1980 Hunter 33 Shaft Bearing Dimensions?

Apr 3, 2023
Hunter 33 Brick
Hello mates. I am in the process of removing my propeller. I also want to replace my Shaft Bearing (Cutlass Bearing). Does anyone have dimensions of the bearing. (1980 Hunter 33) Also has anyone removed the shaft's strut before?
If so my next question is, is it difficult getting the shaft aligned after re-installing the strut?
Thanks for any help with this.
-Matt

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Yes, and it is extremely difficult the get proper alignment after removing the strut. You will find that during the original boat assembly the strut was shimmed to achieve proper alignment with some sort of fiberglass mash and sealant. It can be done again but it is best to leave well enough alone. The cutlass has a couple of set screws that you need to find probably under about twenty coats of bottom paint. Puller tools are available.

Apr 3, 2023
Hunter 33 Brick
Yes, and it is extremely difficult the get proper alignment after removing the strut. You will find that during the original boat assembly the strut was shimmed to achieve proper alignment with some sort of fiberglass mash and sealant. It can be done again but it is best to leave well enough alone. The cutlass has a couple of set screws that you need to find probably under about twenty coats of bottom paint. Puller tools are available.
Thank You, any tips on getting the cutless out? What tool would you suggest?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
There are Youtube videos out there of cruisers making or borrowing a home made tool that does the job.
I don't remember which of the thousands of videos I've watched had it. Maybe some one here will know.
Basically it's 2 round collars, thicker than flat washers, one which fits the exact dimensions of the cutlass bearing, one slightly bigger that the strut opening. One forward of the strut, one aft. They are connected with 2 threaded rods with nuts, mounted through holes in the collars. Tighten the nuts on the aft one, the forward one comes out with the bearing.
I am no engineer, and I don't remember how it braces the the aft collar. Hence the video search.

BTW, the prop shaft is 1 inch. The strut opening is 1-1/4 inch.
Good luck

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I got the one on my ski boat out (same set up) by cutting the inside of the bearing until I was just about through the sleeve then used a punch to curl/rolling it up. Once you get the whole edge (that you made by cutting) up it releases the tension and comes out fairly easy. I don't know if that is the right way but it worked for me. I pressed mine in after freezing it for a couple days in dry ice.