TP or not TP?

Ivan

May 17, 2004
Hunter 356 Solomons MD
Hopefully a last word:

The great discrepancy between the differing positions and practices of the posts can be accounted for in part by the fact that some have electric heads, which usually have a built-in macerator. That makes a huge difference in whether TP will clog a line or not because the particles are much smaller, more dispersed, and the electric head normally uses more water than a manual one (which does not matter if you have sea water flush but does fill up the holding tank quicker).

I have owned many boats over the past 60 years, and have never had a clog problem in my 356 with electric head since I bought her new in 2003. We use ALL the regular TP we wish. No buckets, no baskets, no limits, no expensive or special TP--just the same stuff we use at home. But I did have some clogging problems whenever I chartered or owned a boat with manual pump at the head. So my conclusion is that everybody is right in their posts. Just some have it much easier because they have an electric head with macerator.

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
My opinion is this.....the bad part of the whole thing is having toilet paper with poop on it in your hand! From your hand put it in the basket. Put an extra piece of TP over the dirty part. Then, there is no hassle monitoring the quantity of toilet paper used, or what type. It is what i presume most women do with tampons. Not much difference....bloody tampons wrapped in TP in the waste basket or poop stained TP with an extra wrap in the waste basket.

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 42 Passage Daytona Beach
My opinion is this.....the bad part of the whole thing is having toilet paper with poop on it in your hand! From your hand put it in the basket. Put an extra piece of TP over the dirty part. Then, there is no hassle monitoring the quantity of toilet paper used, or what type. It is what i presume most women do with tampons. Not much difference....bloody tampons wrapped in TP in the waste basket or poop stained TP with an extra wrap in the waste basket.
Hence, Install sprayers and the it becomes a drying operation as opposed to waste management operation. And yes, one of the previous replies is correct. If you have a macerating toilet, big difference. Hand pumps don't seem to like the TP, they are easily plugged, just sayin.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I wonder if there is some other factor, like lime-clogged piping.

Never had a plug, wouldn't know. I'm guessing if you've gotbplugging, there is something else going on. That seems to be what the evidence suggests.

Jan 12, 2012
None None Bellingham, WA

So, I'm sitting at work surfing the forum and I literally laughed out loud at the mental image of (my) Admiral trying to urinate in the sink while we're heeled over, say, 20 degrees. Ever funnier looking in 3-4' of chop.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

My co-workers just looked at me funny. I didn't try to explain.

Jul 31, 2009
None None None
I splurged on TP by buying from West Marine. Also, when I had novices on board, I would give a thorough briefing on head use and tape written instructions on head bulkheads. I always allowed TP to be flushed and never once had a clogged head.

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Jeez.... Just buy the cheapest one ply and tell guests 3 sheets at a time and make sure it melts before you flush and use the shower to add more water if needed.

Sep 23, 2009
westport custom Coal Harbour
Noflex Digestor

May I suggest that the best explanation of what Noflex Digestor is and how it works can be found on their website. I used to deal with their VP, Dave who was always helpful.
When I was working as a mariner (Chief Engineer) we used to open up our sewage media tank annually for a clean-out of the sludge build-up. It was a messy, dirty job. Turds & TP & lots of sludge. The tank had a 1,000 gal capacity.
After dosing the tank weekly with Noflex our sewage discharge met IMO regs and at the annual refit we would open up the tank to find it nice & clean. No turds, no sludge and no TP.
Hopefully Dave will get greater distribution of the Noflex in the near future so many more small boat owners can eliminate their sani system problems.
I'm still around and I found this old post
My distribution has gotten larger just on word of mouth
dealer map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1KuALBdPKo1RtfsehawTf2lu_rBc&ll=3.788941081115965%2C0&z=2

Here is a write up on toilet paper and Noflex
http://littlecunningplan.com/2016/10/lets-review-a-product-with-science/
Biggest problem with TP is when its the heavy duty stuff: they use to much or try to flush the TP when still dry in the bowl

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Dual electric Jabsco macerator heads here. Most always use household brand two ply with never a clogging problem. The system does dislike wet wipes/sanitary napkins. Hard to chew and swallow. The thought of placing toilet paper with number two on it is unpleasant, to say the least.

Dec 25, 2000
Interesting observation about the destructiveness of ammonia, uric acid and H2S. To prevent the destructive effects of urine on head hoses and tank, I have routinely peed into my head sink for the past 13 years, instead of the commode ( so does my athletic admiral :D) .
My two Brit cruising guys do this. Must be a Brit thing, because the one dumps and chucks, while the other insists on number two paper going into the waste basket. Never pee into the sink here (too unsanitary), but I do use a pee bottle at times (from my backpacking days), especially at night, to reduce flushing. Always flush it when near full.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When in Belize, that was the direction from the Charter folk. Bag it. There was a fairly stiff unclogging fee if you failed to follow their instructions. That may be a hold over from the British Honduras days of Colonial Ownership.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
New holding tank this year from Triple M Plastics and all new hoses. No TP in the head, use as much as you like but put it in the kitty litter locker next to the head. Pop the top, drop in the paper, pull the lever and it drops into the plastic bag below. Disposed of in the garbage when we go ashore. I've had too much experience in regard to plugs, clogs, etc. to not insist on NO TP IN THE HEAD!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Interesting observation about the destructiveness of ammonia, uric acid and H2S. To prevent the destructive effects of urine on head hoses and tank, I have routinely peed into my head sink for the past 13 years, instead of the commode ( so does my athletic admiral :D) .
Before anyone goes uhhhh, :doh: consider....
a boat sink is simply a funnel connected to a hose that goes directly overboard ...;)
peeing overboard is legal, although discharging a holding tank with urine in it is illegal...:confused:
urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI), so discharging urine into your sink is no more "unsanitary" than putting cleaners, sour milk, or any other liquid into it. :redface:
we rinse the sink with a cup (or so) of water, after use, just as you do when you put anything else down it, and have never had a hose odor problem ( from sink or head ). ... :)
And one last thing ... no one has ever fallen overboard as a result of peeing (overboard) into their sink; so, it's a safety thing, too... :dance:
Proud of you man.

Just did a check, the 3rd edition of How to take a crap in the woods has been out for a while. Bible 101 for beginners, I bought several for newly hired firefighters back in the day. Had an old captain who used toilets while we were fighting the fire in other parts of the house. Too much coffee or some digestive issues. Sorry for the anecdote.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
It used to be a hole in the head of the boat where one stuck their heinie out to evacuate their body fluids/solids. I suppose one could do the same and eliminate all the fuss over manual or electric heads, holding tanks, clogged vents and whether to use/not use TP.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe some of you guys should get one of the much bad-mouthed-Jabscos. In 13 years on my B323, I've never had a breakdown or clog. I tell crew, for "the first wipe", no more than 6 plies (3 layers) of 2-ply. Then, no more than 4 plies of the same 2-ply. If there is still dry paper in the bowl, wet it with water before flushing.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
:
Maybe some of you guys should get one of the much bad-mouthed-Jabscos. In 13 years on my B323, I've never had a breakdown or clog. I tell crew, for "the first wipe", no more than 6 plies (3 layers) of 2-ply. Then, no more than 4 plies of the same 2-ply. If there is still dry paper in the bowl, wet it with water before flushing.
You must have learned that on Capital Hill.