Hurricane Mathew put my boat on the hard.. What do I do?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I saw the Craigslist posting yesterday,makes me wonder if it is the same boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It would be kind of weird if we had another hurricane come through and he was able to do exactly that. Note: I am NOT recommending or suggesting sailing (or even being aboard) during a hurricane.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
All kidding aside, and contributing as a self proclaimed scofflaw, this boat ain't moving by manpower and tools. This situation requires lift and drag power beyond boards, soap, come-alongs, and spikes set in terra firma. The Grampian 26 weighs in at 5000 lbs., the fin keel alone weighs nearly 1 ton. This project ain't happenin'.

My vote is to delete this entire thread, until @End80 comes back with additional feedback or requests for support. We've all read this, we've all contributed, we've all been curious, we are simply useless litigants if the boat becomes abandoned. I wanna know what the moderators think, especially @Brian D ? We can only make matters worse for a forum buddy if that boat stays abandoned on Tybee Is.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, and this is from a personal perspective, this thread is 8 months old. The images are no long available. I think you guys are keeping it alive because you are bored. Go sailing, or, go fishing. I would say let sleeping dogs lie, and just let this thread die a respectful death. JMHO

Officially if it becomes a festering sore which is causing too much heartache within this fine group, then I will lock it.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Officially if it becomes a festering sore which is causing too much heartache within this fine group, then I will lock it.
Ok Brian. I'm totally on board! If I get a call about a boat that I knew about abandoned after the hurricane, or any Russian involvement in Trump election, I'll plead the Fifth Ammendment. Apparently the fact of denial is acceptable...even if provable. Letting this thread pass away is no issue.

Bye!

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
I personally felt bad for end80. I did not have much growing up, what I did have I worked hard for. Insurance (more than liability) was a luxury most could not afford. I still wanted to live and Experiance life.
Many have commented harshly about end80 not having insurance and or the means to recover his boat. Many who offered advice on how to recover the boat were scoffed at. Some members complained that he and his boat was hurting the environment! Of course Hurican Mathew did not hurt the environment at all, other people are the REAL problem. Bang head!
If I were end80, I probably would never visit this forum again after reading many of the critical postings in this thread.
I would check on this thread as often as I could hoping for a positive outcome. Yesterday my daughter had just asked about whatever happened to the boat, I looked and saw the new posts hoping to read a happy ending.
The optimist in me says this is not a futile effort. The Egyptions built the pyramids with ropes, manpower, and grease moving tons of granit up earthen inclines. I think 20 or 30 men could push and pull that5,000 pound rounded hull downhill back to the water. I do not think aliens from outer space are necessary, nor do I think the polar ice caps will melt and raise the ocean level high enough to float end80's boat.
I have pushed many cars out of the ditch in a snow storm, pulled over a fixed a stranger's car stuck on the side of the road, I have even adjusted my dock neighbor's docklines during the night. Once, I jumped off of a rock breakwall into 4 foot swells with an approaching thunderstorm and swam out to help an elderly couple save their dingy. Once aboard, I got the old Evenrude started and the boat headed away from the rocks towards safety. Then due to the rocking and rolling, a line slipped over the side and fouled the prop. The husband smiled, raised the main and sailed the dingy back into it's slip before I could unwind the line from the prop shaft. I did not understand how the couple got into that predicament, especially after seeing the seamanship he displayed. Until I tried sailing a boat solo. Working together we saved the boat, the elderly couple did not get wet until the rain started while walking to their car. I sold my powerboat and started learning to how to sail.
I wish I could help get end80's boat off the hard...

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Really its a harmless thread of bored sailors needing to have conversation about something, or maybe needing to have conversation about nothing. At some point you get fatigued of politics and just need some mindless ramblings about something that is of interest, but not sensationalized by the media.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Exactly. I personally hope he gets the boat off the island! I check back hoping for a way forward too. We have all been in a bind before with factors blocking our progress. Sometimes we just need patience. Sometimes we need a helping hand. I think some of the ideas could work, but sadly, I think his means are scant. Perhaps he could start a Go Fund Me page or something to buy the plywood, rope, anchors, or other materials to make this work?
I do not mind at all that we continue to fiddle with this.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On another thread (give me a hand here JSG) they guy was asking for help to prepare his moored Grampian as H. Matthew bore down on his location. As someone who has lived through many hurricanes on the SE coast of the U.S.and knowing how this thing was going to track up the shore and stuff the coastal waters I restrained myself from letting him know that his moored boat was a goner. I say that with no particular satisfaction. Hurricanes are incredibly destructive and common in this part of the world and require total respect. End80 has been a good sport about all the free advice and has suffered much. He lost his boat, and now the state will be looking to recover the cost of chain-sawing it up and carting it away. There is a lesson here for all regarding your own preparation for this kind of destruction. Be prepared to lose it all, whether it be in Miami, Charleston, Annapolis, Brigantine, or Waterbury.

Nov 6, 2014
Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24 Beaver Lake
I too felt sorry for End80. By the time I first saw this thread, it appeared additional volunteer help from people with the type equipment required was unlikely. Without enough financial resources or more volunteer help, my guess is End80 may have had no choice but to abandon his efforts to recover his boat. By now, authorities may have destroyed it and hauled the pieces to a dump. We could speculate all day, but the bottom line is End80 most likely did lose it all.

Could be we'll hear from End80 again. At that time, we can all hope he'll have some good news to report. Hopefully, he'll tell us he was able to get another boat and move forward. Maybe an anonymous benefactor will have made life a little better for End80.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hurricane season is now upon us. Maybe what cast him ashore will now set him free?

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Grampian 26 Tybee Island GA
Well, I'm not sure what to make of this, but it seems coincidental..

My boat is still sitting over there from Hurricane Matthew. When Hurricane Irma was heading this way I had seriously considered going over there a few a day before the storm and preparing by running an anchor out towards the river and then camping out in the boat during the storm so that I could be there present for the storm surge after it passed.. I chickened out and didn't do it. -- I kind of wish I did because I noticed it had picked the boat up and turned it about 45%, it's still basically in the same place, maybe about 15 foot over, but still the same distance from the river - If I had only camped out prior to the storm on the boat then I figure I probably could have pulled it out by hand with the anchor rope. - Or so I assume.

Anyway, as for the present, this is the coincidental thing that happened.. (Bear with me a moment here) Yesterday Facebook alerted me an email that said something like "You have a memory today" which brought up an old post of mine from a few years ago in one of the facebook sailboat groups in which I had posted an experiment I did to determine if my Haier portable washing machine could operate off of solar power since it's measurements indicated it could fit in the hanging locker. Well, my post had detailed watt usage of wash spin etc, and the total wattage used for a wash load - Upon reading it again I figured I might as well post that in my Grampian 26 blog in case someone else would be interested. So last night that it what I did. (https://grampian26sailboat.blogspot.com)
Oddly enough, out of the blue I a friend of mine who I rarely run into, and haven't even seen since last summer calls me on the phone about 20 minutes ago and asked if my boat is still over there, I said yeah, it's not like its going anywhere. He replies "Well I have a tugboat now, it's over on Wilmington Island, I want to take the skiff over today or tomorrow to look it over and maybe we can pull it off". I said that would be great. He then said he had to do a few thing right now but he would be calling me back.

Believe me, I've had so many people tell me the last couple years they were going to help me.. some were going to bring their shrimp boat down, others were going to build contraptions to lift it to lower onto a trailer to move closer to the river (no clue how they thought they'd get a trailor over there), others saying they'd get their kayak group of about 40 people together to pull it off with blunt force... I've heard it all time and time again every few months for the last few years that I kind of get tired of it cause it all sound like bull, so I don't know if I should get my hopes up over this call today now.

But he called me out of the blue.. I didn't even know he had my number and I've only spoken to him maybe twice in the last couple years.. So why would he call out of the blue to offer this? Maybe this is for real this time.

The question is, how sound is my boat after laying on it's side in the dirt for so long? It was sound when it went up there, but could it still be now?