1973 Catalina 22 restoration winter project

jroddy

Mar 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Austin
Really nice job!! Enjoying watching the rebuild.
Any advice in keel winch replacement? I thought I saw them at catalina direct for more than I thought they would be. Guess that's dumb thought eh? After all it is a boat..at any rate, guess something must be different about the winch. Suggestions?

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
Very nice work. I am just beginning keel removal on my 1977. Your work is inspiring me. Please keep up the posts!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Any advice in keel winch replacement? I thought I saw them at catalina direct for more than I thought they would be. Guess that's dumb thought eh? After all it is a boat..at any rate, guess something must be different about the winch. Suggestions?
Do a search for "brake winch". Lot's of them available.

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
Like Merlin said, you need a break winch and not a regular winch. If you accidentally let go of the handle on a regular winch the handle could spin and all of the cable could play out allowing the keel to go crashing down. A break winch won't turn in any direction unless you turn the handle. The CD ones are zinc plated so they will stand up to saltwater better than what I have. But as you noticed that brand name and plating comes with a relatively high price tag. If corrosion isn't a big concern of yours you should be able to find an alternative for less like I did.

jroddy

Mar 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Austin
Found northern tools has one for about half. Maybe I will look.
Thanks everyone!

Sep 29, 2012
It may not officially be winter anymore but the freak micro blizzard we got on Friday night still thinks that it is. So no motorcycle just yet... just sailboat. This weekend I rolled primer onto nearly everything but the hull, finished off the bottom paint and replaced the crumbling trailer chocks. I used Interlux Pre-Kote as I'l be using Brightside Off-White 4381 as the finish coat.

I've got some more exciting news to share as well. My fiancé and I will be purchasing our first home soon. We take possession of the new place in mid May. It will be a significant improvement in living quality over what we currently rent and best of all it has a 22'x32' shop!

EDIT: Ugg... photobucket changed its interface and now I'm having issues getting these pictures to show correctly.

Last edited:

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
Congrats on the house, and thanks for the pics. Any thoughts or advice on the "spacers/shims" added to your keel?

Keep the pics coming please!

Sep 29, 2012
The shim/spacer kit is from Catalina Direct. They're pretty easy to apply and come with everything you need including instructions. CD is somewhat notorious for not including instructions with many of their products so this was a pleasant surprise. I haven't had an opportunity yet to let the keel go all the way down so I don't know how snug/loose they will actually be in the trunk.

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
I have a spacer kit coming as well. Tomorrow, weather permitting, bye bye rusty keel bolt. The saws all will be in the trunk ready to go, if needed.

Sep 29, 2012
She's painted! It took just shy of 4 quarts of Interlux Brightside 4381 to do two coats in the cabin, cockpit and some of the deck. I just used a foam roller and no brush for the whole thing. In the cool shop the paint settled relatively smooth on its own. As long as it holds up okay its good enough for me.

I also just received an order from CD with a bunch of new rigging and upgrades from the list that I posted earlier so I installed the new bow eye between coats. The next time I post pictures it should be of the boat at our new home where I'll begin reinstalling everything else.

ancbob

Jan 2, 2013
Catalina 22
Did you ever have success locating your winch? I can post a pic of the box that mine came in, if you're still looking.

Sep 29, 2012
What kind of paint and color. It's looks great.
The paint is Interlux Brightside 4381 Off White, it was a near perfect match to the old faded gel coat colour of my boat. Its a one part polyurethane so its easy to apply with a roller but not as durable or smooth as a two part sprayed.

Did you ever have success locating your winch? I can post a pic of the box that mine came in, if you're still looking.
You're talking to Kevinbilly I assume? I have a winch already.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Beautiful work!! Love the shop, can't think of a better place to spend your time when you can't sail. If ever move a refrigerator into mine, I don't think I'd have need of ever going back into the house....

Sep 29, 2012
How do you paint the hull around the trailer?
If you look back through my pictures you'll see that we pulled the trailer out from underneath in order to drop the keel. While the boat was up on supports I painted the middle of the hull and then when we returned the trailer I painted under the bow and stern.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
How do you paint the hull around the trailer?
Most people just jack up the boat using a floor jack or even the trailer jack in combination with a support under the transom. Lower the trailer jack all the way to lift the rear. place the support under the transom. Then, when you raise the trailer jack again, the back of the boat is lifted. There are many ways, but you only need to lift it 4 inches to get your roller between the bunks and the hull.

I used a shop crane with a sling under the boat to do my cleaning and painting.

Andrew

May 26, 2013
Catalina United States High Cliff State Park
What did do about the texture in the cockpit and on the combing and deck. Did you sand it all off and then paint. I am redoing my boat right now hull# 822. The gelcoat is pretty knackered, so there will be a lot of sanding but I am trying to find a way not to lose the original texture. That texture you put into paint just looks awful..I think anyway.

I don't think I am going to paint, I am going to do the work and re-gelcoat the boat. Then it will last another 40 years.

Thanks.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2012
What did do about the texture in the cockpit and on the combing and deck. Did you sand it all off and then paint. I am redoing my boat right now hull# 822. The gelcoat is pretty knackered, so there will be a lot of sanding but I am trying to find a way not to lose the original texture. That texture you put into paint just looks awful..I think anyway.

Thanks.
I didn't paint the textured traction areas of the deck, I taped around them and left them as they were. However I did cover up the original cockpit floor so I'll have to cut a rubber mat or something to fit it later. I also did paint over the cockpit seats but I tried not to apply the paint too thick so that the texture would still be there.