1977 Cat 27 deck/hull joint

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
Hi all-

I have a very small leak (right about midships if that matters) that looks to be coming through above the hull/deck joint. I suspect that the rail for the genoa cars needs to be re-bedded. The question is whether or not there is any plywood coring in this area or is it all glass? I'd like to wait for better weather/longer days to rebed this but if there's plywood in the area I'd prefer to do it right away.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Absent a reply from a C27 skipper, yes, the decks on Catalinas are the exterior bi
fiberglass, wood, then the inner lining.

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
Stu- thanks for your response. There is certainly plywood coring in most of the deck, however, from the pictures on the Catalina site it appears that the part of the deck right at the edge (where the genoa track is located) is solid glass. Just trying to confirm whether this reflects reality.

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
Id do the bubble check we did and it was was water creeping in on the top of the window not the track! seal her up and blow air in and hit it with soap ! it was not the newly rebedded windows it was the seal on the glass to aluminum caulk,

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
Thanks for the suggestion. I had not considered the ugly possibility of the windows leaking.

Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. I had not considered the ugly possibility of the windows leaking.
to rebed the windows is easy, just wish I would of pulled all the glass out before we reset them, or it can be a hassle if a PO used caulk a no-no on a fibre glass to metal compatibility issue
good butyl tape is the only thing to rebed the window frames to the boat,
good luck

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
to rebed the windows is easy, just wish I would of pulled all the glass out before we reset them, or it can be a hassle if a PO used caulk a no-no on a fibre glass to metal compatibility issue
good butyl tape is the only thing to rebed the window frames to the boat,
good luck
How can you rebed the windows without pulling the glass? Seems like it would be very hard to get a seal. I agree on the butyl tape. I'm becoming a big fan of it for caulking in general.

Jan 12, 2013
sorry late reply but the glass is set with a caulk seal (outside frame) the window frame is aluminum and needs to be bedded in Butyl