1974 cal 2 27 all paperwork. Owners manuals, engine manuals

Feb 2, 2015
Cal 2 27 Dayton tn
I just purchased a 1974 Cal 2 27. I am gutting the interior and refitting the boat. It seems the only thing that is undamaged inside was the original paperwork. I have all paperwork if anyone needs a copy. Anything from original owners manual, sales brochure to rigging spec sheets, volvo penta 2 cal gas manual. Transmission breakdown. Too much to list. Will make a digital scan on request.

Sep 7, 2015
Cal 2-27 Chesapeake Bay
Buying a 76 Cal 2-27. Has A4 but maybe most would be the same. Please send me a copy.

Sep 14, 2015
Cal 2-27 Lake Conroe
Re: 1974 cal 2 27 all paperwork. Owners manuals, engine manu

I, too, just purchased a Cal 2-27, and I'd love to have a full copy of everything you have... as my rigging is a mess! Thanks, Tom

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Re: 1974 cal 2 27 all paperwork. Owners manuals, engine manu

Love my '76 Cal 2-27. I've had her in the water for almost a year and half now and have sorted out most of the gremlins :). I'm no expert but if I can answer a question based on my limited experience with this boat I'd be happy to.

Sep 7, 2015
Cal 2-27 Chesapeake Bay
I just got my information that the PO had and includes owners manual. Nothing to detailed but does have rigging info. I will scan it this weekend.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
for cal specific information, see this link...

it is ONLY Cal, and has more information collected about Cal boats than any other site anywhere, but is still greatly lacking in some areas.
it is NOT a chat room or forum, but just a collection of manuals and information that have been uploaded for use by anyone who has the need or desire.

if what you have is not available on that site, the guy that maintains it will be glad to help you upload it so it is available for all Cal enthusiasts..

Sep 14, 2015
Cal 2-27 Lake Conroe
Thanks for mentioning that; unfortunately, the only Cal 27 shown is the MkIII, not the 2-27. It was one of the first sites I came across, but the two boats are very different, and now that I've been helped by a rigger, I'm glad I didn't attempt to use the MkIII info, as it is also completely different.

Aug 27, 2019
Cal 2-27 Anchored and Loving it
Hello! Would you mind sending me a copy of your paper work? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello @NarniaSails . You are asking a question of a message 4 years ago. Welcome to the forum. It may or may not happen.

I have found a site that helps with CAL boat info.

Let me know about your boat.

Jul 9, 2022
Cal Cal 2-27 Bowleys Marina
I realize this thread is several years old but if anyone has a copy of a Cal 2-27 manual or any other paperwork I would be interested. I can't seem to find on online anywhere. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
Welcome to the SBO Forum. Congrats on your intelligent selection of a Cal Boat.

Try here Cal Sailboats
Best site I know to give you historical info about a Cal boat.

Share your questions here on SBO. We will share our experiences. Post your questions in "Ask All Sailors" You are more likely to get a reply. There are not a lot of Cal Owners on this specific forum.

Your info says "New".
Does this mean it is your first sail boat?

One thing to understand about boats they are all built out of a series of parts most of which come from a series of different parts supply manufacturers. It is not like a Ford or Chevy with "OEM" specific parts. Some parts you may seek are no longer made as the Part supply manufacturer has long gone and closed. We are faced (with a classic boat) having to be creative and choose new ideas to solve the problems as they present themselves.

Enjoy your Cal.
SV Hadley is a CAL 35 Crusier. 21 of 120 built in 1973-74.
D2F569FE-4311-4ED0-AC2A-33535C48801A_1_105_c.jpeg

Jul 9, 2022
Thanks for getting back to me John and recommending the site, there does seem to be a lot of great info there. And yes this is my first sailboat, she needs a bit of work but has great bones and came with her own slip. Felt foolish to pass that up. Thanks for all the tips and for welcoming me aboard.

Nik

Oct 22, 2014
Nice. I was out near your marina first part of May. Friend has a boat at Old Bay Marina, near Edgemere. Spent 10 days which included a sail to Annapolis. Great fun.

Pictures of your boat are a great way to share with your fellow sailors.

Jul 9, 2022
Your right, I ned to add some pics. I didn't take many when I bought her because I was doing a lot of talking and kind of forgot, but I have pics from both her previous owners. She was called "Wilomy" when the previous owner bought her, he renamed her "Cat's Meow" after his daughter Catherine. I haven't seyyled on a name yet but it's not staying Cat's Meow, lol.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
She looks clean. We have the same transom design. A classic used from the Cal40 which put Cal on the map.

Where do you plan to sail her?

Jul 9, 2022
I've got a lot of learning to do so I'll stay close to the marina for a good while. After I'm a little more comfortable I'll stay mostly in the Chesapeake & Delaware Bay's, maybe explore the deeper rivers a bit.

Oct 22, 2014
While the images you provided show the boat up for selling, did you have the boat surveyed?

Do you know the age of the standing rigging? ( the wires that hold the mast up?)

If this was my “new to me” boat, this winter I would haul the boat out and take the mast down to be serviced. I would remove check and/or replace all the mast hardware, wires and the chain plates in the deck.

The builders put adequate (on the low size) shrouds and rigging on our boats. They were not ment for long passages at sea. They also used spruce wood for spreaders. It was fine when new and regularly maintained. Some owners failed on this last. And the spreaders can rot from constant exposure over what 30 years. They need inspection and paint to keep the solid and doing ther job. You may want to befriend a rigger who can inspect and provide guidance.

This is one of the little things no one learns about when finding that boat of your dreams.

Jul 9, 2022
She's out of the water now and will stay that way for a while. I have to repair the causeway wall where the owner before this one drilled too large a hole for a compass and caused a nasty leak. As for the rigging, I'm not sure it's age and will need to ask more questions of the previous owner about all that. He probably even said it but I was too busy falling in love to pay attention properly. He's seems pretty honest so I'm sure I can get a fairly straight answer to all those questions. I don't think it has the spruce spreaders anymore, I certainly don't recall seeing wood up there. I'll definitely be going over all the hardware with a pro before she gets back in the water. I'll ask around for a local rigger with a good rep in the area to help me out. Thanks for pointing all that out too, I'm seriously green and can use all the help I can get.

Oct 22, 2014
I have to repair the causeway wall
Nik... I think you mean the "Companion Way" "bulkhead"... All these terms to learn.
Did you ever see the movie "Captain Ron". Teaching the family the boat terms... It is so when the winds blow strong you can use a specific term and all who hear know the meaning and can take the proper action to save the ship.

As in "DROP THE ANCHOR" instead of "Drop that metal hunky thing on the front part of the boat".

It is a process. I am still learning. So much that now I am starting to forget... :biggrin: I like to call it spill over, as in there is so much there that new stuff dumps a little of the old stuff. I just hope it is not important old stuff. Oh well. That is just how it is.