1979 hunter 30 mast support and hot water heater

Oct 12, 2020
Hunter Chiribini 30 Florida
Hello I am very close to buying a 30' that seems to be a great deal. I wonder if anyone has any advice on things to look out for what to pay etc. ? Also I did see the boat recently and the metal support piece towards the bow of the boat in the bilge area was rusted out. So that will surely need replaced and I would hope to get it done without removing the mast. I am pretty handy with fiberglass. Could anyone recommend tips on replacing or a price range of what is will cost me? Also I would like to remove the old hot water heater, they are rather large and I would imagine some people here have advice on the best way to remove them?

Thanks for the info and I look forward to being a part or this group. I will be attaching pictures of the support piece in question.

Thanks, Sam

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I own a sister ship and the rusted mast step in the bilge is a problem for these boats.
Rather than try to recap all the various fixes that have been reported, I will send you here:

After you review the many threads on the subject, please post any other questions below.

As to your general question; I can't suggest a price without a survey or seeing the boat in person. Also, I had to cut the original water heater out to remove it in pieces. Remember, Hunter put all the 'stuff' inside the boat first, then attached the deck and liner.
Looking forward to your response.
G.
SV Intuition

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I replaced mine last winter without removing the mast. It is a significant job considering you do not have it at your shop. I wouldn’t do someone else’s for less than a couple grand. I would remove more than that from the price value to buy the problem.

Search my threads, I did a summary of the project along with fixing the leaking wire loom going into the cabin from the mast. I added an additional compression post in front of the existing (wasn't original) for further support.

I would recommend prior to purchasing removing the valance to the sliding door that covers the area where the last step foot bolts through the cabin to see if the cabin has been pushed down due to the failing metal support in the bilge. You will be able to see if the ceiling liner is being pushed down around the compression post (look at my pics on my thread). My support was not as bad as yours but the design of the compression post not being centered on the mast or I beam caused ll of it to tilt and allowing the ceiling to depress. This causes, in some cases, water intrusion and rotting of the whole area. If yours is, there is a possibility that the whole area is rotten out that would require removing the mast anyways. I did no actual fiberglass work to replace the support in mine. I did a ton of thickened epoxy work and grinding of fiberglass though.

Tap along under the portals on the flat gunnel areas from the inside to check on rot. Deck rot is the highest threat to these boats in my opinion. Any signs of caulking around deck components means it was leaking. The owner will respond with "it doesn't leak" Your response in your head should be, "yea because you finely gooped it all up with silicone that I now have to scrape to fix the actual problem" and "How long did it leak into the core before you finely did something about it".

There are not a lot of these boats on the market to compare to. When researching my purchase 4 years ago there were about 4 on the market. The east and south coast boats seemed lower priced than any on the west but seemed to be in poorer (looking) shape without as much added "stuff". Do not discount the service life of the current sails and the costs to replace them. Do not underestimate the monthly cost of a slip (if this is your first slipped boat). Be critical of battery /power systems and the costs to replace end of life components or the need to upgrade them for current world electronics and power needs.

Last edited: