1978 H30C Port Light Replacement

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have a fairly dangerous issue with one of my starboard port lights. We apparently had some unwelcomed visitors on our boat while it's on the hard this winter. Just a week or so ago I found this damage to the cowling on the most forward port light, which appears that someone had actually stepped on the cowling and fractured it in its brittle frozenness. Now it's a razor sharp shin serrator. Since discovering this, I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing all four of the port lights with more flush mounted ports, and getting rid of the cowlings altogether.

I've seen several posts from gifted others replacing their ports and was wondering if I could get some recommendations, i.e. Lewmar vs Bomar, correct replacement part numbers or model number, and anything specific for the 1978 30C. There doesn't appear, or at least I can't find, a specific replacement for this vintage boat on The SBO shopping site, earlier than 1980's.

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance...Wayner the Complainer!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I bought a complete set of the Grey industries (direct replacement) portlights right here. I didn't want to mess with modifying my openings so I just put in the same ones. The first ones lasted 35 years so I really had no desire to put in more expensive portlights. You will find that buying the whole port light assembly is far cheaper than buying in pieces. http://shop.sailboatowners.com/gray.php

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can cut the "cowl" off flush or almost flush with the trim ring to get rid of that protrusion.. Use a "multitool" very carefully and then sand the protrusion with a block sander or a palm sander and you'll be surprised at how fine the result is. Put a thin line of tape (1/4"" maybe) around with one side flush to the trim ring then use the outside edge as a guide for the multitool vibrating saw blade.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I replaced all of mine with 8 Gray Enterprises port lites and 1 Beckson -- both available on this site. Overall, I am very pleased with them and have posted about the project several times, which you may have already seen.

I used the Beckson for the quarter berth port lite in the cockpit because I realized the cabin wall was thinner there and the Beckson would be perfectly flush. That was the location where the old Gray lites had taken the worst beating. I didn't think it would be deep enough for my cabintop walls and they were not available in the larger sizes to match Gray anyway.

Hunter changed things from year to year, so I don't really know what sizes you have or how thick your cabintop might be. It may be worthwhile to check your actual cabintop thickness to see if Beckson will work for you.

BTW, the SBO site for Gray has instructions on how to measure the port lite sizes.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My 1983 H31 has the same ports. Mine were leaking.
2015-01-02 21.32.12.jpg

I decided to replace with the same Gray 512s My son Helped clean the old openings
2016-03-12 14.19.12.jpg

I had to hog out a lot of Soggy core directly around the openings.
2015-01-02 22.01.55.jpg

I then refilled the clean gaps
2015-01-03 12.06.03.jpg

With BondoGlass covered with epoxy
2015-01-03 15.47.37.jpg

Reinstalled the New Ports

2015-01-03 17.33.59.jpg

2014-12-23 21.01.17.jpg

2015-01-03 17.35.05.jpg

They turned out great. Good Luck

Nov 30, 2015
Suhhhhwweeeeet! Thanks for the input fellas. Looks like I'm going with Gray ports. Do you guys that have the replacement Grays all have that cowling or extension on the outside of the port lights...and if you do, do you find them to be convenient for some purpose, or inconvenient when moving to the bow and back?

Oct 6, 2007
I have not found them to be a problem moving along the side decks, but I did get my genoa sheet snagged on the forward portlites a few times last summer. Have not decided yet if I need to modify the port lites or my tacking procedure.

P.S. I've ordered new sails this year and the genoa tack and clew will be higher for visibility, which might also make a difference. I don't know. We'll see.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2011
Hunter 33C Chesapeake
I think the spigot is designed to be trimmed to size.

I am in the process of refurbishing my 30+ year old ports on my Hunter 33c, I removed, cleaned and painted them with several coats of topside polyurethane, they are still quite brittle but look a lot better. We will see how they hold up.

Nov 30, 2015
I think the spigot is designed to be trimmed to size.

I am in the process of refurbishing my 30+ year old ports on my Hunter 33c, I removed, cleaned and painted them with several coats of topside polyurethane, they are still quite brittle but look a lot better. We will see how they hold up.
Thanks Twistedline, so they are called spigots (rather than cowlings)? Are yours cut back flush to the external port light trim ring?

Dec 24, 2011
Hunter 33C Chesapeake
They are just what the factory did, not quite flush. However on my last boat H25.5 I did replace one port and was annoyed the spigot was sticking out so much. I did some research and people were talking about how the correct installation was to trim the spigot. Still just internet people, didn't find anything official.

Some talk about it here (Ron's post)
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/i-hate-my-ports.33917/

kito

Sep 13, 2012
The extended spigots where only on my small ports light (512?) I just left them long and haven'y had any issues

Nov 30, 2015
G'dafternoon folks, my port lights arrived a week or so ago and I'm thrilled with how they look. I do have one question regarding the external frame mounting. What adhesive have you applied to anchor and seal that frame. My old/original port lights had screws (which in retrospect I hate).

image.jpeg

Pateco's installation looks like this (lovin' it):

image.jpeg

My new ports are gonna look like this, grateful for no counter sunk screw holes. I want the nice clean look too.

image.jpeg

Yes, we're doing black, in my mind the contrast will be awesome and match up with the Jacobean stain on the deck teak, black mainsail cover, jib bag, and lines.

Just need your input on a good adhesive/sealant for these frames.

Thanks...Wayner

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I do have one question regarding the external frame mounting. What adhesive have you applied to anchor and seal that frame. My old/original port lights had screws (which in retrospect I hate).
The frame is actually held in with screws from the inside.
2016-03-13 19.53.49.jpg

For sealing the ports, and adhering the outside trim rings (they have no structural purpose, they just neaten up the install so you don't see all of the sealant around the port). I used DOW 795 on most of them, and then 3M 4000 on the last 2 when I ran out of 795 on a Sunday, and couldn't get it locally.

PS: the old ports are available in the classified portion of this site for anyone who needs spare parts or replacements . FOR SALE: Used Gray Enterprise 512 and 414 Ports
2016-04-16 17.30.59.jpg

Last edited:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I actually drilled and c'sunk my trim ring pieces to match the original....but I liked the look. I also ran a small bead of 795 between the trim ring and the spigot. Not necessary but will keep any driving rain out or water getting behind the trim and freezing.

Oct 6, 2007
I used Dow 795 for the entire installation per the Mfr's recommendation. Between spigot and cabin top, trim ring to cabintop and between spigot and trim ring. Before installing the new units I sealed all of the exposed wood core at the opening cut outs with epoxy.