first one mostly likely.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
All you will find in the ORR (rules) is a formula based on actual measurements made of your boat. Limitations based on stability are imposed by the organizing committee. First consult with the organizing committee of the event you desire to enter as to what stability index they are requiring. Most events address this by boat size and the cutoff for offshore legs is usually at 30'. The Capsize Ratio of the h34 is 2.03 while a Cherubini h30 sports an impressive 1.89 but do not rely on ratios as size does matter and the h34 will handle offshore conditions better than an h30.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
All you will find in the ORR (rules) is a formula based on actual measurements made of your boat. Limitations based on stability are imposed by the organizing committee. First consult with the organizing committee of the event you desire to enter as to what stability index they are requiring. Most events address this by boat size and the cutoff for offshore legs is usually at 30'.
Yes of course. But like I said, the actual rated STIX VALUE will be on any boats actual (IOR, ORR or ORC) RATING CERTIFICATE. Like on BlueJs here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/955501/First260 ORC cert.pdf

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
The capsize ratio is pretty lame. A boat with a heavy keel and boat with a light keel but yet the same overall weight and width will have different physical stiffness and rightability but the same CR. Other characteristics like how deep the weight is, how tall the mast is also matter a lot. My H376 reaches 60' high and has a nice thick mast creating quit a bit of heel all by itself in heavy winds with my only 5,400 lb keel being 5 feet deep but it does have a CR of 2. The H34 I bet even though it has a higher rating is actually stiffer as your mast is shorter and keel deeper. That means I slow down a lot in heavier winds to keep the heeling down to 15 degrees where I like it. I don't ever plan on capsizing for the rightability to ever be a factor, but no boat will right itself...they all need help (the next wave) as when the keel is due north, it has no rightability. It will take a much smaller wave on just about any boat to right it as it took a wave to capsize it. With that said, it is not uncommon for a capsized monohull to stay upside down for about 30 seconds but all report that it feels like an hour. I think that is because that big wave sucked up all the energy from the waves behind it.

Nov 8, 2010
The capsize ratio is pretty lame. A boat with a heavy keel and boat with a light keel but yet the same overall weight and width will have different physical stiffness and rightability but the same CR. Other characteristics like how deep the weight is, how tall the mast is also matter a lot. My H376 reaches 60' high and has a nice thick mast creating quit a bit of heel all by itself in heavy winds with my only 5,400 lb keel being 5 feet deep but it does have a CR of 2. The H34 I bet even though it has a higher rating is actually stiffer as your mast is shorter and keel deeper. That means I slow down a lot in heavier winds to keep the heeling down to 15 degrees where I like it. I don't ever plan on capsizing for the rightability to ever be a factor, but no boat will right itself...they all need help (the next wave) as when the keel is due north, it has no rightability. It will take a much smaller wave on just about any boat to right it as it took a wave to capsize it. With that said, it is not uncommon for a capsized monohull to stay upside down for about 30 seconds but all report that it feels like an hour. I think that is because that big wave sucked up all the energy from the waves behind it.
Capsize Ratio has NOTHING to do with this.