The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
My photo of modifications in the lazaret is hard to see what's been done, but here it is. You're looking down through the open hatch. Wires to outboard above, new PVC pipe band clamped to a stub of the original plastic hose, and bilge pump pipe below that. The bilge pump pipe loops high before exiting through the through-hull fitting. View attachment 137593
So where is your bilge pump located?

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
IMG_2500.JPG When I took that photo, the bilge pump was not yet installed. Now it is! 3/4" pex piping fits the pump and through-hull. Without the long setee benches that everyone else has, my choices of location are limited. There will be a cabinet on the port side just aft of the V berth, so the pump will be incorporated into the base.

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
View attachment 137707 When I took that photo, the bilge pump was not yet installed.
OK, I see what you did there. I'm still thinking the pump could be moved a bit further aft to the lowest point where water will collect.
The interior sure looks different without the settee bench.
What are you going to do with the rest of the space you opened up?

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
What are you going to do with the rest of the space you opened up?
Patience! We have plans for a new layout, but these things take time. Stay tuned here for updates. Does anybody else out there use Sketchup or other 3D drawing program? eclipse salon.jpg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Does anybody else out there use Sketchup or other 3D drawing program? ..
I use Sketchup and love it, but haven't used it in about a year so probably need to memorize a lot of the commands over :(...

I used it to design a trailer to carry the dirt bike on the tongue and the Polaris ATV behind a small camper section. Bought the steel, axle, tires and most everything to build it. Now just have to motivate myself :sosad:.

I agree about moving the bilge pump a little further aft if possible as that is where the water is going to collect on both sides. You putting one on the other side also? I only have the bilge pump for a "BIG" emergency and have another for the other side but sill need to install it. Nuisance water I take out with a sponge.

Keep the pictures coming as you work on the boat ;),

Sumner
======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 25, 2008
Macgregor 25 Cabrillo Marina (San Pedro)Ca
From a friend today:

Jeff
are you still in SP? heading down that way after the 4th of July, maybe we can meet up, I launch at Cabrillo love that video, looks like a cruiser 27 heading to 2 harbors..

Nov 30, 2015
Been working on this all winter/spring/summer.....The new prop guard is made of hand-laid fibreglass and poly resin, my first time trying to do something that extensive with the material . I'll test it out on Saturday, hopefully not to destruction, but if that is what happens it'll be a learning experience.

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
After twice badly nicking the rudder with the outboard prop, I've been seriously considering something like this. I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
After twice badly nicking the rudder with the outboard prop, I've been seriously considering something like this. I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-16.html

After a prop/rudder encounter I installed one. I make most things but it wasn't that expensive.

Only problem that it has ever created was once crossing Florida Bay from the Everglades to the Keys there was a lot of grass and it and the prop became clogged up a couple times,

Sumner
==================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 30, 2015
Only problem that it has ever created was once crossing Florida Bay from the Everglades to the Keys there was a lot of grass and it and the prop became clogged up a couple times,

Push comes to shove, I guess it could be used as a salad grater or a martini mixer ;)

I had the same issue with the prop/rudder contact last year.
My local lake has a very rocky lake bottom with big changes in depth in a short distance. You can have 5ft of depth, and suddenly you scrape across a boulder or underwater bluff when motoring. I'm hoping this will minimize damage in case of a strike there also.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
the guard is overall a good thing (also have a missing chunk out of my rudder from before guard). I bought a stainless steel guard and I cant be sure but think that I had accelerated zinc corrosion after adding the guard. Im assuming that all that exposed metal on the guard formed a nice galvanic circuit with the zinc on the bottom of the outboard. Not a big issue, I just try and keep the outboard raised out of the water when its not running, still have the same original zinc after seven years. The glass guard of course wouldnt have this additional but minor issue.

Nov 30, 2015
We put "Mistress" on Medina Lake yesterday, partly to stress test mods made over the fall/winter/spring and also as a long planned overnight on the lake after watch fireworks. Winds were gusting 11-15mph, and at the south end of the lake, there is a narrow choke point where it turns east/west from north/south, so we decided to motor instead of beat into the winds in a narrow body of water.
The motor performed well, confirming the new emergency shutoff and neutral safety switch installations. The electric pump on the gallery sink is great!
The porta-potty leaked. Luckily, it was just lake water...... Rudder uphaul and downhaul - check; new radio installation to include running new wire in the mast and relocating the S/S antenna - check.
Now...the prop guard.....the first thing I notice was a seeming lack of power in reverse with the guard in place. Even though performance in forward was good, it wasn't real good. The test lasted for a full 15 minutes. Then vibration set in. At first it was light vibration, then it got worse. I looked over the transom and saw a piece of the prop guard trailing behind. We shut down the motor and I went over the side to check it out. It had started delaminating from the inside, and the piece trailing behind was almost two full wraps of fibreglass cloth.
The fix was simple. I broke the rest off, and we went on our way. We anchored in 83ft of water, 30 ft from a rocky shoreline, and thought we were safe from stink-boaters. At dusk, everyone started arriving for the fireworks. A couple hundred boats. This is where the "back-up light" came in handy. It's and underwater light that I installed at the bottom of the swim ladder. Every time someone wanted to anchor a bit too close, I'd simply plug it in. It's annoyingly bright, and they would leave. Better that than fouling my anchor line. There is no way I'd try to dive 80+ feet to cut loose. It was also great for deterring Parks & Wildlife from observing with night vision devices.
I did have a couple boat approach in the early hours of the morning wondering what "Mistress" was. There aren't many sailboats on Medina Lake, and "Mistress" also seems to be one of the larger boats.

It was a nice fireworks show, and a real peaceful overnighter on the water. We sailed back to our mooring under jib alone. Mistress now sits on her mooring for about a week so I can do some much needed trailer maintenance.
Happy 4th of July.

- James

Nov 30, 2015
Forgot the requisite pictures!

Motoring into the wind. Not much room for tacking.

Leaving the anchorage at Waltons Island this AM.

Last night at anchor.

Medina Lake, Texas

- James

Jul 3, 2017
MacGregor 26D Wheatly ON Canada
Hi all,
I've enjoyed this forum for years but never really contributed. I'm laid up with a sore back and want to start to share a bit. The one mod I've made that seems to be unique is the addition of two shocks to the pop top. The advantage to me is the ability to sail with improved headroom, good forward visibility and being able to use the vang. I've a few pic's that hopefully show the arraignment and operation.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

Nov 30, 2015
Nice set up!
What length are the struts that you used?

Next question: What are the sunbrella rolls under the pop-top for, and what is the purpose of the PVC tube and sunbrella bag in the cockpit?

Inquiring minds are always searching for new idea's!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Over the 2+ years that we've been sailing the Mac 25 we've kind of developed our own way of doing things with it that works for us. some may say we're bass ackwards.... [shrug] but it works for us ;) . one of those things is when we get ready to overnight we like to drop anchor off the stern a couple hundred feet off shore and continue to pull, bow in, to a nice place to beach, tie up to a sturdy tree or stump etc, and then pull ourself back out with the anchor 50-75' off shore for the night. this way we can easily pull back to shore if we feel like stretching our legs etc. the catch to this is that a good anchor is needed at the stern, and just a rope at the bow. for two years I've had a d@^# plastic crate tied into the starboard rear corner of the cockpit bench to hold the 300' of anchor rope with anchor plopped on top of the pile. can you say PITA? it was always in the way and sometimes caught the tiller or tiller tamer rope, not to mention just taking up way too much real estate. SO....
my 3 day project was to fabricate a stern mounted anchor holder and rope locker. a couple photos are worth a thousand words:
P1050208 (1).jpg P1050216.jpg P1050214.jpg P1050212.jpg

The cleat is to tie off the anchor rope and the pin on the other side secures the anchor chain when the anchor is parked. I put a short "safety chain" on the rear of the anchor thinking I may want to trailer with it on there, but I still may not be able to not worry about putting it through someones windshield on the freeway, so I may not use that ;) . my dry land testing gave excellent results for launching and retrieving my custom "Russkna" anchor. the little kink in the nose even flips the anchor right-side up, as it comes over the roller, when retrieving. I couldn't be happier with it. :yeah:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017
MacGregor 26D Wheatly ON Canada
Hi My Mistress ( hope my wife reads this in context)
The sunbrella is a removable, self storing popup over. I'll post a few pics.

The PVC on the stays is just an inexpensive way to hold the calibers in place when trailering and I like how it looks when standing.

The bags are for storing lines, sail ties, winch covers and the like. Also used to tame the sheets when underway. They are held in place by turn buttons on the bulkhead so are easily removable.

IMG_0152.JPG
Here is the popup cover with the full screen enclosure

IMG_0137.JPG

Looking at the starboard side fully deployed

IMG_0186.JPG

As it is being unrolled. Rolled up it is stored completely under the top. I've more pics if needed.

For specs on the gas struts, perhaps you can get info from a zoom in on the picture. Otherwise it might be a while till I'm back at the boat.

Fair Winds