Here is a photo of Andy's Rhodes-designed Swiftsure 32 Sinter Klaas, moored at Watch Hill, which he proudly sent me to convey his joy at having his beloved boat back after we repaired/restored it.

This boat was built by DeVries-Lentsch in Holland in 1959.  As part of being repaired after Storm Sandy, it received new teak toerails, 34 ft long each with compound angles made by Steve and Ziggy cranking the blade tilt on the tablesaw while pushing/pulling the wood through it.  Jeremiah faired the hull and sprayed it in Awlgrip.  Lee and I reengineered the fuel tank, batteries, gas-bottle locker, air conditioner and plumbing to redistribute weight lower and farther forward.  We also replaced the original 1959 seacocks with new Marelon ones.  Ziggy made a new 'fridge lid as a chart table and made a new galley counter.  The whole deck was repainted and new bronze hardware installed, including a Dutch-made traveler.  Lee ordered a Selden rig (not my favorite as it's too fat for the boat).  Dave ordered him a new Lewmar winch for the spar but missed out on getting the last-available Lewmar 30 in bronze, which is what it should have had.  And we removed and replaced the Atomic Four engine, which Andy loves (with good reason; it's a lovely old-school motor).

I rebuilt the rudder with foam and massive amounts of 'glass, and then in the course of removing and replacing the engine I replumbed and repainted his heat exchanger, which Andy thought pretty cool.  I also designed and ordered a new bow pulpit and completely redesigned the stern end, doing away with the toerail there because, as I told Andy, that part of a boat is like the cute girl's bottom in a bikini-- everyone wants to see that part, stare at it, and become mesmerized by it.  This boat's backside is too pretty to cover over with a toerail. Andy agreed; and now you can see the lines of the boat much better all over.

Summer 2014

Here is a photo of Andy's Rhodes-designed Swiftsure 32 Sinter Klaas, moored at Watch Hill, which he proudly sent me to convey his joy at having his beloved boat back after we repaired/restored it. This boat was built by DeVries-Lentsch in Holland in 1959. As part of being repaired after Storm Sandy, it received new teak toerails, 34 ft long each with compound angles made by Steve and Ziggy cranking the blade tilt on the tablesaw while pushing/pulling the wood through it. Jeremiah faired the hull and sprayed it in Awlgrip. Lee and I reengineered the fuel tank, batteries, gas-bottle locker, air conditioner and plumbing to redistribute weight lower and farther forward. We also replaced the original 1959 seacocks with new Marelon ones. Ziggy made a new 'fridge lid as a chart table and made a new galley counter. The whole deck was repainted and new bronze hardware installed, including a Dutch-made traveler. Lee ordered a Selden rig (not my favorite as it's too fat for the boat). Dave ordered him a new Lewmar winch for the spar but missed out on getting the last-available Lewmar 30 in bronze, which is what it should have had. And we removed and replaced the Atomic Four engine, which Andy loves (with good reason; it's a lovely old-school motor). I rebuilt the rudder with foam and massive amounts of 'glass, and then in the course of removing and replacing the engine I replumbed and repainted his heat exchanger, which Andy thought pretty cool. I also designed and ordered a new bow pulpit and completely redesigned the stern end, doing away with the toerail there because, as I told Andy, that part of a boat is like the cute girl's bottom in a bikini-- everyone wants to see that part, stare at it, and become mesmerized by it. This boat's backside is too pretty to cover over with a toerail. Andy agreed; and now you can see the lines of the boat much better all over. Summer 2014

DianaOfBurlington

White Angel Yacht Specialties

J Cherubini II, restoration, repair, rerigging, reengineering of older production sailboats.
There are no comments to display.

Album information

Album owner
DianaOfBurlington
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

DianaOfBurlington