Recently purchased a 1978 Catalina 27

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 Dana Point
I have recently purchased a 1978 Catalina 27. The boat is in decent condition, but could use some minor TLC. The to-do list grows by the day.
The first on the list is getting the dinghy out of the water on a Davit system on the stern, rigging to the stern with lines, or lifting it and securing it on the bow.
Does anyone have advice or recommend something for the dinghy? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I wonder what are the other items are on that growing list when Davits seem to be the #1 priority. First of all what is the size and type of the dinghy in question. There is a big difference between rigids and inflatables. A 27' boat,by its size, is limited on the kind of Davits it could accommodate and the size of deck space available to carry on top. It will all depend on how do you store and intend to use the boat. For trips you could tow the dinghy and for day sails you could leave it behind. It is easy to store a partially inflated dinghy compressed into a limited fore deck space. I gather a rigid would be the wrong dinghy to use for a 27' boat unless it is used to get to and from a mooring on a frequent basis. Are you trying to protect it from the elements or from perhaps getting stolen? Is it also that you want to take it along when sailing but do not want the added drag when towing? Had an h27 years ago and carried an inflatable 8' dinghy when on trips. I would usually pump it up on deck when arriving at destination and lower it with use of a halyard (76 lbs.) . The boat would stay inflated and in the water until after the return when it would be hauled out and deflated. If we were moving the boat for any considerable distance then we would haul aboard and partially deflate it. Considered davits but quickly came to the realization they would not work well as the transom was narrow and rather low to the water.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I don't think you could put davits on a C-27 and have it work and not look silly.

What I do (and have seen many folks with smaller boats do) is use a halyard.

If the motor is on the dink, I remove that of course. Then I hook my spin halyard up to the front of the dink and lift it up. Works fine even if the dink is behind the boat in the slip. Lift it over the lifelines and set it on the foredeck. Then I leave it there or deflate it. When I inflate it, I reverse the process: put it on the foredeck, inflate, pop it off the boat with the spin halyard. Easier in open water but it works in the slip too. It's a one-person job since I've got my halyards at the mast.

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 Dana Point
The reason why this is #1 priority is that the marina's policy only allows 3' behind the boat and it is beyond the 3'. Plus it would allow me access to clean the bottom without taking a swim. Yes, I will be towing the inflatable 8' dinghy during day sails. Being narrow as you mentioned is my concern as well.
The other items are (1) the companionway teak doors. They need to be refinished. (2) The depth locator needs to be mounted in the hull. (3) head/toilet needs to be plumbed. (4) Fresh water tank needs to be installed and plumbed. (5) other deck teak should be refinished as well.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Between Memorial day and Labor day you can have your dink floating behind your boat. The 3' rule isn't really enforced for that. (Just look right now, you'll see what I mean). For cleaning a halyard is easy - pull it up, clean it off, pop it back in. In the winter you do need a different solution for storage - I just keep mine deflated most of the time.

Ok, to be perfectly clear, I'm talking about the east marina. Dunno for sure about the west but I think it's the same. Where are you?

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 Dana Point
I don't think you could put davits on a C-27 and have it work and not look silly.

What I do (and have seen many folks with smaller boats do) is use a halyard.

If the motor is on the dink, I remove that of course. Then I hook my spin halyard up to the front of the dink and lift it up. Works fine even if the dink is behind the boat in the slip. Lift it over the lifelines and set it on the foredeck. Then I leave it there or deflate it. When I inflate it, I reverse the process: put it on the foredeck, inflate, pop it off the boat with the spin halyard. Easier in open water but it works in the slip too. It's a one-person job since I've got my halyards at the mast.
Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Lol, your todo list is almost like mine. It's time for the teak and the dang macerator pump is clogged.

And to give evidence to my last post. My neighbor has a 32' powerboat. We're in 30' slips. He leaves his dink in the water all summer long. No problem. In fact, he didn't have a problem until about last December when they finally told him to pull it out. I don't usually leave mine in 'cause I don't like to clean it. But even then It'll be tied behind my boat for a few weeks, particularly the 4th. (30' in a 30' slip - definitely over 3' past)

You will get hassled for hanging the bow over the front of the slip too far.

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 Dana Point
So I managed to hoist the dinghy out of the water (single hand) and secure it to the stern railing. Not as hard as I thought.
Next is cleaning the bottom.
Dinghy on stern.jpg

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
If you really want a davit, you can look on the Garhauer web site.