11.0A windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Mark Maulden said:
Our windows are finally done. Weather has NOT been cooperating in the PNW lately. I think we had summer last weekend. The material used is bronze tinted 3/8 polycarb. They are bedded in Sika 295 UV polysulfate. So far, they've survived 35deg to 75 deg and one weekend of sailing. For me, I think it was a wise decision to have the yard do it as 1) it has a warrranty, 2) they had a way to apply compression, 3) a sure way that no air bubbles showed, and 4) I'd still be there with black stuff all over the place....
Could you give us a quick update on your satisfaction with the window job, I.e materials used? Now that the season is nearly over, would you change anything about materials used or installation advice?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We used the boat all summer and the windows are looking good and no issues. We get lots of compliments on how a 32 yr old boat looks. There are some really minor scratches from the Main hitting the cabin top and spilling over to the deck when lowered. A slow "lowering" and flaking would solve that, however, it's not always possible. I have no reason to say 20/20 is hindsight. The materials used are talked about above and, so far, I'd do it again. I think I'd still contract it out as me and the caulking process just don't mix. Caulking is like a virus. It'll get anywhere and everywhere (where it doesn't belong) with me. We're currently on the hard for about a week for bottom paint. I'll try and take some photos once we're floating again and before the next project. (engine rings/valves/etc)

Sep 6, 2011
Mark Maulden said:
We used the boat all summer and the windows are looking good and no issues. We get lots of compliments on how a 32 yr old boat looks. There are some really minor scratches from the Main hitting the cabin top and spilling over to the deck when lowered. A slow "lowering" and flaking would solve that, however, it's not always possible. I have no reason to say 20/20 is hindsight. The materials used are talked about above and, so far, I'd do it again. I think I'd still contract it out as me and the caulking process just don't mix. Caulking is like a virus. It'll get anywhere and everywhere (where it doesn't belong) with me. We're currently on the hard for about a week for bottom paint. I'll try and take some photos once we're floating again and before the next project. (engine rings/valves/etc)
Sounds like you need to whip together a lazy jack system. :)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ok.. Some have been asking for some pix of the new windows.... I finally took some. However, I don't know how to upload on this forum. Help???

Sep 6, 2011
Mark Maulden said:
Ok.. Some have been asking for some pix of the new windows.... I finally took some. However, I don't know how to upload on this forum. Help???
Are you using a computer or mobile device?

Sep 6, 2011
Ok for computer...

Sorry been busy winterizing. When you post a reply you should be looking at a box with emoticons on one side and buttons on top as I see it typing this. There is a camera on the top right hand end of the row. If you click that it will bring up a second window letting you browse to the files to upload.

Hope this helps!
SC

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I agree. They look great. I need to do mine, but the to do list is quite long!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The guy who did it is my slip neighbor and lives aboard. He has to look at it every day!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.