Travel with Dinghy

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
When the dingy is in the sling, isn't there a large amount of windage, particularly if going to weather?
It sits lower than the dodger when powering directly into the wind, so not much there. When sailing to windward the heel generally blocks the dinghy from most of the wind. So far 25 kts has been the highest wind we have had the dinghy in the sling for and no problems.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Late Happy New Year fellow sailors. If any pictures of setup would be REALLY GREAT. I just bought a new HighField 9ft Rigged aluminum bottom Dinghy. I'm not very fond of a Davit and this SLING sounds just great. Any PICS would be nice to see.
Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

Sep 10, 2015
Catalina 28 MKII marco island
Bob (Cat 310 #1 in GA) - I have a 28 foot Catalina MKII. I just bot from West Marine a PRU-3 inflatable. It is 8 1/2 feet. Putting a 4 HP Merc 4 stroke on it. I think the sling system will work for me based on what I have read here. Not making any long passages - just starting out doing a little costal cruising around Marco Island FL. Planning a trip to the Keys and the Dry Tortugas. Do you agree?

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I know your boat model because I almost bought one. Very nice. The sling should work fine. You have a similar swim platform as the 310 and I carried a larger dinghy with the sling with no problems although I did just go down to a 7 ft dinghy to make things easier and lighter with less overhang. Of course you cannot keep the motor on the dinghy when in the sling.
bob

Sep 10, 2015
Thanks for the advice Bob. I will be mounting the Merc 4 HP on the stern rail. My order is in for the Dinghy sling. I really love my Cat 28. Very easy to sail and learn on for my first sailboat. My only complaint is she does not like light wind. Anything under 10 knots and she prefers the slip, but give me 10 plus and she loves to sail. See ya out there with fair winds and following seas.
Steve

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Steve
I thought that was an alligator, till I put on my reading glass's............

paulj
:hook2:

Sep 10, 2015
48 inch 2010.JPG
Hi paulj - funny - no, it's a 48" musky I caught on Stoney Bay, Lake of the Woods, Ontario using a black bucktail with a silver blade. It had teeth like carpet tacks. The fish was released to fight another day. I actually reside in Minnesota but I hope to retire in Marco Island in the near future (that's where my condo and boat is located). I haven't done any fishing in Florida but I would like to. When I see people catch fish in Florida I tell them if its not a crappie, walleye or northern, I don't have a clue!

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A dinghy on the bow adds windage and contributes to tacking at anchor. On the davits it adds windage aft and inhibits tacking. Sailing around at anchor is probably the leading cause of dragging... right after small anchors and bad sets. I wonder how strong the contribution is. I seem to notice that boats with dinghies up front sail around more, but I have not measured it.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Marathonguy,
Did you buy your boat in Punta Gorda, FL? If so, was it 3 or 4 years ago? Just wondering if it is the one I lost out on because some guy from Canada put money down sight unseen! Was that you possibly?
bob

Sep 10, 2015
Bob - I did but it in Punta Gorda but not sight unseen and it was last year from Pier One Yacht Sales. I do love the boat. I also like the 310's but I really like the 350's.
Steve

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Bob - I did but it in Punta Gorda but not sight unseen and it was last year from Pier One Yacht Sales. I do love the boat. I also like the 310's but I really like the 350's.
Steve
Take a good look at the 350 before you fall in love. It really is a much lighter displacement boat than the 310 or 28. Displacement to LWL 350-199; 310-243; 28-284
Displacement to SA 350-20.49; 310-16.56; 28-13.87

The 28 and the 310 are more in the cruiser range while the 350 is in the light cruiser/racer range. Hell a SA/disp of over 20 is in the sailing dingy area. Sure hull shape will mitigate some of that, but all three of these boats have similar hull shapes. For club racing or more performance sailing the 350 will do better. For extended coast cruising the 28 and 310 would be more comfortable at sea.

As far as light wind sailing, a lot of that depends on the wind direction. On the beam or aft of the beam 10 knots and under can be ok. Beating into under 10 knots, not too many boats will do that well.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Sep 10, 2015
Good info on the 350 Jesse. I will be sailing my 28 MKII for several years. It definitely has the feel of a much bigger boat. I can't wait to go out with my new dinghy and sling.