1982 sabre 30 air conditioning

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
hi all , took a look at a nice 82 sabre 30 today and put in an offer. however , a priority is air conditioning for the sake of the family alongside the dock. i measured all the possible locations for install and it seems the only size i can accommodate is a 6000 btu unit. it would be one big vent in the salon and a smaller in the forward cabin. next choice up was a marineaire 9k , but the dimensions are slightly too big for any of the compartments. question is can we be comfortable enough with a 6k unit in this boat?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
6K is pretty small for that boat. It would be sufficient to cool the boat after sunset and make sleeping aboard pleasant. It would not be able to make the boat comfortable from about 10 am until sunset on the hottest summer days. It would dehumidify enough during those hottest days to make the cabin barely tolerable during the day but not what I would call comfortable. You might want to look at a split unit which separates the compressor/condenser from the air handler. they are a little more expensive, but they give you a lot more freedom as to where you install the components..
I don't have experience with these guys but something like this:
CTM CX-10 10,000 BTU Condenser - Marine Split A/C Unit - 115V (citimarinestore.com)

Jan 12, 2024
thanks , thats what i thought unfortunately. the split definitely looks like an option but i see the price they give looks like just the compressor... ouch. ill have to investigate further

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Sabre 30 is a nice sailing boat. I used to own #52. Sabres tend to have less volume than other boats in the same size range. If you calculate the volume of the living space, the amount of cooling you'll need can be determined. Forget about the quarter berth, it will tough to bet any air to circulate there.

One easy way to reduce cooling costs is to shade the boat with a boom tent and an awning over the fore deck. Shade makes a huge difference in the boat's temperature and subsequently how large the AC needs to be. This article from Practical-Sailor may be helpful.

If you haven't found the Sabre Group yet, be sure to sign up. It is very active and has an unmatched depth of knowledge about all things Sabre. There is also an active Sabre Facebook group.

Jan 12, 2024
thanks will check on that stuff. and yes i was looking for a sabre forum... thanks for the link

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Installing a 6000btu system on a 30 foot boat would not accomplish much. Probably better to install a portable unit in forward hatch for use while you are aboard. Personally, if I was incurring the expense of a built in system I would install a 12,000BTU self contained reverse cycle AC/heater. I have no idea of the layout of your boat; however, you may consider developing a layout & forwarding to Flagship marine air-conditioning systems in Florida. Flagship builds custom systems to fit your dimensions/requirements. @kloudie1's suggestion for a split series system is a good one. The PO of my boat installed a cruisair-dometic emerald series 16000btu split system. Don't know how much it cost, but probably $$$. Very effective in cooling the boat during our brutal summers. Hate to think about future costs if the two air handlers (evaporators) become a problem because the entire system will have to be evacuated, component replaced, re-evacuated, & recharged. If possible, I would much rather a self contained unit; initial cost is less, simpler design with less components, less susceptible to leaks, & less expensive to repair/replace in future. Good luck!

Jan 12, 2024
yes the more i research , the more your right about the 6k units. i used one of those hatch systems on a bareboat charter once and woudlnt do it again. unfortunately the settee stowage on the sabre is a bit shallow and you have to deal with the turn of the bilge. but i think i have a decent option in the forward locker. may take some slight modification , but could probably work. will be researching some split system prices as well. that would surely be less "modification".

Jan 11, 2014
yes the more i research , the more your right about the 6k units. i used one of those hatch systems on a bareboat charter once and woudlnt do it again. unfortunately the settee stowage on the sabre is a bit shallow and you have to deal with the turn of the bilge. but i think i have a decent option in the forward locker. may take some slight modification , but could probably work. will be researching some split system prices as well. that would surely be less "modification".
There is a fair amount of room in the locker across from the head. Remember the AC will need a through hull intake. Crossing over from the starboard side to the port side and connection to an existing through hull will be a challenge. Beneath the shelf in the forward locker is the foot well for the starboard settee/bunk. If you plan to use that bunk, be mindful of how the hose will run to the through hull. There is some space between the aft end of the V-berth and the holding tank, the hose would still have to go through the foot well.

Planning a major system install before having access to the boat is challenging. On a boat the size of the S30, it is especially so. Speaking from the experience of owning one for 14 years, I'd hold off on the AC for a season. Add a couple of fans, a foredeck awning and a boom tent to increase shade and spend a summer with the boat. At the end of the summer, you'll have an idea if you really need AC, where it can be reasonably installed, and what other items will be competing for funding.

Jan 12, 2024
good advice. when i went to inspect her , i really investigated and measured all the nooks and runs etc. so i have a good general idea of what and where. worst case i would mount the pump / strainer forward end of the stbd settee , and possibly just install another dedicated thru hull to service it. as well , yes the obvious location would be in that footwell / locker. but as to your suggestion , if it doesnt happen this season, ill keep planning. im looking to install a stack pack which may be more of a priority at this point.

Jan 12, 2024
one question.. i see the chainplates anchored on some of the locker / bulkhead structure. will modifying that area compromise the forces involved?

Jan 11, 2014
one question.. i see the chainplates anchored on some of the locker / bulkhead structure. will modifying that area compromise the forces involved?
Absolutely. A Sabre is stick built, there are no fiberglass pans in the boat. In fact the only tool needed to disassemble the interior is a flat head screw driver. All the full and partial bulkheads are an essential part of the structure along with the front of the settees and the shelf rails. Drilling a small hole for a wire or small hose isn't a problem, but major changes for ducting can weaken the structure.

High on the new to me boat maintenance list is removing and rebedding the chain plates. While the chain plates are out check the holes in the deck to make certain the wood core is sealed.

Jan 12, 2024
so looking at these split systems, what are the lines made out of that connect , and how long of a run is usually acceptable?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Connecting lines are copper.. usually 12-15 feet is OK..It is preferable that the lines and system be pre charged,

Jan 12, 2024
i think this is my only option is with the 12k btu split system. compressor stbd under the cockpit and evap in the footwell locker . also looks like for the salon vent there will need to be one hole put into the bulkhead stbd side to accommodate the salon supply grille even though that may not be optimal. the supply grille for the fwd cabin can be on a modified locker cover so to speak

Jan 11, 2014
i think this is my only option is with the 12k btu split system. compressor stbd under the cockpit
This is a very poor location as it will obstruct the already difficult access to the stuffing box, fuel tank, and water pump.

The only viable location is in the hanging locker across from the head.

Jan 12, 2024
this is what im working with here. was thinking about tucking it next to the water heater (building out the platform). the dims are 8.7w x 13.5h x13.5w. also i thing the galley locker maty be a possibility with only 8.7" w , that may work. i can build a "floor" and mount it. that also may let me install a smalll shower sump below it for the condensate. plus , short run to the fwd locker. hey thanks for your time BTW working this out with me.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
this is what im working with here. was thinking about tucking it next to the water heater (building out the platform). the dims are 8.7w x 13.5h x13.5w. also i thing the galley locker maty be a possibility with only 8.7" w , that may work. i can build a "floor" and mount it. that also may let me install a smalll shower sump below it for the condensate. plus , short run to the fwd locker. hey thanks for your time BTW working this out with me.
There is a panel just in front of the water heater. In order to access the stuffing box and the fuel tank and probably other things, you have to remove that panel. If the AC is in front of that panel, it will be difficult if not impossible to access the stuffing box.

There are knowledgeable folks here on SBO, however the people really know Sabre boats are on the Sabre list. Ask the question there.

Jan 12, 2024
dave, yes i saw that... however with the relatively small size of the compressor unit , i may be able to either build the platform outboard of the CBG tank , or right next to the water heater... i can still pull that hatch and sit my butt down there...

Jan 11, 2014
dave, yes i saw that... however with the relatively small size of the compressor unit , i may be able to either build the platform outboard of the CBG tank , or right next to the water heater... i can still pull that hatch and sit my butt down there...
I have spent a lot of "quality" time down there. Good luck!