1972 Mariner Block System Behind Centerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
I am trying to piece together a mariner boom rig. Got the boat incomplete. The boat has a worn ratchet/dual pulley block at the foot of the centerboard for the boom. Not sure if this is a booom vang as I see boom vangs termed as diagonal block systems at the forward end of booms to masts. I need the system for pulling in the boom when tacking in beginner's terms. I went to Defender and it was busy, the counter guy ponted me to the direction of prepackaged boom vangs. I brought a Ronstan Boom Vang marked as $99.00. I got home to see I was charged $238.00, the package was misplaced on the shelf. Searching around, it looks like the price was correct for it but is this vang overkill? When expanded, it gives me a length of 90" eye to eye and has the line wedge at the lower block. Is this the right boom vang to use for my boat? I have aft traveler pulleys and a pulley at the end of the boom, do I need an aft traveler as well as system I brought? Also, for purpose of pulling down the boom at the mast, do I need the diagonal boom vang or can I just pull it down onto the cleat? I am not racing.
Thanks

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
Supercub,

I had a 1973' as of today. Check this page out, it gives some insight on the boom rigging. http://documents.clubexpress.com/do...kI5NPFXvqtrywefXKdwtBHwm+12wbhZImL2X7wC2uSFb5

However, my boat had a singe block at the base, and ran a single line to a block on mid boom, back to end of boom, down one side of transom, back up, over to other side block on transom, and then back up to the rear of the boom. There is a name for this rig. I think it's called the Crosby 3:1 rig. As it was discussed here. http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=28445

The boom vang does a different job. Hope this helps out.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here is the diagrams that I have in hte DS II manual that I created. Not exact, but close enough for the MARINER. Also, several pics of the original mainsheet on the 1972 (and older) Mariners. I have a good pic of a later Marienr mainsheet (1974-78) as well, they used a mid-boom mainsheet rig. Picture is, again, of a DS II, but rigging is basicallt the same for mainsheet.
Not sure how much help the Mariner pics are..... but I tried!

Attachments

May 14, 2012
Thanks! I have the jam cleat at the trunk with 2 pulleys. I just had to reposition the springs to the plate to make the cams work again. I have the pulley at the boom end and pulleys at the transom. I returned the boom vang and brought a pulley for the mid-boom. The boat was fitted with a forward boom vang but I think I will just haul the boom down at the mast and that will simplify things.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The boom-vang isn't really used to pull the boom down along the mast, it is to prevent it from pivoting up while sailing (especially helpfull running before the wind!) and to flatten the sail to de-power it while sailing in stronger winds. (see attached pic of my boom-vang, Mariner would probably use same setup)
The downhaul attached to the bottom of the gooseneck slider is used to pull the boom end at the mast down and tighten the luff (leading edge) of the sail ,again that will depower the sail by taking some of the bagginess out of it. Boats with a fixed-height gooseneck use a "Cunningham" line to tighten the luff, your sail may have a grommet above the tack corner for that, but the downhaul wil lwork fine. (Tack is the lower, forward corner of a sail).

Attachments

May 14, 2012
I just set up the rig today with the crosby 3:1 setup. The sails all fit up well considering they were used craigslist finds from different boats. I will see if I need the boom vang, trying to keep it simple. I set up a downhaul for the boom. I realize that I don't have a topping lift and I really need it for anchoring. I don't want a brace as there are too many things cluttering up the boat as it is. I will have to drop the mast to install a pulley on the mast for it. I have to remove the sails at the drydock that I have as it is a damp place and I have no sail cover at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.