1974 Catalina 22 topside paint

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
I just bought my first sailboat, 1974 Catalina 22. The boat is in awesome shape. In the spring I have intentions of painting the top side. The paint does not look bad from a distance but when you get close you can tell that some of it is chipping away. I plan on painting of the same color. The prior owner said that I need to do is get rid of the flakes and then paint over it with a marine white color. I was wondering if any of you more experienced sailboat owners could give me some advice.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
scrape off the chipping parts and then sand them fair before painting.
thanks! IS this something that needs to have all the hardware removed? I plan on removing the wood trim pieces to get them re-varnished. Would I need to remove all the shroud anchors, etc? Also, do I use non-skid paint around the whole topside since one can walk around the top of the boat?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Normally non skid is used only where you walk. For example, the sides where the portlights (windows) are would NOT have non skid. From factory the Catalina 22 has non skid texture molded into the fiberglass deck itself. Of course you can do whatever you want.

To do a good job you should remove hardware. For reference..Compare quality paint jobs on automobiles where parts were removed and cheap jobs where they masked around the parts.

Btw "shroud anchors" are called "chainplates"

Welcome to the insanity of owning a boat !

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
I did this to my 84’ Cat 22’. Remove all hardware.. replace, reseat.. there is a lot of direction on the steps from suppliers .. use 2 part epoxies.. several coats of primer. Good quality 2 part top coat. Awgrip, topside.. used 3 coats.. after all the prep and repairs I used a sprayer(thin coats)
And ‘tipped’ the paint .. follow directions to the letter, be patient... I did not use an aggregate on the deck anti skid.. the dimpling was thin but thought it was sufficient .. one other piece of advice is to use a color that won’t get hot in the sun.. it was the traditional blue... but that got really hot in the sun so I used an off white.. almost tan .. does not get hot to touch in the summer sun.. turned out great.. I Have some pictures at each step of the process of the process.. take you time taping off along the anti skid surface a poor job will give away the quality of your job...my wife did it .. came out looking professional.. no one could tell it was even done ..looked very natural. I’ll Locate the pictures and post them.. it took about 3 months for me.. I also had issues with my swing keel I had to re-do..sandblasted, welded, fared..epoxied..another story for Later..but here is the quick pic.. says it all.. if you have a swing keel.. don't over look this.

I see you don't have a pop-up dog house.. but I read somewhere that if you put a strip of cork ( I used 1/8" rubberized cork) under the slide runners the lid will run smoothly and not run against the top scratching your nice new paint job. Worked really well.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
Normally non skid is used only where you walk. For example, the sides where the portlights (windows) are would NOT have non skid. From factory the Catalina 22 has non skid texture molded into the fiberglass deck itself. Of course you can do whatever you want.

To do a good job you should remove hardware. For reference..Compare quality paint jobs on automobiles where parts were removed and cheap jobs where they masked around the parts.

Btw "shroud anchors" are called "chainplates"

Welcome to the insanity of owning a boat !
Thanks. I appreciate your responses. One more question to be sure I understand. Below is a picture of the boat. If you zoom in on the picture you can see the small chipping away of the topside paint I mentioned. the resolution of the picture should be big enough to see it. I will look more into this of course. But, according to your experienced opinion, do you think I can just paint over the current coat after a light sanding to get the chipping paint off? After removing all the hardware of course.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @Erbardy .
Congratulations on finding your boat. She looks cared for and can bring you may fun experiences.

Taking everything off the deck will give you the best opportunity for the paint job results. This will also take a lot of time - commitment. I am guessing it will happen over winter, and you have an enclosed heated space to do the work.

We all have been in your shoes, some with more patience than others. My advice is to try not to let the projects creep into bigger projects. You want to be ready come spring to take this new to you boat out on the water.

You will need to start the chip removal to see why the coating is chipping. Often it is a missed preparation step that stops the adherence of the paint. From the picture it looks pretty good except for the bow area. Could the owner have found time slipping away, wanting to “go sailing/sell the boat” and hurried up the process. It looked good enough? I’ll fix it later. And later never came? Who knows. You may discover, maybe not.

Start your scrape and sand. Stop when you you find a smooth solid surface. No need to go to raw fiberglass. Prep the surface according to paint instructions and paint.

Read MaineSail’s site about bedding your hardware with Butyl tape. Marine How To - DIY for Boaters

And keep us informed about your progress.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome to C22 mania! All good advice above...looks like a well cared for boat with some nice additions (furler, solar vent, etc)...get over on the C22 specific forum, you'll find plenty more advice over there including painting by others. Any issues that come up will be resolved by the folks there. (Btw, topsides = the sides of the boat above the waterline to the deck. The top of the boat you mention painting is simply the deck, as least as I learned as a newbie.)

Best advice (which I regrettably did not follow), deal with only the basics now relative to safety (keel cable & attachments, etc) and get out on the water and enjoy it while you have good weather. The cosmetic stuff is for the off season and can wait! Post more pics during your journeys....we like pics! Cheers!

Sep 22, 2019
Welcome to the forum @Erbardy .
Congratulations on finding your boat. She looks cared for and can bring you may fun experiences.

Taking everything off the deck will give you the best opportunity for the paint job results. This will also take a lot of time - commitment. I am guessing it will happen over winter, and you have an enclosed heated space to do the work.

We all have been in your shoes, some with more patience than others. My advice is to try not to let the projects creep into bigger projects. You want to be ready come spring to take this new to you boat out on the water.

You will need to start the chip removal to see why the coating is chipping. Often it is a missed preparation step that stops the adherence of the paint. From the picture it looks pretty good except for the bow area. Could the owner have found time slipping away, wanting to “go sailing/sell the boat” and hurried up the process. It looked good enough? I’ll fix it later. And later never came? Who knows. You may discover, maybe not.

Start your scrape and sand. Stop when you you find a smooth solid surface. No need to go to raw fiberglass. Prep the surface according to paint instructions and paint.

Read MaineSail’s site about bedding your hardware with Butyl tape. Marine How To - DIY for Boaters

And keep us informed about your progress.
Hi,
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I do not have a heated space. It will be in barn storage until the spring. I was thinking of taking the boat out of storage in early april (weather permitting) to get started on the painting project.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Dipasqup, I am thinking of doing my 27. Non skid is still good from Catalina. What paint did you use over the nonskid?

Sep 22, 2019
Welcome to C22 mania! All good advice above...looks like a well cared for boat with some nice additions (furler, solar vent, etc)...get over on the C22 specific forum, you'll find plenty more advice over there including painting by others. Any issues that come up will be resolved by the folks there. (Btw, topsides = the sides of the boat above the waterline to the deck. The top of the boat you mention painting is simply the deck, as least as I learned as a newbie.)

Best advice (which I regrettably did not follow), deal with only the basics now relative to safety (keel cable & attachments, etc) and get out on the water and enjoy it while you have good weather. The cosmetic stuff is for the off season and can wait! Post more pics during your journeys....we like pics! Cheers!
The great thing is that the boat is already in the water. We took the dock for the rest of the year and just spent a day cleaning the cabin and the bilge. WE spent saturday doing that and all day Sunday sailing!

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
Dipasqup, I am thinking of doing my 27. Non skid is still good from Catalina. What paint did you use over the nonskid?
Hi.. didn't think I could find it... but here they are. Interlux products: Perfection Two-part Polyurethane Topside paint (Snow white) and Perfection Two-Part Polyurethane Topside Paint, Oyster White, Quart.. 2316N Interthane thinner Reducing Solvent, 2333N Reducing solvent for Brushing, 202 Fiberglass Solvent Wash ( gallon ) you'll need this after sanding between each coat of primer and top coat. Ohh and INTERLUX 404/414 Epoxy Primekote .

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
Hi.. didn't think I could find it... but here they are . Perfection Two-part Polyurethane Topside paint (Snow white) and Perfection Two-Part Polyurethane Topside Paint, Oyster White, Quart
do you have a link?

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
do you have a link?
I got them from West Marine: I forgot to add: INTERLUX 404/414 Epoxy Primekote

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
Before you paint, you will have to determine if what is already on the boat is a one part or two part paint. It is my understanding that you can apply a one part over a two part, but not Vic-versa or the solvent in the two part will dissolve the existing paint before it dries causing bubbles and other adhesion problems.

There are tests you can perform using various solvents to determine what you have.

Is the deck where it is pealing a textured surface? If so, painting over an old textured surface is risky because you will not be able to really clean it and definitely won't be able to sand it. That is likely what is causing the existing peeling.

Since the deck is already peeling, your best bet would be to sand off the old paint and texture and start fresh.

I'm in the process of refinishing my decks too. When I started, I originally was planning on using a one part paint and painting over the existing texture. I found Andy at Boatworks Today and he set me straight. He has a Patrion and YouTube channel you should follow. You will learn everything you need to know about fixing fiberglass and painting your boat.

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
Before you paint, you will have to determine if what is already on the boat is a one part or two part paint. It is my understanding that you can apply a one part over a two part, but not Vic-versa or the solvent in the two part will dissolve the existing paint before it dries causing bubbles and other adhesion problems.

There are tests you can perform using various solvents to determine what you have.

Is the deck where it is pealing a textured surface? If so, painting over an old textured surface is risky because you will not be able to really clean it and definitely won't be able to sand it. That is likely what is causing the existing peeling.

Since the deck is already peeling, your best bet would be to sand off the old paint and texture and start fresh.

I'm in the process of refinishing my decks too. When I started, I originally was planning on using a one part paint and painting over the existing texture. I found Andy at Boatworks Today and he set me straight. He has a Patrion and YouTube channel you should follow. You will learn everything you need to know about fixing fiberglass and painting your boat.
good question....where exactly is the peeling? I assumed on the bottom (another issue. to check ..fix that and apply barrier coat)... did he already paint it once??

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
I would like to add another thing to check not mentioned here yet.. check for soft spots or spongy areas on the deck.... use the back of a screw driver and tap the deck in all areas.. if it's a solid sound like wood..its okay..if it's muffled/deadened sound you have bad wood under the gel coat and you'll need to proceed accordingly based on how bad it is. You should do that to the bottom of the boat also.

Sep 22, 2019
here are some more pics posted of the boat deck. I need to get back to the boat to get more close-ups. The previous owner just said to sand it a little to get the flakes off and it should be fine with a coat over it. Based on your advice from above I am starting to think it needs a more thorough job....

Attachments