Pros N Cons Cat 27 Inboard vs Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Still very new to sailing, bought a cat 22 to learn on but can't stop dreaming about my next boat! Still need to put the time in to assist in my decision but seems to be focusing on a catalina 27. The boat will mostly stay on lake in kentucky but hoping at least a couple times "hoping for more" I will take her to the east coast for some sailing! Have read that an outboard will be faster for racing should I want to do that. Also an outboard is not best option for harsh weather because the prop will leave the water in waves. Outboard cheaper and more easily replaced. Not sure these are correct. Wondering what the experienced sailer opinion are?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
From a C22, a C27 is a great step-up.

For a Catalina 27 the only reason to go OB is to save some cash. The IB (more so if its diesel) is more convenient to use, safer in bigger wind and seas, will have better range, generates electricity better, smells less, and will have better resale. Plus it looks a ton better, with no ugly OB hanging off that pretty transon.

The racing argument is always true in the absolute but will matter almost nothing in a C27.

Jul 28, 2012
Catalina 27 Annapolis
I love my C27 with in-board diesel. The only drawback is that access to the engine is tight as I am guessing that the C27 was originally designed for an outboard. If you can find one with low hours on it, go for it.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I agree with Jackdaw, in big water (rough water) situations the inboard by far. Had the outboard setup on our last boat (23') and found those conditions to be stressful at times. In our 4th year and find the diesel to be more than adequate. Go with a diesel if you have a choice. You will also have choices of wing vrs. fin keel, standard rig vrs. tall rig and tiller vrs. wheel. Good boat to move up to. Especially like the displacement, pushing 7,000 lbs. with us and stuff makes for a very comfortable sail in higher wind conditions.

jimoc

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 Newport Beach
I've had both. I like the ob better. Simpler and cheaper to service or replace the motor. Small used ob motors are cheap and readily available. Much more storage space available where the motor was. No fuel smell or explosion danger. Much lighter.

Jan 7, 2012
Steve hoping to find a tall rig as mostly will be sailing lake water, most of all the c27 I have seen have been fun keel, is the wing keel less stable? Just don't see that many figure has to be less desirable for a reason. Jackdaw, agree do not like the looks of motor hanging off back of boat. Did not think it would be a real big deal between the has/diesel option other than price. Figured both would be adequate for pushing the boat maybe not. What about horse power?

Nov 8, 2010
An inboard will have a much bigger prop sweep, will always be in the water, and will push prop wash over the rudder to aid steering even when the boat is barely moving. I can promise you that you will only need one time trying to hold the nose of a c27 into the wind in a blow and big waves before you wish you had a inboard. I had this happen on my old Catalina 25. A 27, that much more important.

True, outboards are less expensive to buy and maintain. But it's the only reason to have one.
In all other ways they are inferior. The only other argument that holds a bit of water for me is if you have NO local marine diesel mechanic. That could be problematic. The A4 OTOH is workable by any gas motor mechanic.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I just purchased our C27 myself knowing it had engine issues. Throttle cable is shot and reverse does not work to well, but it is an outboard. I have a new motor in the back of my truck and have budgeted 2 hours to replace the old one. $750 for a very solid 9.9 and away we go.

An inboard deisel would be nice but having the space to store my ding and its motor as well as not having to worry about tankage and additional through hulls is nice also.

If I had 3 types of 27s to choose from I probably would take the inboard deisel first due to the charging as the OB only puts out 3 amps, then the OB and last the atomic as I really don't like the idea of a gasoline inboard.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
As I mentioned, I've had both and it is a very valid point on the prop sweep. Maintainence and operation cost is debatable. The diesel sips fuel and other than the seasonal maintenance, oil & filter, it's been pretty cost efficient. It's a given, if you can't do some of the work yourself everything will cost more. I liked my 4 stroke Honda but it could be overwhelmed in higher wind conditions. Reversing or attempting to slow the boat in a following sea was tough. Mostly reliable for the five seasons I owned it. There is only one wing keel 27 at our marina and that is the only one I've personally seen. Would think a tall rig fin keel will point a little better and afford a little better light wind sailing. Do yourself a favor and check for the catalina smile. If it is present make sure you have the bilge pan inspected. Catalina glassed in a wood filler that can be prone to rotting if the pan is compromised. I was lucky, our 87' has a solid piece of wood but I still had to remove the fiberglass pan to affect repairs. Also check the chainplates for leaks. I replaced the starboard bulkhead on ours after finding some serious water damage.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
You pretty much know the score. I've got a Catalina-27 w/outboard and I love it. For me the advantages are:

• Lower cost of maintenance
  • More interior storage (where the inboard would be)
  • Lighter
  • Less drag in the water
  • Fewer leaks opportunities (fewer through-hulls for prop, intake, etc)

For the best outboard experience, go with a 4 stroke of at least 8 hp with a high thrust propeller. Inboards don't suck, but I love my OB.

Jan 7, 2012
Jackdaw, why is diesel different from any other diesel? Yea I know its in a marine environment but so is the atomic 4. Sorry if I asked a stupid question.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I considered both a Catalina 27 inboard and outboard before I bought my Hunter 27 Outboard. There is a lot more space on the Catalina 27 Outboard than the inboard version.

My outboard has elec start and remote shift, and does not have a tiller arm installed, and has a fixed motor mount that doesn't need raised or lowered. This means when I drive the boat, aside from tilting the motor up and down, you control the motor like an inboard with a shift / throttle lever in the cockpit, stearing only by the tiller. This eliminates 85% of the benefit of the inboard. 10% of the benefit is the larger prop far below the water line that cannot easily cavitate, that is an issue in some conditions, but not many, and the remaining 5% is the higher charge output (my outboard peaks at 70W / 5.3A), but with the solar installation I don't need any additional power from it anyway.

If you compare an outboard that hangs off a regular motor mount, that you pull start, shift from the side of the engine, and control throttle and steering from the tiller, you are going to significantly favor the inboard option, however if you can find (or change) an outboard to start off the key, and control shift and throttle from an in cockpit shifter, then the lower weight and additional space gain of the outboard really makes it a fantastic choice, sadly few sailboats have the outboard setup this way...

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw, why is diesel different from any other diesel? Yea I know its in a marine environment but so is the atomic 4. Sorry if I asked a stupid question.
Billy,

Fair point. I guess most truck diesel mechanics will expect the rig to come to them. But I guess any good wrench jockey that is willing to come over and crawl into your bilge qualifies!

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
All I'll say is: I have a C27 with an A4 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'd trade it for a C36......... But not the world!

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Once you trade up to an inboard diesel, you'll never touch an outboard again, for so many reasons. Even in 30kt winds the Model 18 will get you back to your slip, and you will NEVER run out of fuel with a 18 gal tank. Access to the engine is from 3 sides, tight in spots but doable.

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks to all who posted with their opinions. Looks as if the Cat27 tall rig with fin keel and diesel will be what I am looking for. For the most part an outboard would do the job and be cheaper on the wallet and more space. At 27 feet a premium! However, I don't want to take chances should I ever get into a situation with some bad weather. Diesel option #1 and atomic 4 option #2. Again thank you for your time.

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks to all who posted with their opinions. Looks as if the Cat27 tall rig with fin keel and diesel will be what I am looking for. For the most part an outboard would do the job and be cheaper on the wallet and more space. At 27 feet a premium! However, I don't want to take chances should I ever get into a situation with some bad weather. Diesel option #1 and atomic 4 option #2. Again thank you for your time.
Remember that most of the posts about the outboards in rough weather are talking about being on larger (usually salt) water bodies where it can quickly grow to 4-6 foot seas or more in rough weather. Most inland lakes don't have this issue. I'm not sure what lake you are sailing on, but if you won't be seeing that kind of weather, then the inboard won't be of as much benefit.

Jan 7, 2012
Agree 100% with you. Most of my time will be spent on lake water, however planning on traveling to the east coast a few times a year. "I Hope". Even then I will be very close to land. But just in case I get caught out in bad weather I want the best chance possible of getting back in. The Cat27 is a stepping stone on my long term plan. Hoping to but a bigger boat in ten years and semi retire to sailing and a slower pace of life. Dream and dream big I say.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
Remember that most of the posts about the outboards in rough weather are talking about being on larger (usually salt) water bodies where it can quickly grow to 4-6 foot seas or more in rough weather.
Let me just add that I do all my sailing in saltwater and have been caught in seas greater than 6 feet with strong winds halfway to Catalina. Since upgrading to a long shaft outboard with its high-thrust propeller, I've never had a problem. That wasn't always the case with my other outboards. There is more to sizing a correct outboard than horsepower alone.

Apr 8, 2010
Agree 100% with you. Most of my time will be spent on lake water, however planning on traveling to the east coast a few times a year. "I Hope".
I would argue then that space would be the primary deciding factor on a longer multi night trip, followed by preference of wheel vs tiller.

As already discussed a properly sized and setup outboard does not fall very short of the inboard in performance, plus is cheaper & easier to maintain, and gives you a good amount of extra cabin space / storage. The difference in charging abilitys can easily be offset with solar.

Ultimatly it's really which boat is in better condition and has been better updated, as either setup will do what you need to get you around.

Status
Not open for further replies.