1983 H34 Main AC Circuit Breaker Replacement

Jan 13, 2015
Hunter 34 Deep Bay, BC
I want to replace the main AC circuit breaker in my early vintage ('83) Hunter 34. The existing one occasionally breaks the circuit (Note: it doesn't trip, it simply stops transmitting power). I can usually toggle it back and forth a couple of times and it will come back. Once I had to unplug shore power and plug it back in to get it to come back. It is clear to me it's failing and needs to be replaced.

The problem is that it is a double pole breaker with 30A on each side, but there is only a single toggle. All the ones I can find either in local chandleries or online have a double toggle, but there is no hole in my panel for a second one, and I'm more than a little reluctant to have to drill one, as I'd have to basically remove all the breakers to do it.

The first photo attached shows the front of the panel, with the culprit at the top right. The second shows the double breaker behind that. The neutral incoming wire is in front (white) with the hot behind (black). I have no idea what caused the arc marks on the neutral line going to the neutral bus, but there is nothing there now to cause it. I'll replace that bit of wire when I replace the breaker.

Anybody know where you can buy such a thing?
20190611_164243sm.jpg
20190611_165027sm.jpg

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
I recently had to replace ours on our 420. Yours may not be the same but the original we had was an airpax UPG666-27824-1, 3 pole 30 amp with reverse polarity circuit with white middle switch.
Get a hold of Custom Marine Services, cmsquick.com. Give them the part# of yours and they should be able to fix you up. They deal in all types of breakers.

Jan 13, 2015
Hunter 34 Deep Bay, BC
Thanks, guys. The original panel was made by Bass Products out of Marblehead, MA. The model number on it was 96-H34/36/37.
Surprisingly, they're still in business and while they no longer carry the original Airpax one (I found the exact model number - IPA-66-1-30.0-01; very similar to what Kloudie found, but with a round opening for the toggle instead of rectangular), they have one by Carling that costs 1/3 of what the Airpax one does. The only downside is that the toggle is white instead of black. Having the main breaker stand out doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me, however. Now to see if a wider search of Carling breakers turns up the same thing but with a black toggle.