192 centerboard pennant channel question

Aug 26, 2020
oday 192 Three Islands Mallets Bay
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice/help. I have a new to me Oday 192. I have noticed a small amount of water in the bilge when sailing and have tracked it down to the centerboard pennant channel. there is a horizontal tube in the bilge that is connected to a vertical tube to the cockpit by a flexible hose attached at the keel end with hose clamps. the end attached to the Vertical tube going to cockpit has no clamps and it appears to be seeping out of that connection when moving forward. I don't think there is quite enough hose on the vertical tube to attach a clamp. my question is can I remove this hose from the horizontal tube in the bilge to replace with a longer one while I am in the water or is this point below the water line and ill start to fill my boat if i do?

Aug 20, 2017
O'day 26 Gig Harbor, WA
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice/help. I have a new to me Oday 192. I have noticed a small amount of water in the bilge when sailing and have tracked it down to the centerboard pennant channel. there is a horizontal tube in the bilge that is connected to a vertical tube to the cockpit by a flexible hose attached at the keel end with hose clamps. the end attached to the Vertical tube going to cockpit has no clamps and it appears to be seeping out of that connection when moving forward. I don't think there is quite enough hose on the vertical tube to attach a clamp. my question is can I remove this hose from the horizontal tube in the bilge to replace with a longer one while I am in the water or is this point below the water line and ill start to fill my boat if i do?
You can't do that in the water. And don't forget that your pennant runs through the hose and will need to be threaded through the new hose.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I do not know if this is below the waterline or not, but I would guess that it is, or is very close. Given that it uses 2 hose clamps per side, I'd say it's below waterline. I replaced mine on the trailer last spring using some hose sourced from a local hydraulic store. Original was wire reinforced sanitation hose, same as the cockpit drain, and I had some on order but it hadn't arrived, so I went to the local hydraulic parts store. The guy there looked at what I had and brought me that hydraulic hose as a replacement, and I think it's fine, because it's a short, straight run. (On the cockpit drain, I think I'd rather use the wire reinforced sanitation hose, because it bends 90º, and the wire would prevent collapse at the bend, allowing faster draining. I have heeled far enough to ship water over the coaming, but not on the regular. Unlikely I'd get pooped, but still, having the fastest drain possible in the cockpit would be a Good Thing™) On my boat, the vertical tube just pushed up into the barb of the bridge deck fitting. Since I did mine on the trailer, it was pretty easy to run the centerboard line. The original was probably fine, but it was getting surface cracks in the rubber, and I didn't want to chance it, especially given my general low level of anxiety based on the whole pandemic thing, so I went and did the job. I pushed the hose farther on to the SS tube, then worked it back over the barb on the centerboard trunk, then refastened the hose clamps.

IMG_1625.jpeg
IMG_1620.jpeg
IMG_1622.jpeg
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg

Dec 4, 2020
O'day none GA

I have the same issue on an O26 - what size/ID tube was yours?

Aug 26, 2020
Thank you Brian for the detail! I’ll post a pic next time I get to the mooring but oddly my vertical stainless tube is strait (no bend at bottom) and stops above the bilge cover requiring a longer hose and the hose to bend 90 deg. I wonder if previous owner cut it for some reason?
For now I used some As Seen on TV flex tape to seal it which has worked however now I noticed when I am out in wind and bashing waves water is shooting right out the top of the pennant opening in the cockpit which must have a bad seal as I find some of that water running down the outside of the stainless tube in the cabin. Way less than was coming in the hose to stainless joint but def have some more work to do here….

Aug 26, 2020
Well I pulled out the plastic fitting in the cockpit the line goes through and used a liberal amount of boat life caulk. Now I can bash waves in 15-20 and my bilge is BONE DRY yay!!