New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So tomorrow is the big day, test sail and purchase. I have the money transferred and some blank bill of sail forms to use, where is the VIN on this boat and also possibly the motor VIN and year?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Who thought that mounting the shore power plug on the hull topsides at the bow was a good idea??

Please tell me there is a marine grade 30A breaker as soon as the AC gets inside the hull.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for the VIN info Oliver.

The electrical is on the list, honestly it isn't the worst install I've seen, but still not really what I would do. For now, given our sailing planes for this season, I plan to leave it all alone for a winter project. Also I have a father in-law who installed electrical in Sea Rays in Palm Coast so I bet I can get his help on this project once I send him the pictures:)

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
And well you should. Chain plates need to be inspected and maintained but I have not heard that the O'day design was weak or otherwise faulty.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
And well you should. Chain plates need to be inspected and maintained but I have not heard that the O'day design was weak or otherwise faulty.
I would call it faulty. Seriously faulty. Deck penetration through balsa cored deck that seals poorly allowing water to ingress and cause structural wood to rot so that the rig is in danger of coming down. As it is under the mast deck plate. Balsa cored deck there as well and water gets in and rots the core. Doubtful there is one out there that has not had any issues with this. I know from experience of previous ownership and fixing the issues.

Edit: Forgot, yeah the toe rail fastener penetrations as well. So basically every deck penetration has the opportunity for starting rot as there is core everywhere.

Last edited:

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
You make me laugh... big grin, your ship terms are correct but chill dude. Until you disconnect, scrub, chem it with mold spray and a brush in between and a wet vac I stand here chin up, that you should not jump to conclusions, the poke trick don't always work. I seen your pictures, don't panic, is 40 years old dude. It's fiberglass and and a few board and hardware, yes, work. She will be a beauty, be calm and centered and focused, one thing at a time. .... ⚓

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Test sail went great, so she is now ours!

Whole family on board plus seller and his wife was a bit tight, but was doable. Sail around for about 2 hours, with main and jib just fine. Very forgiving boat, had wife on tiller bring her back in under sail then motor to navigate marina to dock. Kids loved it, wife loved it looking forward to warmer weekend trips.

Oh also did the poke with nail test in compression post base and chain plates, guess what solid. Also we had tons of rain last night, no leaks, I think I'm in better shape then I thought. Next weekend taking to other marina to pull out and seal though hull drains and transducer.

Last edited:

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Learn tricks like extra anchor for breaking into slip with no engine, the reverse main trick don't always work cause wind changes in Marinas. Happy for you guys.

Nov 8, 2010
Not wanting to pour gas on the fire, but in my sailing lifetime I have seen more O'days suffer total rig failure due to catastrophic chainplate/bulkhead failure than all other makes combined.

As long-time members know, I've got nothing against odays, and really like the old 28. But their chainplate/bulkhead technique was not their finest hour, design-wise. I would really look over any new-to-you boat, and keep it on the watch list.

The issue is the possible of water getting thru the deck, and the use of structural wood in the chainplate setup. You have to realize that this is not done in all boats, and certainly not best-practice. Many use a system of totally water resistant materials (stainless, fiberglasss) in their method of tying the shrouds to the hull.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks all, really appreciate the experience of everyone. I plan to still do work in these areas.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
You had to say all that Jack, got me crawling around with a flash light at 7 AM on a Sunday morning... Grin. All is good but I'm going to redo port stay plate, bottom two bolts. They sure made the walls cheap enough. My deck is sealed tight, one of the first things I did. I also don't like my seafurling connection, they use screws bolts and one under the bow lip popped through, top two are new.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
@Oliver , I hear you, I hate the use of screws in the construction of boats! My cabintop handrails are screwed in place, much to my chagrin.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I always defer to Jack Daw's experience but my comment comes from scouring the web for info on the O'day 25 when I started looking for one in 2012. I don't recall talk or reports of rig failures. Pretty sure I would remember hearing about rigs coming down specific to O'days. I do remember reading about other boats with things like shrouds connected to U bolts bolted to decks that have pulled out and SS chain plates being found with cracks and corrosion.

I did learn to be on the look out for soft spots on decks, wood rot in decks, bulkheads and sterns when looking for my boat but this is the first I've heard that O'days have the highest rate of total rig failures. Were these boats well maintained by knowledgable owners who had checked for wood rot in bulkheads or did the rigs fail in other ways than chain plates pulling out?

There is at least one O'day not full of rotted wood. Mine.

Of course, I probably just jinxed myself. :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Just finished getting the boat insured today and have the marina scheduled to haul her out this weekend. My objective is to seal up holes in the boat that aren't needed, the broken knot transducer in the bow and the overboard discharges which I believe are not legal anyway. The marina is sailboats only and has a good reputation from the locals for great work at good prices.

Last edited:

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Verify 6 foot draft, that is from the bottom of the keel to the top edge of the stripe. It's night here now SunCoast Florida but I will take picture of in out head valves. Mine is not connected but new head. It's a lot of safety work. Look where your cabin sink empties too... that's under waterline, and rusty, don't bump it, you'll sink ! Let's work together but please lighten up on the British terms and take a close-up of what your talking about. Tighten it up Mr Cunningham, ...where is the Cunningham on our boats ? Just me Oliver. Ps, I took down my own mast, almost broke my shoulder, took 7 of us to put it back up, yes, I been busy with this boat. She thinks she is in the running for the cup, I tell her no difference.

Last edited:

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Picture, left side, out flow toilet, middle intake, right ??? Ground maybe old head and I have disinfected tank under front of head, same color wires. I can legally go out 2 miles and dump my head. What you lake people do I don't know. We have barnacles, hate em.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks. Oliver for the pics, glad I don't have to deal with salt, just slime:)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Not wanting to pour gas on the fire, but in my sailing lifetime I have seen more O'days suffer total rig failure due to catastrophic chainplate/bulkhead failure than all other makes combined.

As long-time members know, I've got nothing against odays, and really like the old 28. But their chainplate/bulkhead technique was not their finest hour, design-wise. I would really look over any new-to-you boat, and keep it on the watch list.

The issue is the possible of water getting thru the deck, and the use of structural wood in the chainplate setup. You have to realize that this is not done in all boats, and certainly not best-practice. Many use a system of totally water resistant materials (stainless, fiberglasss) in their method of tying the shrouds to the hull.
Come on Jack! Whats with the straw man accusation? Just how many and what rig failures are you referring to? In 30 plus years I have not found one in our area. So long as the deck shows no moisture the chain plates should be fine. Please tell us what failures you refer to and what
design you feel is bullet proof. My chain plates are easily inspected.