The hydraulics engineer took liberties in screwing all sorts of hardware and hose mounts to the inside of the hull, driving sheet-metal screws right through all the 'glass and into the fir planking; then the boat wasn't very weathertight in the cockpit and the bilge was constantly wet.  Therefore, the planking was wet.  Lee and I stripped all the 'glass off both sides of the keel and dried it out, then reapplied vinylester 'glass to it.

The hole that looks like a propeller-shaft outlet (the hydraulics engineer made sure he had a prop aperture hacked into the world's most beautiful hull form, like others have done since) was Lee's solution to adjusting the stuffing box, since the hydraulics engineer installed a large diesel tank directly above it, eliminating all access.  Lee's idea is to scrape out fairing compound and remove this patch, from time to time, to inspect and maintain the stuffing box.

(My idea was to relocate the diesel tank-- vetoed.)

Aug-Sep 2012
DianaOfBurlington

The hydraulics engineer took liberties in screwing all sorts of hardware and hose mounts to the inside of the hull, driving sheet-metal screws right through all the 'glass and into the fir planking; then the boat wasn't very weathertight in the cockpit and the bilge was constantly wet. Therefore, the planking was wet. Lee and I stripped all the 'glass off both sides of the keel and dried it out, then reapplied vinylester 'glass to it. The hole that looks like a propeller-shaft outlet (the hydraulics engineer made sure he had a prop aperture hacked into the world's most beautiful hull form, like others have done since) was Lee's solution to adjusting the stuffing box, since the hydraulics engineer installed a large diesel tank directly above it, eliminating all access. Lee's idea is to scrape out fairing compound and remove this patch, from time to time, to inspect and maintain the stuffing box. (My idea was to relocate the diesel tank-- vetoed.) Aug-Sep 2012

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
White Angel Yacht Specialties
Added by
DianaOfBurlington
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata