transmission information

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
I have an M25 diesel with I assume is a Hurth transmission. In all the boat literature from the PO nothing is regarding the transmission. I need to check or change the trans fluid but can't seem to find the check and fill location to do so. I am planning an 80 mile motor an this is a must do.
Thanks, Brad

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Brad. I use the fill tube (also known as the cap with the measuring stick) to access the fluid, check the level and color. To empty the fluid, get a tube to suck the old fluid out.
One option is an extractor pump here are some examples.
ACM_7009.jpg 24389nopkg.jpg 12519.jpg
There is one sold here on SBO https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?12519
But currently out of stock.

You stick the tube in and suck the Transmission fluid out. Then pour in new and your off to go. If the fluid in your transmission is clean and does not smell burnt (remove the dip stick and place a drop of the fluid on a clean white surface. If clean - no dark bits floating) your probably ok to go on your trip. Always good to get a known starting place with your boat maintenance.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
How do you know if your Hurth is full?
Remove the dipstick & wipe clean. Reinsert it but do not screw it in; then remove again to check the level.
AND...be careful not to drop the metal sealing washer! ( DON'T ASK!)
BTW.. there is a drain plug at the bottom but it's a PITA to get at. Vac pump is the best way and great for engine oil change too.

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
I thank all of you for the info. but what I need to know is where is the dipstick located on the trans. I cant seem to locate it or I don't know what I am seeing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Brad... How about a picture of your transmission. From where I am sitting, I can't identify it either.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I thank all of you for the info. but what I need to know is where is the dipstick located on the trans. I cant seem to locate it or I don't know what I am seeing.
It is an 11/16" nut on the top of the transmission, off to the port side of center. It may be hidden under the HX.

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
Thanks for the information I have seen that nut but wasn't sure of its use now I know ...again thanks...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
none of those links work
They do for me [I just tried them] and you don't have to be registered on the forum to read them. Sorry about that jvss.

Anyone else having problems? Please let me know. As many of you know, I post lots of links and rarely have any issues with them. Thanks.

Last edited:

ted W

Jul 24, 2017
capital yachts 33 newport titusville
I have a universal M25XP with a hurth HBW50. The transmission is slipping. Any advice?

Jun 19, 2004
Ted:
Simple answer...probably needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Make sure the shift lever is moving far enough for full engagement(check the manuals for details). Check the fluid: is it dark or have a burnt smell? Do you see metal particles on your clean rag? If so it's most likely done for. Hard to get parts or find a rebuilder for this old model so most go to replacement mode.
Check my posts for more info...

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ted, I have the same engine and transmission, and had the same slipping 2 seasons ago. I bought the clutch plate kit and the gasket kit from Basic Power Industries, about $320 US. I have a friend that is an auto mechanic, he rebuilt it and I have had no issues since. The clutch plates were very polished, after only 500 hours on the engine.
Part #s were
ALT316750 - Clutch plate kit for Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100
ALT316801B - Gasket set to Overhaul Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ted you may want to try changing the fluid first. Mine was occasionally slipping too last year. Pulled out old fluid which was very dark, put in new Dextron III and so far ok.
bty on my Hurth a 17 mm socket also works for the drain plug.
Dave, thanks for all the info, I am hoping that I never need it.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks to all. So, a 17mm wrench for the fill plug, same size for drain. I read it's 0.44 Qt. of fluid. Anyone know the right size sealing (crush) washer?

Jun 19, 2004
DaveJ, I'd love to know how you're making out with the Alta parts! How many hours do you have on it since the rebuild? Everything I'd heard about them was negative, so I ended up paying twice that amount for an original ZF rebuild kit from Federal Marine. 3 rebuilders I spoke to last year declined the job saying they couldn't get good results with the Alta product. Anyone else care to comment on their experience? I'm hoping I didn't waste extra boat bucks on this...