1 pound Propane bottles for Kenyon cook top

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
My "new to me" old Cal 27 has a Kenyon 219 - 2 burner propane cook top. The PO had a 20# tank connected to below the cockpit, which was just stupid. I have removed the hose, regulator, etc. and I have it in the shop for testing. Given the counter "cut-out" it would be nice to keep the Kenyon if possible.

There is a Magma bbq on the stern rail that works great using 1 pound propane bottles. This has me wondering if this type of bottle can provide the gas for the Kenyon 219.

I see adaptors that allow me to refill the 1 lb tanks from a 20# (exchange) tank for $10-$20.

Can these same adaptors be used to feed the input to the Kenyon? I can test this once I have the adaptor but was hoping someone smarter than me will share their knowledge.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are all kinds of adapters out there. Try a generic camping store or an RV store. Refilling 1# canisters is not generally a good idea as they are prone to rusting and leaking. You'd be surprised how long the canister will last. For the small cost, I'd just buy a couple of canisters a season.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The 1# bottles should work fine with the appropriate adaptor.

I use 5# tanks...but mine are stored properly in a drained locker and plumbed to my stove with a solenoid.

I don’t cook alot, but I have an oven and 2 burners that get used during our sailing season, and lately, I have been using a burner as a heater when at the boat working...the 5# tank has lasted over a year!

Greg

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I have been using a burner as a heater when at the boat working...the 5# tank has lasted over a year!
I am interested in how you do this and safely avoid killing yourself because I open the pop top and let all the heat out even when I make a pot of coffee or cook beans. I know that there are other threads on this site that have discussed this issue but each time I cook inside the boat I had that same guilty feeling I had when I got a flashlight under the covers so I could read after bedtime. Flower pot heater comes to mind but I know if that works and it's safe that one pound tank of propane would not be enough.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My "new to me" old Cal 27 has a Kenyon 219 - 2 burner propane cook top. The PO had a 20# tank connected to below the cockpit, which was just stupid. I have removed the hose, regulator, etc. and I have it in the shop for testing. Given the counter "cut-out" it would be nice to keep the Kenyon if possible.

There is a Magma bbq on the stern rail that works great using 1 pound propane bottles. This has me wondering if this type of bottle can provide the gas for the Kenyon 219.

I see adaptors that allow me to refill the 1 lb tanks from a 20# (exchange) tank for $10-$20.

Can these same adaptors be used to feed the input to the Kenyon? I can test this once I have the adaptor but was hoping someone smarter than me will share their knowledge.
This is a link to the stove manual that might be helpful. Lots of threads on how to handle propane on board but the basic premise is to ensure the propane doesn’t settle in the cabin and explode! The other risk of course is inadequate ventilation - CO2 buildup - not enough oxygen - death!

Please be careful - I’ve lost people that made a mistake and didn’t wake up.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
A lot depends on how much you use your boat. We have a 2 burner stove with oven and a magma BBQ and go through 2 20# tanks per year. We cruise four to five months each year. Proper storage and ventilation is a must.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
You'll need a low pressure regulator which reduces the gas pressure to 6 ounces (10.5 inches water column). The regulator must be located on or near the supply tank. It would also be advisable to have a shut off valve between the tank and the regulator. Those tanks are prone to leaking after they've been partially used, because the valves don't always reseal well when you remove the supply fitting. As noted above, venting overboard is critical to safety. Propane is heavier than air, and can concentrate in the bilge if special care isn't taken.

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks to all the posters. I am well aware of the risk of propane on boats. I was not aware that there’s a 5 pound size propane tank, which Could be a better solution than using the adapter upstream from the pressure regulator via a 1 pound type bottle.

Given my limited space for storage, if the bottle is shut tight and it’s stored in the cockpit area under the seats is that any worse or better than having a supply of the 1 pound bottles stored in that same area?

In use a 1 pound or 5 pound propane supply will be removed from that locker area connected to the hose and set where any propane could escape overboard when cooking was underway. Then after cooking the line would be disconnected from the tank and the tank resealed and placed back in the locker.

I have no plans of ever using propane as a heat source. I have a diesel forced air furnace which might get installed. It’s one of the cheapo Chinese versions, but I fired it up in my driveway and it seems to work just fine. Mostly I don’t want to sail when it’s that cold anyway

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am interested in how you do this and safely avoid killing yourself because I open the pop top and let all the heat out even when I make a pot of coffee or cook beans. I know that there are other threads on this site that have discussed this issue but each time I cook inside the boat I had that same guilty feeling I had when I got a flashlight under the covers so I could read after bedtime. Flower pot heater comes to mind but I know if that works and it's safe that one pound tank of propane would not be enough.
I cook all the time on my stove, without opening up the boat.

when I first added the flower pot (used), there was some smell...I opened the slider for a while to air things out.
but now, I don’t have any fumes or smell.

i did run out of propane today, and had to swap out a 5# tank. using the heater a bit more this year!

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There is enough propane in a 1lb cannister to make it just as stupid as using a 20 lb tank as a permanent installation. Having said that I for many years used a two burner marine stove with the 1 lb cannisters. I started by connecting a hose to the stove, double clamped, with a regulator and connector for a 20# tank . To that connector I added a pressure switch with a gauge to test for leaks and to that I added the adapter for the 1lb cannisters. The length of the hose was enough to set the tank at an arms length away from the burners. I believe I got the hose with regulator and the pressure switch at Walmart's grills section and the cannister adapter from Ace Hardware store. I connected the cannister before every use, tested for leaks and disconnected it after every use. Verified the valve to the cannister had closed before storing them. Refilling the cannisters is not very efficient, they have to go in the freezer for at least an hour so that the can accept the most LPG and even then you cannot fully fill them, resulting is a significant shorter use time. The valve also corrodes and you may not use them more that two other times.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020
Benny, thanks for your post.

This was what I was thinking of but without the pressure switch. The hose that connects connects to the bottom of the Kenyon is about 10 fee long and passes through a bulkhead on it's way toward the stern where it ends down in the cockpit lazarettes. My thought was to pull out the hose, attach the cannister and let it sit on the deck during use.

Found these PVC "holders" for storing a few cannisters:

Keeping propane and butane out of the boat is sounding like a wise idea. Using the PVC on the stern railing seems logical for a low-cost solution. Maybe the hose can connect to the PVC tank holder while the stove is in use and simply spin-it-off the fitting when done.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If your going to refill the 1lb’ers , use them immediately after filling to generate vapor space in them in the event they were overfilled/weighted wrong. An overfilled liquified gas cylinder does not has adequate space for the liquid to expand within the vessel when it warms up after filling causing the cylinder to fail or the prd to go off. Both of which are bad releasing liquid that then then expands 270:1 as gas