On the bricks

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is there any evidence that he was anchored when his rode parted, setting him adrift for an undetermined time before he woke up aground? That might explained why he didn't know where he was and why anyone, including an experienced 73 year old sailor, seemed to be out sailing that late at night.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
That is the cockpit view of the MH60 Seahawk rotary wing, a variant of the Seahawk and Blackhawk. The classic USCG rescue horse. Those horns aren’t weapons, they are some kind of sensor or antenna. The guns are mounted low in the nose.
It was the object in the lower right of the photo. Looks like a barrel shroud, no?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Yes, the Jayhawk is the USCG variant, think it is the MH60T
Oh how things have changed. During the 4 yrs, 5 mo. and 2 hrs I spent in the USCG (but only 4 yrs behind the other engineers at the plant when I got out), all of the aircraft, except the C-130 could land in the water. I guess that's why they brought back the rescue swimmer, for those who are unable to propel themselves to the basket...:frown:

But back to the subject at hand; Bravo Zulu to the USCG personnel at Air Station Traverse City and CG District 9.
Not sure we will ever find out exactly why the sailor grounded. Just be careful out there and don't let this happen to you, no matter your "age".

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is very scant information available about the sailor and the boat. Hurray! for the coast guard and their heroic efforts in locating and rescuing this and other sailors. I can not express how much admiration I have for them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is there any evidence that he was anchored when his rode parted, setting him adrift for an undetermined time before he woke up aground? That might explained why he didn't know where he was and why anyone, including an experienced 73 year old sailor, seemed to be out sailing that late at night.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Lake Superior is huge, and ports can be over a daysail apart. Most boats passage-make to get where they are going. If he was port-hopping, likely he would have taken the Keweenaw Waterway. There are very few safe places to anchor in that area. Little protection and the water is very deep until you get to shallow water and rocky bottoms. Copper Harbor is an all weather refuge 12nm away, but its dangerous to enter after dark.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Interesting, the CG rescue swimmer took the guy off his boat, not the beach.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
He had his jib out and a tiny bit of RF main. Perhaps he hadn't given up all hope of a self-rescue.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
I think the video shows that the rescue swimmer swam him to shore ( he was already wearing an environmental suit) and basketed him up from the beach.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I think the video shows that the rescue swimmer swam him to shore ( he was already wearing an environmental suit) and basketed him up from the beach.
The SOP is for the rescue swimmer to get the crew clear of the vessel, and the hoist operator to get them up to the bird. They want to avoid a hoist cable wrap on the vessel that could endanger the recovery. If necessary the CG will provide the Gumby. But if this happens to you, plan on going for a swim.

Nov 8, 2010
Salvors sent from Bayfield WI (140nm) to the boat. Found keel and rudder broken off. Ordered to pump out all liquids and secure to shore. That location is totally exposed to the open lake. Its going to be fiberglass dust before the real witches show up in November. Right now blowing NE 33kts gusting 40kts. 14 foot wave height every 7 seconds.

43491402_2333527960008455_6131350442522705920_o.jpg

43570822_2333527866675131_6430162132033077248_o.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
I just spoke to the fisherman that brought the owner back to the boat the next day to attempt a salvage. When they got there the keel and rudder were off and the boat was full of water and sitting on the bottom. Pumps could make no gain. Said the owner said he 'lost track of where he was'. No insurance. Just bought the boat in Duluth and against recommendations to not depart (for Delaware) he left. On the bricks less than 24 hours later.