What's normal temperature what's not

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Not that my 2GM20F is overheating, just that it's 15years old with almost 2,300 running hours. I've never once cleaned the heat exchanger. So is wondering what temperature is normal on engine and where should it be measured. I have only a handheld temperature gun so I can point it anywhere.
Could someone in the know advise?
Thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The metal thermostat housing on top of the engine where the short hose connects to the heat-ex housing.. That temp should be same as the thermostat rating.. or close to it.. Using a temp gun, it will register 10 or so degrees F less than thermostat rating since it is measuring the housing paint temp.. Your thermostat is a "160 F" nominal.. It is fully open at 185 F..

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My prior boat had a 3gm30f that had a temp guage that would always run around 180-185 at cruise speed. Then it began to hit 190 and higher until I brought the rpms down. Clogging of the exhaust elbow was causing reduced raw water and exhaust flow. New elbow brought temp back to 180. My point to you is to look for a change in temp reading from your infrared gun. Kloundies suggestion to aim it at the thermostat housing is good,, just make sure you average the readings and aim at the same spot when taking future readings. You should also run your checks when at cruise speed because an elbow problem will not be apparent when there is low water and exhaust flow.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The tstat housing is the best place to measure the temp until it's the worst. Air can leave the housing dry which leaves it colder than normal. In addition to the Tstat housing choose a second or third place ( lower on the engine)and get a feel for how much hotter/colder it is compared to the main target. Then if you get an air pocket you'll know. If the IR has a laser pointer put a target dot where you take the reading. And always be a consistent distance from the target

Les

Oct 29, 2005
ok got it. Will measure the elbow, Tstat and somewhere lower of engine :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I use an IR thermostat. I have 6 places that I shoot the engine and exhaust. There is quite a variance from the heat exchanger to a spot by the injectors to the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifold. I record the results against the engine temp gauge. Since cleaning the coolant system and replacing the circulating pump There is less than 5 degrees change from observation to observation. This way I can isolate a problem should it start to occur such as the engine temp gauge show higher than normal. Which of the engine sights is higher then normal.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I added a temp sensor right before the thermostat on my 3YM and for the last few years the temp reading is at 180 and lately if I raise the rpm's to higher like 2800 it does go to 190 but most times I keep the rpm's at 2400 to 2600 depending on needed speed.
Also depends on water temp here in Fl. And when really cool 180 but when motoring in hot weather for long period and in hurry the temp hit's 190 but never higher.

Oct 29, 2005
I ran the engine at dock in gear for like 20-30 mins and measures the temperature at Tstat ~68degC, lower engine body ~65C, exhaust elbow ~60C. Temperature seems kind of low. I'll send pictures of measurements when I get to a proper computer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On my Perkins those would be normal temps. I usually shoot the Injector as well I get temps in the range of 80-86 C . Not all cylinders are the same temp.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ken, attached is the cooling water flow schematic for the GMF.. Your temperatures look OK; Note that the coolest water in the fresh circuit (from the heatex) goes through the FW pump then into the lower block. It goes up where it picks up heat and exits the cylinder head at its highest temperature. The thermostat controls that water temp by either recirculating some back through the pump/block or shunting it into the heatex. Your thermostat should start opening at 71C; that is the water temperature inside the housing, as it is leaving to go to the heatex.. I think you are measuring spots of lowest temp on the engine.. "engine body" is where the "cool" water from heatex enters block.. "pump" is cool water entering the pump from the heatex... Exhaust elbow is cooled by cold sea water exiting heatex and "cool" fresh water in heatex reservoir... "injector" is cooled by diesel and it is insulated from the cylinder head by an internal washer; it would never get to cylinder head temperature, which should be around 75C internally.. Couple that with the inaccuracy of the IR gun, and I think your temps are OK..

Attachments

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Just an FYI.... Suddenly after returning to the dock a couple of months ago and leaving the engine idle for about 10 minutes or so to let it cool down, the engine buzzer started blaring.... I check everything that I could think of.... finally in the middle of the night I dreamt about a loose Ferris wheel. The next morning, I tightened up the impeller belt and finally the engine ran cooler and has so far (knock on teak) has been running well since. So, if you can't figure out why the engine is running hot, check to see if the belt could be tightened. -Jon

Oct 29, 2005
Kloudie, thanks a mil. Of all places I've to choose the "cold spots"
Bummer. I'll retake photos so that I've a baseline to compare should there be overheating in future.
Thanks! :D

Oct 29, 2005
PG, thanks for info. I don't have overheat problem at the moment. Just doing some baseline checks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a 2GM20F and don't have any issues with her overheating, but today I ran her for several hours at around 2800 RPMs. Lake was flat and AP was engaged, so I stepped out on the swim platform where I can reach my exhaust outlet.

I felt the exhaust water (carefully at first thinking it would very hot). I was surprised that if felt almost the same temperature as the lake. Then I stuck a foot in the lake, and then immediately into the exhaust water...and it difinitely warmer, but I would say only 10 or 20 degrees or so.

I checked the engine real quick with an IR thermometer. Was also surprised that the mixing elbow was cool enough to touch, well under 100degrees F.

I just read that the best place to check (or not) is the T-stat housing. I did not check there unfortunately.

Does this sound right, or indicative of a problem? Maybe stuck closed thermostat?

I have plenty of water flowing out the exhaust.

Greg

On edit - if anything, I think my engine runs hot. On the O322, it is in a very tight small "box", and radiates heat for a long time after shutting down.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Side question: If your thermostat, impellor, and exhaust elbow are setting the engine temperature, why do people say you have to run at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle to get the engine to temperature?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
This sounds correct to me. The amount of water coming through the exhaust is more than enough to keep the elbow cool. I know my elbow does not get hot even after long periods of motoring. never actually tested the exhaust temp but if the elbow is cool then I'd suspect the water coming out would be also.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This sounds correct to me. The amount of water coming through the exhaust is more than enough to keep the elbow cool. I know my elbow does not get hot even after long periods of motoring. never actually tested the exhaust temp but if the elbow is cool then I'd suspect the water coming out would be also.
Thanks Bill.

I assume my HX is working, but wonder if the T-stat is working. If it doesn't open, I assume the engine will run hot. But my temp alarm doesn't go off (it has before I fixed an antifreeze leak, so I know it works - or has worked).

Greg

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I have a 2GM20F and don't have any issues with her overheating, but today I ran her for several hours at around 2800 RPMs.
On edit - if anything, I think my engine runs hot. On the O322, it is in a very tight small "box", and radiates heat for a long time after shutting down.
Greg,
A bit of background first. A gasoline engine runs a compression ratio of about 10:1 while a diesel engine runs about 18:1 to get the air hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel. To withstand this higher pressure and for durability, the diesel engine is much beefier metalwise. Once you get this mass hot, it does take a while to cool off. You can slightly speed up this process by idling the engine several minutes before shutting it down. But it still takes a while to cool it off. When we are cruising, we would run the engine blower for about 30 minutes after anchoring to help cool off the engine. And we would leave the aft cockpit hatch open for another hour or so to vent the heat.