1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
Oday 1971 23' Oday Pop Top Yet to be determined...
If you buy one of those mast track cleats Nate, make sure you get the right size that will fit into the mast track groove. Measure one of your sail slides so you can get a pretty good idea. Rudy probably has these mast track tack downhaul cleats in stock also.
http://www.drmarine.com/

Joe, looks like Rudy has some. I'll measure and get one from him.

Jan 27, 2010
Here's some pics of us rigging her up and getting familiar with what we have and what else we need...

Jan 27, 2010
Thank you! Do you mean had it in the water? Not yet, probably in the spring - I wish sooner..

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Wow! That's crazy, and a ton of work... I doubt my keel has ever been messed with. My keel bolts are right at the bottom of the sole. Were yours more recessed into the hull?
Yep, my bolts were recessed waaay down into the keel socket. Didn't make any sense to me. Sounds like yours are more like the way mine ended up. BTW, I meant to type in my original post that my boat was a 1971 O'Day 23, same as yours. Your boat is looking great, keep up the good work.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
What's that number on your sail?

Am I seeing this right? You don't have a sten rail either?

Jan 27, 2010
What's that number on your sail?

Am I seeing this right? You don't have a sten rail either?
Yep, no stern rail. Not sure I'd want one. Those sails are from a sister ship, what do sail numbers mean anyways?

May 10, 2011
Oday 23' mini cruiser (1974) Ocean Pines
Me too, old O'Day pop top to rehab.

I picked up, a steal, a 1974 23' "revenge" sight unseen. The centerboard needed and was repaired and the bottom cleaned and painted. Has been in water and sailing in shoal waters near Ocean City, MD without the centerboard down. As cold weather approaches, rehab to begin. I would like to continue a dialogue as we encounter challengers. First question, my owners manuel consists only of 3 pages from Suntangent, LLC in Cape Coral, FL. It instructs the use of wench to crank up pop top. I see you have done this but do not know where to start. Can you help.
Thanks,
John Clynick
571-212-1515
jcmaclynick@aol.com

Well it has finally begun! We bought her new years day and took ownership on April 10th. It truly was a long winter! We are very happy to have her!

This is my Don Casey boat, because it needs just about everything that is in his Books! :laugher It's part of the reason I bought it, I wanted to learn as much as I could - this boat won't disappoint. LOL

Here she is on her way home!

I started with taking the rub rail off to expose the chain plates. The pop top does function, yeah!

I cleaned just the corner to see how well that gunk will clean off. Doesn't look bad at all!

Pop Top all the way up! I'm 6'4" so i'll be a happy camper while aboard.

A little more to show you what i'm dealing with. Oh yah, by the way, the sole is rotted! That's gonna be a fun repair! Lesson number one - never buy a boat while it's frozen solid! LOL

Captain guarding the mast! :D

That's it for now, more reading and researching to be done.

Jan 27, 2010
I picked up, a steal, a 1974 23' "revenge" sight unseen. The centerboard needed and was repaired and the bottom cleaned and painted. Has been in water and sailing in shoal waters near Ocean City, MD without the centerboard down. As cold weather approaches, rehab to begin. I would like to continue a dialogue as we encounter challengers. First question, my owners manuel consists only of 3 pages from Suntangent, LLC in Cape Coral, FL. It instructs the use of wench to crank up pop top. I see you have done this but do not know where to start. Can you help.
Thanks,
John Clynick
571-212-1515
jcmaclynick@aol.com
The winch should be dead center right above your v-bith. You should see cables running to the bow then coming back to all four posts that raise the top. If this is not there then you'll have to build it from scratch. Perhaps it broke and a PO ripped it all out?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
nateman said:
Yep, no stern rail. Not sure I'd want one. Those sails are from a sister ship, what do sail numbers mean anyways?
Your hull number should be on your sail. I have 115. A PO had 106 (the NY registration number) on the set he had made. In serious racing circles, you can only use sails with your number on them.

I only want a stern rail because the outboard obscures my rear nav light.

Jan 27, 2010
Your hull number should be on your sail. I have 115. A PO had 106 (the NY registration number) on the set he had made. In serious racing circles, you can only use sails with your number on them.

I only want a stern rail because the outboard obscures my rear nav light.
Well, then those numbers are the sister ship. She has been sold again and i'm not sure if she fell to the saw? I still have no idea what my hull numbers mean? Do I have Hull # 133?

Mine are:

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Yes, you have class number 133 -- the 133rd O'Day 23 made. The next time you get a main made, have 133 put on.

It's just a unique identification.

Jan 27, 2010
I'll check my other main and see if it has numbers.

Jan 27, 2010
We had a tree cut down in the back yard so we asked if he would be interested in taking down the mast. He said that sounded interesting so we had at it. Man it was sooo much easier - LOL. Gotta love your local friendly tree guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.