Find my leak and win a free dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Witzend, I have attached a photo which shows where the leak is. The upper and mid bearings are attached by 4 bolts. Water is not coming in between them where you would expect the packing to leak, but from the joint under the midbearing where it sits on the fiberglass reinforcement for the rudderpost. Also attached is the 310 spec which should be in your manual. Happy New Year thanks Paulj for the Photos from your previous Posts.

dave

Where is the mid bearing and why would the bearing provide a seal and not the packing. I posted the only drawing I have right now, which is the C34. The 310 is probably similar. Please mark on the drawing where your leak problem was if you have the means and re-post. Thanks,

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I don't believe that where your leak is is a Bearing at all. There is no "mid bearing" labled in the drawing you provided, just upper and lower. Where your leak is described is between the packing housing and the fiberglass rudder post. That is why I was confused from your description. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sep 29, 2009
When I spoke to Catalina they confirmed that there are 3 bearings on the rudderpost. They call them out on there parts list upper, mid and lower. The Lower which is the one on the outside where the rudder enters the hull, A midbearing and and upper bearing. The upper bearing and the midbearing comprise a set that have packing in between. When you remove the 4 bolts you can separate the upper and midbearing and see/replace the packing material if needed. My leak is below the midbearing. The drawing calls them upper gland and lower it really doesn't matter what they are called as it is the same part. I hope that clears it up for you.
I don't believe that where your leak is is a Bearing at all. There is no "mid bearing" labled in the drawing you provided, just upper and lower. Where your leak is described is between the packing housing and the fiberglass rudder post. That is why I was confused from your description. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
No, the upper bearing is at the top nowhere near what you are calling the "mid bearing" which is not a bearing at all (a bearing takes load a seal does not). I have not seen the parts list, but the drawing you provided are labeled "upper packing gland" and "lower packing gland".

Sep 29, 2009
Chill out my Catalina brother as I said this is what the factory who builds the boat calls them even though they refer to them as packing gland parts on there drawings as I also stated. In the fire service we use an Air Whip to fill our PPC's, but it has been called a Nagledinger for as long as anyone can remember. And my Chief rides around in a buggy even though its really a Chevy Suburban......... I believe my last sentence sums it up as I was only trying to identify for you with the pictures you requested where my leak is coming from. It really doesn't matter what they are called unless you are ordering new parts. The weather here in Seattle is still quite cold and fridgid by our standards and I have not tested my repair to the "Mid bearing" yet........................ But maybe today after my nap...........
No, the upper bearing is at the top nowhere near what you are calling the "mid bearing" which is not a bearing at all (a bearing takes load a seal does not). I have not seen the parts list, but the drawing you provided are labeled "upper packing gland" and "lower packing gland".

Status
Not open for further replies.